Sake and Satori: Japan (Asian Journals)

Sake and Satori: Japan (The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1954, famed mythologist Joseph Campbell traveled, at age 50, to Asia for the first time. In this second volume of his Asian journals, he continues East after nearly seven months in India, moving through Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and finally coming to rest, for a full five months, in Japan. Fueled by his remarkable eye for cultural differences and sim...more
cloth, 400 pages
Published November 13th 2002 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about Sake and Satori, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sake and Satori

Maggie Nowakowska
Excellent insight into Campbell's development as a thinker. Written in the early 50s, after Hero of a Thousand Faces and before the Masks of God series. He's a great writer, even in his diaries, and a good travel companion. Recommended for anyone who enjoys Campbell's works.
Ryan
Travel books are often interesting, and reading the journal of a man as intelligent as Joseph Campbell especially so. Unfortunately, however, I don´t have the background to understand a lot of the references he makes. I guess I will have to read the books he wrote based on the thoughts he recorded in his journals - then maybe I´ll have a better idea of what´s going on.

I especially liked Campbell´s attitude towards travel; courtesy and fearlessness. Go explore everything, without fear, while re...more
Kent Huffman
This is Campbell's journal of his travels in Japan just after WWII. In addition to being a photograph of a country on the brink of a massive cultural shift, Campbell's deep respect of culture and philosophy shine through everything he records in these pages. It makes me wish both that I could travel to Japan during this decade, and that I could travel with Campbell himself.

Not for everyone, but if you love travel, have a basic knowledge of Eastern philosophy, and any interest in Campbell himself...more
David Melbie
Dec 11, 2010 David Melbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: You know who you are.
Recommended to David by: I'm a big fan.
Excellent. I enjoyed this as much as the first volume -- Baksheesh & Brahman. In presenting these journals, New World Library is showing how Joe's mind worked and how by writing things and thoughts down, one has the sense of how things should finally be drawn together and become what was Joe's main theme of his work: Comparative Mythology! --From A Reader's Journal, by d r melbie.
Eddie
Journals usually become famous for reknown destinations, common rendezvous or satirical explanations of foriegn cultures. This book contains none of these. If you are not a fan of the culture (or curious as to why it's got such a cult-esq popularity) than this is not a read for you.
Don Campbell

I suspect that a certain familiarity with Campbell is necessary to more fully enjoy this book.
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Daniel Gullotta
Daniel Gullotta marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Glenn I.
Glenn I. marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Tay
Tay marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Lt
Lt marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Jason Somers
Jason Somers marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Ian Pubman
Ian Pubman marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
20105
Joseph John Campbell was an American mythology professor, writer, and orator best known for his work in the fields of comparative mythology and comparative religion.
More about Joseph Campbell...
The Power of Myth The Hero With a Thousand Faces Myths to Live By Primitive Mythology (The Masks of God, #1) Oriental Mythology (The Masks of God, #2)