Start by marking “Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)” as Want to Read:
Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years, #2)

Little Town at the Crossroads (Little House: The Caroline Years #2)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,835 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Meet Caroline Quiner...the little girl who would grow up to be Laura Ingalls' mother. Caroline watches eagerly as new beginnings spring up overnight and more and more families move into the growing town of Brookfield, Wisconsin. There are all sorts of new, exciting things for Caroline to do! She marches in her first Independence Day parade, a circus comes to town, and new ...more
Published April 17th 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Little Town at the Crossroads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Town at the Crossroads

Cheryl
Martha is still a more interesting character - I actually do want to keep reading the series to learn about her. I suppose that, by making Caroline (and, really, all the little girls in these different series) rather generic, the little girls reading them can identify with them, empathize with them, better.

I also have a small nit to pick - it's highly unlikely that the books mentioned would have made it to Brookfield the year they did - they were very-newly published. I could be wrong, as Wilke
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars Enjoyable, though I'm starting to tire of too many anecdotes that are too similar to ones in the original books. Still, the writing is better than in the other non-Laura Little House books I've read so far, and who knows how narrow the guidelines were for this commissioned work.

It is interesting that Caroline is not portrayed much like the even-tempered, somewhat narrow-minded adult she became, so I'm curious to see how her character develops. This spinoff usually does best when it ta
Rebecca
This was a perfectly fine entry in the series, episodic and with no throughline. It seems to have been based on original accounts by Caroline Quiner's sister, and I think maybe the author stuck too close to the originals to give the book just a little more cohesion. But then, the original Little House books were just accounts of daily life, so perhaps no more is needed.
02michellek
Little Town at the Crossroads By Maria D Wilkes
By Michelle King period 2 English

The book I read is called little town at the crossroads. It about this girl named Martha and her family. This book takes place back in around the 17 and 18 hundreds. Some ideas about this book was well they did farming. Which wasn’t the main idea but obviously for a pioneer family they of course needed food to survive.

The book was organized very well. I liked how it was about a pioneer family living in the west. I d
Kasey
This was a great read. I really liked learning more about Ma when she was a little girl and how she grew up in Wisconsin. I would greatly encourage Little House fans to read the whole little house series beginning with Laura's great grandmother, Martha, and ending with Laura's daugher, Rose. It was so much fun reading about the different times these women lived in. Rated three stars because it is way below my reading level so it is a entertaining fast read.
Lisa Baker
I loved it! It followed young Caroline through her many adventures (seeing a traveling circus, white" bears" in the woods, learning her family had to leave their home). I can't wait yo read the next exciting chapter in the Quiner family's life.
Rosa Cline
This is the second book in the Little House books Caroline series. As with the others this second book was better than the first due to already knowing the characters and being able to just enjoy the storyline and being 'there in the moment' with them. A simple but heartwarming easy read, perfect to help drift your mind into another time and place before you have to go to bed. Love these books!
Zoe
While these books don't have the detail of day to day life that the originals written by Wilder have, they do a beautiful job of showing the reactions of a young girl to the changes of a pioneering life, and give us some insight on how Laura Ingalls mother became the strong woman we saw in the books.
Celine
The setting is in Brookfield, Wisconsin. The main character is Caroline, who became the mom of the famous Laura Ingalls. This book is really interesting and talks about life in the prairies before it was settled. Life was hard in the prairies but this book talks about the fun they had, too.
Amy Flink
I loved this book as much as the first one!! My favorite parts were when Caroline befriends the German girl, Elsa, and when the circus comes to town and Caroline is convinced that two white bears have escaped from the circus and that she saw them climbing trees in her back yard!
Noelle
'Little House at the Crossroads' was better than the first one, being a bit quicker-paced and with more exciting things happening in the story. However, it still is from a very small girls view, so it's still not my favorite. I still gonna keep reading the series, though!
Lynn
I have never read any "Little House on the Prairie" books. Having said that, I enjoyed the details the author put into this story. The story itself was kind of choppy and hard to follow in places, but I really enjoyed the perspective.
Emily
Jul 28, 2011 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoyed laura's books
I have been reading the Caroline Years and the Laura Years ever since I was a kid so whenever I read this book I remember a bunch of memories of what I thought of the book when I first read it. This book is like an old friend to me.
Gl
Jan 21, 2008 Gl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: laura ingalls fans
I am a huge fan of the Laura Ingalls stories!!! The tried and true Laura stories are by far my favorites, but when I came across stories of her great-grandmother all the way down to her daughter, I was thrilled.
Heidi
Interesting how each of the Little House series shows so much growth. It seems like that's all America was doing, no matter whey they went. They were on their own, and then a town would spring up later.
Evelyn
Aug 18, 2012 Evelyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
so far it is good. I am really enjoying it. It is one of toughs books you need to read all of them to understand the Characters and what's happening
Britt-goodie of newsieness
It was in my mad rush to finish the Caroline series. I don't really remember it. I'm bad! I'm a bad bad girl! WAH WAH WAH!!
Amy
Enjoyed this story, looking forward to the next one. Bummed that most of this "series" is out of print and incomplete.
Na
It is a good book. I get to know how things were during the early years of the American lived.
April Brown
One story of the mother of Laura Ingalls Wilder. Lots of fun and laughs, a good afternoon read.
Grace Gordon