Start by marking “Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse” as Want to Read:
Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse

Stone Song: A Novel of the Life of Crazy Horse

Of all the great warriors of Native America, Crazy Horse remains the most enigmatic. Scorned from his childhood for his light hair, he was a man who spurned the love of finery and honors so characteristic of Lakota Sioux warriors. Despite these differences, Crazy Horse led his people to their greatest victory at the Battle of the Little Big Horn where General Custer fell.

C
Published March 15th 1996 by Forge Books (first published June 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Song

Chris

Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley courtesy of Open Road.

Blevins’ novel traces the lift of Crazy Horse from young adult hood to his death. Unlike many writers, Blevins does not fall into the trap of making any one character or race too saintly or too demonized.

When the reader first meets Crazy Horse, he isn’t called Crazy Horse, but Curly. He is trying to find his place not only in his tribe but within himself. This first section of the novel is not quite a coming of age story but more of a feelin
Cam
Jul 14, 2008 Cam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THis is a fictional book aboutthe life of Crazy Horse. He was fairly secretive so alot of things are second had from others who survived him and some inference on Lakota mysticism. It dwells alot on that mysticism, what drove him to act the way he did, why he was The Strange Man, why he fought so hard and then came in to the reservation. I have read it 3 times and finished it again recently. I really enjoyed it this time through. It does have some adult scenes that the author ties to Crazy Horse ...more
Mona  AlvaradoFrazier
Rarely has a book immersed me so fully into the story as Stone Song. Win Blevins is an incredible writer. The reader goes on the journey with His Crazy Horse, an Oglala Lakota, from puberty to his death, through the time of being a warrior to a captive. In each scene you feel you are there in the mountains, lodges, and battles, thus is Blevins remarkable ability for description, setting, and characterization.

I mourned the losses and way of life for His Crazy Horse and his people. This was a per
Dee
Jan 30, 2017 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Stone Song, designated a novel of the life of Crazy Horse, is much more than just a story of one man’s life. Author Win Blevins creates a feeling of campfires, as if we were all gathered around after a good meal and listening to him tell a story of a great warrior who lived long ago. The poetic nature of his words is enticing and haunting, making it easy to become lost in the story.

Along the way, Mr. Blevins introduces a culture and religious beliefs, the world of Crazy Horse and the Lakotas. Un
Bradford
Jan 18, 2013 Bradford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Drum-on-His-Back and Crazy Horse had never heard anything like it. Instead of putting themselves on the side of great powers, the whites asked the powers to be on their side. Odd people, you could never understand them."

A powerful biographical novel that puts the Native American Lakota beliefs and feelings front and center, as it should. I have trouble stomaching nonfiction, so I jumped at the opportunity to read a personable tale of Crazy Horse and the tragic slice of American History he lived
Benjamin Thomas
Win Blevins first published this story of Crazy Horse (or more properly, “His Crazy Horse”) back in 1995 and it has since become a must-read for those interested in the history of the Western US or of the Native American tribes of the 1800s.

This is a biographical novel, meaning that the author describes historical events in as much detail and with as many facts as possible. But, of course, not everything is known and so the author must embellish where necessary and provide his best guess at what
Polly Krize
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A well-written, highly researched portrait of His Crazy Horse, the Lakota warrior/chief. From his beginnings as an outcast of the tribe to his becoming a respected chief, Win Blevins has given us an inside look at not only Crazy Horse the man but at the whole Indian picture in the 1860s. From the ecstasies of the fight and the hunt to the ultimate betrayal by the whiteman, Crazy Horse maintained a dignity and honor to himself and hi
Margaret
Sep 02, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
historial fiction: story of life of Crazy Horse from Crazy Horse's point of view

warning: you'll never be able to look on MT Rushmore again without feeling a deep sorrow for how it desecrates holy land
Kathleen Gear
Feb 20, 2014 Kathleen Gear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy Horse is one of those spectacular American heroes, but no one has ever captured the spiritual underpinnings of his life the way this book does. A "must read" for all fans of western, Native Americian, or historical fiction.
Qwert
Can anybody tell me the plot structure for this book?
K
Feb 19, 2017 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to love this book, as I'm interested in the topic, and typically enjoy historical fiction that purports to bring to life interesting figures from the past. Win Blevins clearly knows his subject matter and has obviously extensively researched the topic of Crazy Horse and the Lakota (Sioux) tribes of the 1800's.
That said, I just didn't love it. The first half of the book, spent on Crazy Horse's upbringing and "vision" felt sluggish and labored. His lifelong love (and on/off affair
E.P.
Jan 13, 2017 E.P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lakota warrior known as Crazy Horse is one of the more romantic and yet enigmatic and tragic figures in American history: surprisingly little is known about the man who led the Sioux to a series of successes against the US Army, before being arrested and killed in prison. This book takes the bare facts of Crazy Horse's life and spins them into a moving and compelling novel that delves into the fictional Crazy Horse's mind and motivations.

In the 20th-anniversary edition, the author explains h
Ann
Jan 27, 2017 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I enjoyed reading about the Native Americans traditions and ways of life. It also taught me a few words of their vocabulary. The author did lots of research on the names in this book and other things. I also learned some things I did not know before like what certain marking on a horse or a Indian meant. Told by a young boy named Strange Man who was eager to grow up and receive a spirit guide. He was different then the others - he had lighter skin and sandy blonde hair . He also ...more
Dick Whittington
Feb 14, 2017 Dick Whittington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated-4-stars, 2017
An interesting, educational and enjoyable read about the life and times of Crazy Horse. His was a full life but far from easy or happy. He is most often remembered as one of the leaders of the Indians who defeated Custer in the Battle of the Little Bighorn. He grew up part of a free tribe living on the planes of south-central and southeast Montana...fought the intrusion of the White settlers, miners and soldiers...and died alone, frustrated and unhappy as a prisoner on the reservation. Well writ ...more
Shirley A. Skerness
A Warrior Who Loved His People

I chose this many stars because it was the best Book I have read about Crazy Horse. The depth he went into to know the man, warrior and his beliefs. The trials he had to face and unbelievable hardships he wore as a medal to his persona. An incredible history of our injustices to his people we as newbies forced on the Indians, we did not try to understand their ways of life.
Rene
Jan 30, 2017 Rene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing experience

I started the book thinking that I would not have the patience to trod the path of native poetry and spirituality that is the language of this experience. How glad I am that I persevered! This book will open your eyes to a new and much deeper understanding of native American culture, at a time when we can most appreciate it, given the selfless protests against the pipeline. Bravo.
Steve
Feb 21, 2017 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Spiritual Man

This one started a little slowly for me. After awhile I became totally absorbed in this story of a very spiritual, honorable and brave warrior of a proud and mistreated people. It is a mostly true depiction of the exploitation of native Americans by the U.S. government and its representatives.
Stephen Thompson
Jan 12, 2017 Stephen Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. Don't expect an action packed novel with pages of blood and gore. Very little on Little Big Horn and it was almost politics centric. It kept me interested and I have continued to research some of the names from the book.
Karen
Jan 21, 2017 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride

An excellent book. I enjoyed Stone Song from start to finish. The story of Crazy Horse as told here is biographic fiction. But the fiction is so well supported by the facts that it allows the heart and spirit of a great man to fill out the story.
Al
Feb 04, 2017 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written historical fiction about the life and times of His Crazy Horse, a true leader of his people, the Lakota, and a man of the earth. Clearly characteristics lacking in many modern day "leaders".
Phillip E Maynard
Awesome!!!

I learned so much from this book. It was so well written and based on historical research and understanding, that's not always easy. At times I just couldn't put it down.
Gayle Mills
Feb 04, 2017 Gayle Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Well this story was pretty interesting . Crazy Horse is an interesting character along with the others. The story is mostly true.
Bill Barber
Glad I read this book. Well written, seemingly well researched. To me 'tho it dragged at times. But maybe that's just me.
Denice Darland
Jan 20, 2017 Denice Darland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immersion

A true telling that immerses you into the life of the Lakota people. Excellent reading for anyone interested in exploring other times, peoples and places.
Debra
Jan 19, 2017 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it!

One of the best books I have ever read! What a story! The terrible things done to Native Americans by whites is overwhelming. An atrocious history.
Dave Webber
Jan 17, 2017 Dave Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Historical Biography disguised as a Great Book

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I know it is based on true events, but the point of view telling of the story allows you to fall into the story instead of reading a dry history book.
Kae
Jan 16, 2017 Kae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent

Well written, provided a living feel for the life of His Crazy Horse. The story was supported by history and ThePeople.
bette l milburn
Jan 14, 2017 bette l milburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Could not put this book down!

This book helped me to understand some of the feelings I've had inside me since a child. I now know that somewhere in my ancestry I have Indian blood.
Dennis
Jan 18, 2017 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really think this is an amazing book. It takes you to another world- the world of Crazy Horse. While historically accurate the author does invent elements that help to bring the history to life. Excellent book. Most highly recommended.
Heather Pearson
Jul 24, 2015 Heather Pearson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-nations
In Stone Song, author Win Blevins tells a fictionalised story of the Lakota warrior His Crazy Horse. While the events, locations and most of the people involved are based in fact, the thoughts of Crazy Horse are as imagined by the author. To bring this warrior to life, Mr. Blevins carried out extensive research into the beliefs and practices of the Lakota people.

His Crazy Horse is thought to have been born in the winter of 1840-41 and died September 5, 1877 at Fort Robinson, Nebraska. There are
  • Song of the Wolf
  • Ghost Warrior
  • Panther in the Sky
  • Savage Destiny (The Hearts Of Liberty, #1)
  • Bear Daughter
  • The Massacre at Fall Creek
  • Albert Einstein: The Life of a Genius
  • Two Spirits: A Story of Life with the Navajo
  • Memoirs of an Outlaw: Life in the Sandbox
  • Trail of the Spanish Bit (Spanish Bit Saga, #1)
  • Simply Heaven

“No Water made her want to be taken, which was exciting and frightening. Crazy Horse made her want to give, which was fulfilling. She” 0 likes
“if they watched the soldiers and opposed them everywhere, the whites could do nothing.” 0 likes