Start by marking “Creating Characters Kids Will Love” as Want to Read:
Creating Characters Kids Will Love

Creating Characters Kids Will Love

With examples from successful children's books and exercises throughout, this book provides strategies for developing characters with whom kids can identify.
Published September 1st 2000 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Creating Characters Kids Will Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Characters Kids Will Love

Elizabeth Kenitz
Some good content, but nothing mind-bending. The last four chapters weren't really necessary (in my opinion) because they were more about how to interview people than how to write characters. Still, there were some great tips for anyone unsure of how to portray children in fiction, and plenty of book recommendations and "Try It"s included.
Garry
Feb 19, 2015 Garry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good advice carefully and clearly given. Lots of suggested reading...with helpful points on what those authors/books do particularly well. An array of exercises to get the juices flowing, ideas generated, and stretch those writing muscles. Nothing earth shattering or eye opening here, but for new and new-ish writers looking for a patient and friendly guide to new terrain or encouraging voice reminding you what you need to, well, remember this is a quick and accessible guide to character creation ...more
Sheri
Sep 24, 2009 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great reads for Writing and getting structural ideas. And I liked all the ideas for beginning new pieces. I haven't had writer's block just liked all the suggestions for new ideas. Still wasn't sold on buying a copy for myself.
Lauri Meyers
Apr 27, 2015 Lauri Meyers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-books
In depth instruction about character development, point of view, internal conflict and plot development, types of characters (from aliens to grown ups to real adults in nonfiction.
Lyn
Lyn rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Kusumastuti
Kusumastuti rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2008
J.H. Everett
J.H. Everett rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2010
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Jill Corcoran
Jill Corcoran rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Yoan
Yoan rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2008
Amy Moreno
Amy Moreno rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2011
Kate Robertson
Kate Robertson rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2011
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2015
Trisha
Trisha rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2009
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Shonica
Shonica rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2010
Mary Kincaid
Mary Kincaid rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Monique Berry
Monique Berry rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Laurie Thompson
Laurie Thompson rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Emily Gray
Emily Gray rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Dennis Young
Dennis Young rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Cathy Cole
Cathy Cole rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Denise Ortakales
Denise Ortakales rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2009
Betsy Haynes
Betsy Haynes rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
Ary Nilandari
Ary Nilandari rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Gail Shepherd
Gail Shepherd rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2014
I was born on 30 October 1955 in San Francisco, California, and attended Lafayette Elementary School in San Francisco. Then my family moved to New York City, where I attended William H. Carr Junior High School. This is a school picture of me from my junior high school days. After that we moved to Houston, and I went to Westchester High School and on to Rice University.
More about Elaine Marie Alphin...