Start by marking “I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like: A Comprehensive Compilation of History's Greatest Analogies, Metaphors, and Similes” as Want to Read:

The murals in restaurants are on a par with the food in museums.

America is an enormous frosted cupcake in the middle of millions of starving people.

Critics are like pigs at the pastry cart.

Describing something by relating it to another thing is the essence of metaphorical thought. It is one of the oldest activities of humankind—and one of the most impressive when done skil
Published August 5th 2008 by Harper (first published August 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like

Mark
Jul 17, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it
I love the title. A wonderful collection of analogies, metaphors, and similes. A collection of quotes through history up to current day. Great gift book. My favorites include:
* "Turn your mind upside-down now and then, like an hour-glass, let the particles run the other way."
* "A lighthouse in a sea of absurdity."
* "Books, the instant vacation for your tired mind."
Angela Juline
Feb 03, 2017 Angela Juline rated it really liked it
I love quotes! I've been collecting them since I was 15...but clearly Grothe is a much better collector and organizer.
Bart Hopkins
Apr 23, 2017 Bart Hopkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! Perfect for anyone interested in words and metaphors.
Akhil Jain
Oct 02, 2016 Akhil Jain rated it really liked it
My fav quotes (not a review):
Page 89 |
"The lights are on, but there’s nobody home."
Page 91 |
"She is a phenomenon of nature, like Niagara Falls or the Grand Canyon. You can’t talk to it. It can’t talk to you. All you can do is stand back and be awed by it."
Page 92 |
"beautiful palace without central heating."
Page 94 |
"He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened."
Page 95 |
"He was like a cock who thought the sun had risen to hear h
Nancy
Jan 19, 2009 Nancy rated it did not like it
Open it up, you're going to find some good ones: "A two-year-old is like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it." (Jerry Seinfeld)
And: "If you're black, you got to look at America a little bit different. You got to look at America like the uncle who paid for you to go to college, but who molested you." (Chris Rock)
And one I like because I don't really get it:"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom." (Soren Kierkegaard)
Beef #1: too many metaphors about celebrities. Beef #2: What's with
Joel Rockey
Oct 04, 2016 Joel Rockey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable read. I love metaphors and this book did not disappoint.
Pseudonymous d'Elder
Jul 09, 2013 Pseudonymous d'Elder rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
“A Review Written Mainly in Metaphors (and other figurative language and things you would be better off not knowing about).

This book of metaphors is an ocean of great depths and of shallows that smell sort of like fish. It is not a bad book, and the title is certainly descriptive. Dr. Grothe collects metaphors, similes, and other figurative language in the same way a supermarket acquires potato chips--wholesale. Some of the observations in this collection are as wise as the proverbial ass. Some
Kelli Pearson
Jul 24, 2010 Kelli Pearson rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book had many cool thoughts and quotes, no question. However, I found the presentation a bit lumpy. Instead of a nice, thematic selection of good quotes, this book was limited a bit by only selecting the ones that include metaphors (and I felt several so-so quotes were included simply because they filled the role of metaphor or of explaining metaphors). Worse, the author feels it necessary to EXPLAIN many of the best quotes and word plays. It's like telling a really masterful joke, and then ...more
MizziQ
Apr 24, 2011 MizziQ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sort of read it. This book is put together in such a way that it is hard to read all the way through as a book. It has fun and smart quotes/metaphors. I can definetly relate to the author as he collects quotes as I do and that was fun. The reason I only gave it 3*'s was there was a whole section that had metaphors revolving around sex. This was unneeded to make this book complete and this is the only real big fault I found with this book. Otherwise it was a fun read that I will be going back t ...more
Richard Labombard
Feb 08, 2017 Richard Labombard rated it really liked it
Shelves: bcls
This book is itself a good metaphor: reveals more than what is expressed in its words.

Recommended reading for every reader, required reading for every writer and essential reading for every poet!
Kate
Jun 01, 2009 Kate rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: collectors, dilettantes
Recommended to Kate by: Excelsior library
Shelves: linguas
"The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast."

"He shows all the backbone of a chocolate eclair."

"Ignorance is the night of the mind."

"Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act."

"The heart of another is a dark forest, always, no matter how close it has been to one's own."

"Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull."
Claudia
Jan 03, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all fans of the English language.
Recommended to Claudia by: Terri!
I really enjoyed this one...Grothe literally spent years of his life collecting metaphors, analogies, and similes, and he knows how to use them. He has arranged them according to themes: sports, politics, love, family...Many are by well-known authors and celebrities, but many are my people I've never heard of. I highlighted a bunch, sticky-note tagged others, and copied my very favorites.

What fun this one was!
Emily
Apr 09, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I love language and literary humor, plus the title is frickin awesome. I highly recommend it if you love metaphors, and even if you don't, you should read it because it's entertaining and humorous and you just might learn something.

It's hard to pick a favorite from all the wonderful examples in this book, but this one actually made me laugh out loud:

"Yachting is like standing in a cold shower and tearing up hundred-dollar bills."
Jacob
I thought it was good but should have expected what I was being sold. It made me think quite a bit, but I was never gripping it a tightly as possible while I was on the edge of my seat. Nor was I ever laughing with tears down my face. It truly was just a book about metaphors and, there's nothing wrong with that. I just don't feel that it deserves a higher rating. It was simply middle of the pack.
Kassiecarrell
Feb 28, 2009 Kassiecarrell rated it it was amazing
If you want to amuse yourself and your friends with wonderful Metaphorical phrases then read this book. I have laughed my pants off and found myself pondering life, my life. So when someone is talking about love you can add your little metaphor and lighten the mood...Love is an exploding cigar we willingly smoke. Lynda Barry
Tippy Jackson
Nov 14, 2009 Tippy Jackson rated it liked it
Shelves: quotes
This was a fun book. A very wide range of quotes and commentary on many of them. Sometimes the commentary was just stating the obvious, while sometimes it provided a bit of context that made them more interesting. Overall fun, but definitely a casual, pick up, read a few and put down kind of book rather than a straight through read. Obviously.
Shauna
Nov 14, 2008 Shauna rated it liked it
Not that this book didn't have a lot of great analogies and wordplay, because it did, but really, it was hard to read chapter after chapter of quotes. And that tended to get boring. The most profound piece of prose isn't interesting when it's on the fourth page of "Quotes about Government." So I'd say it's more of a bathroom book, to be read in fits and starts.
Tom
Jul 15, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
Interesting compilation of "one-liners" and zingers, as well as though provoking sayings. Grothe did an good job of keeping on subject and organizing these metaphorical sayings into his topical chapters.
Daniel
Jan 06, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing
A superb collection of profound and humorous analogies, similes and metaphors on a wide range of topics. My highlighter collapsed from exhaustion halfway through and had to be replaced. I'm already looking forward to reading another of Mr. Grothe's compilations.
Emily
Jan 19, 2009 Emily rated it liked it
This book is lots of fun--it has examples of really fantastic and unexpected metaphors, similies, and the like, but those are also intertwined with examples of simple analogies that work better in greeting cards. Good for bathroom reading :)
Jeff
Sep 16, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This is more of a reference book rather than something to read, end to end. That said, it is well-indexed, helpful, and can vastly improve one's writing by choosing an appropriate metaphor. Excellent.
George
Aug 15, 2010 George is currently reading it
There is no finishing a book like this. It is meant to be savored and then, re-read. As a fan of Dr. Grothe, there is no disappointment in this book so far. He continues to bring apotheosis to the aphorism and I look forward to more.
Jaci
Sep 27, 2008 Jaci rated it really liked it
Great insight on many topics via those who can say it so much better: "Great writing is easy. You just sit down at the typewriter, open up a vein, and bleed it out drop by drop." -- Walter "Red" Smith
"Marriage is the scud missle of relationships." -- Murphy Brown television series
Rena Jane
Feb 24, 2010 Rena Jane rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, light-hearted read that stopped me in my tracks a few times and made me think, chuckle, or yell, "Right on!"

He has lots of quotes and metaphors from all eras and authors - Aeschyeles to Zinner. Glad I bought it and read it.
Glenda Dekkema
Jul 08, 2013 Glenda Dekkema rated it it was amazing
Good bathroom reading.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower,
for nectar that I can make into my own honey."
Полиграф
Jul 08, 2009 Полиграф rated it it was ok
A book of metaphors is a bottle of vitamins: full of nutrients that are more satisfyingly obtained from their original sources.
Kelly Park
Sep 19, 2008 Kelly Park rated it it was amazing
i'm almost done, and this book is fantastic. hilarious and truthful and full of wonderful quotes. but be warned, you will start thinking of life in metaphors.
Raymond
Mar 25, 2009 Raymond rated it really liked it
fun
Kimberli Reynolds
Jan 16, 2011 Kimberli Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Funny stuff and great metaphors!
Zowie
Oct 01, 2008 Zowie added it
What I learned from this book: I truly am a nerd.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • The Word Museum: The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten
  • Crazy English
  • Words Fail Me: What Everyone Who Writes Should Know about Writing
  • Making Shapely Fiction
  • Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People behind Everyday Words
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • The Novel Writer's Toolkit: A Guide To Writing Novels And Getting Published
  • 100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses and Misuses
  • 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
  • The F-Word
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Misused Words You'll Never Confuse Again
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Writing Dialogue
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style

“An idea is a feat of association, and the height of it is a good metaphor.” 0 likes
“Everybody, soon or late, sits down to a banquet of consequences.” 0 likes