Start by marking “Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence” as Want to Read:
Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence

Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence (Miss Zukas #8)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This Ain't No Garden Party

In a boldly personal move, Police Chief Wayne Gallant has arranged a meeting between his children and Bellehaven's beloved librarian Helma Zukas. But the fates have not yet smiled on this pair, as the long overdue introductions are interrupted by murder. For not only is Helma's newest neighbor pushing up roses in her garden, her latest crop's a c

Paperback, Large Print, 310 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by Thorndike Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Zukas Shelves the Evidence

#8 in the Helma Zukas mystery series set in fictional Bellehaven, WA. Helma, a librarian, is meeting her "friend" Wayne Gallant's teenage children for the first time when they visit from out of town. Before they can spend much time together, Wayne--who is also the chief of police--is seriously injured when he falls or was pushed from a cliff, sustaining a serious head injury.

He was investigating the death of a professor from a local university, at first thought to be a heart attack until an inj
I've read others in this series before--really a fun read and if you do follow the series it's interesting to see how the characters change over time-and how relationships shift. I love the character of the librarian Miss Zukas whose world is so orderly until she falls in love with the police chief. The author does a good job creating her characters and depicting the politics of not only daily life in the police station but daily life in the library! Very enjoyable read!
Does the confidentiality of patrons reading trump the police's request for that information in the pursuit of a criminal? For the librarian Miss Zukas, there is no debate, even when it is her friend who has been the victim of a of the serious crime. This is one of the best in the series. Recommended
Second Miss Zukas I've read. What bugs me about her is she's a 39 year old spinster but she behaves more like a 65yo [no offense to 65 yo's- I'm almost there myself:]: prissy, neat, old-fashioned, drives too slow, grouses at bad manners. She must work in a very rich library since it seems like almost everyone, including staff at circulation has an MLS degree and the biggest problem is rivalry over positions like "chair of the pamphlet case committee to select a new display rack"- give me a brea ...more
Miss Helma Zukas is a librarian in Bellhaven, Washington, who does things by the book (pun intended). In this story, she investigates the murder of a retired college professor. Her boyfriend, Wayne Gallant, the chief of police has been injured in the process of the investigation and Helma has been left to care for his two teenaged children while solving the crime. Miss Zukas is not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy her quirks and rigidity along with her ability to continue her high school frien ...more
Librarian extraordinaire, Helma Zukas, solves another case of murder in small town Bellehaven, WA. Who killed professor Dixon, leaving a young widow, and who pushed Police Chief Gallant off a cliff to cover the crime? But there's a library book left at the scene...
Fun cozy mystery series.
I’ve read the other books in this series. While, in a way, they’re cute, Helma Zukas has developed into such a stereotypical, self-righteous, uptight librarian that I’ve begun to hate her. Ah well.
Jo Dereske is a librarian and a wonderful writer!! The Miss Zukas books are set in a quasi-Bellingham city, and that make them especially fun for me to read.
Mary  (Biblophile)
I've read all this series. Miss Zukas may be a prig, but her friend Ruth is a hoot.
I love Miss Zukas but her actions in this one were a little over the top.
This is one of my favorite series. Perhaps because I was a librarian.
Miss Zukas does the right thing! and solves the case herself.
more like a 1.5 than 2
Tangeline Sechrist
Tangeline Sechrist marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Emily added it
Sep 05, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Almeta marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Jennifer Greene
Jennifer Greene marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)
  • Introducing Aunt Dimity, Paranormal Detective: The First Two Books in the Beloved Series
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • A Killing Gift (April Woo, #8)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
  • The African Quest (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #5)
  • Secrets On Saturday
  • Lovely in Her Bones (Elizabeth MacPherson, #2)
  • Stray Kat Waltz (Kat Colorado, #9)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • The Body in the Piazza (Faith Fairchild, #21)
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)

I grew up in rural Michigan, greatly influenced by my Lithuanian roots. I'm one of those tedious people who wanted to write stories as soon as I learned to read, but believed I had to leave Michigan first. In fact, I couldn't wait to shake off that Michigan dust! Curiously, everything I write seems to have a connection to Michigan or my Lithuanian heritage.
I now live in the beautiful foothills of

More about Jo Dereske...

Miss Zukas (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1)
  • Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2)
  • Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3)
  • Miss Zukas and the Raven's Dance (Miss Zukas, #4)
  • Out of Circulation (Miss Zukas, #5)
  • Final Notice (Miss Zukas, #6)
  • Miss Zukas in Death's Shadow (Miss Zukas, #7)
  • Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)
  • Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)
  • Index to Murder (Miss Zukas, #11)
Miss Zukas and the Library Murders (Miss Zukas, #1) Miss Zukas and the Island Murders (Miss Zukas, #2) Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (Miss Zukas, #3) Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9) Catalogue of Death (Miss Zukas, #10)