Start by marking “Mystery of the Roman Ransom” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Detectives in Togas #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,396 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews

Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Roman Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Emily
Feb 10, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, sonlight, caleb
This book is an exiting sequel to the Detectives in Togas. The setting is the same except their slave is a secret curior that is carrying a message about witch of the boys fathers is to be murdered! This story is a very good read-at-night or read-when-bored book.
There are some parts that you will not understand unless you read the first book!! That is another reason to read the first one (Detectives in Togas)
The setting for both the books is in ancient Rome in a schoolhouse with four boys who
Elise
Amanda
Sep 30, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool-lit
Actually 3.5

Nice, short, fun little book. A nice break from the other long and complex school lit books I've had lately. I probably would've really enjoyed it at about the age of...nine. Would be a perfect read-aloud for my little brothers. Had trouble keeping track of the seven main characters, and coincidences abound, but otherwise this was a great little story.

Recommended for youngins of about 7 to 11, especially boys. Or anyone who wants a break from more serious and intense stuff.
Sandra Fahrlender
Nov 26, 2013 Sandra Fahrlender rated it really liked it
Second book to this series. Good book for young readers, 5th grade and up. Group of boys, working together to solve a problem. And a wonderful teacher who helps. My 5th grader enjoyed it and is now going to read the first book.
Jean-Marie
Aug 27, 2014 Jean-Marie rated it really liked it
The Detectives in Togas series was a fun complement to our ancient Rome history lessons. Historical fiction is a perfect way to transport students back in time in an interesting and engaging way. My kids really enjoyed the ride. :-)
Amy (A Magical World of Words)
Fun and witty :) Some parts were very funny, and it's just a sweet relaxing book to read!
Olivia
Jan 19, 2014 Olivia rated it really liked it
In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.It seems the boys can get nothing right: Their teacher's fiftieth birthday is long past (they should have done their math homework); the servant they bought as a present for his birthday isn't just your run-of-the-mill Gaul slave but a courier running for his life; and, to top it all off, the mess ...more
Timothyl
Oct 13, 2013 Timothyl rated it really liked it
A year after reading the first installment into this series (Detectives in Togas), I was pretty excited to see this volume in the tall stack of books my mom purchased through my homeschooling curriculum. If it was anything like the first, this one would be a wild ride.

It was.

It was flawed, like the first, but the story is a twisting conspiracy involving a paralegal ring of gladiators, a slave, and a pet lion, all experienced by the mischievous and various group of Roman kids that made the first
Ria
Jan 11, 2012 Ria rated it really liked it
So far this book is AMAZING. When I first saw it, it looked, well, stupid. But as I read it my interest grew. I would have finished it by now, if I hadn't been re-reading the Harry Potter series (sorry, but even though this book is good, Harry tops them all, except maybe Redwall.)
Gina Johnson
Oct 27, 2015 Gina Johnson rated it it was amazing
As rated by my children. This book was written in 1971 (or at least the English translation was published then.) It is full of locations and places in Ancient Rome but I thought a map to refer to would have been very helpful. There was also a lot of logic involved in the story which was fun for the kids. We'll definitely look into more books by this author.
Anne
Jun 30, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Writing was a bit better in Roman Ransom than in Detectives in Togas. I think these books were originally written in German and then translated into English, which would explain why some of the writing seems disjointed in parts. Still, a super fun story with lots of laughs. The whole family enjoyed it!
Ron
Exciting mystery to solve and prevent the murder of one of the boy's fathers. Many quick turns and reversals that keep the reader on his or her toes. Xantippus and Mucius save the day with help from Antonious and Udo the slave.
Heather
This is a sequel to Detectives in Togas. The kids liked this one just as well. I didn't think it quite as funny, but it still had its moments. And it had more "mystery".

Another fun book to read with your study of Rome or just for fun.
Anna
Nov 25, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't so exited to read this book, since it looked like a boy book. But, even though it had the main charicters boys, it was still a lot of fun to read. I liked knowing all the Greek names for the Roman gods.
Peter Gehrke
Jul 31, 2014 Peter Gehrke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Even better than the first volume "Detectives in Togas" (German "Caius ist ein Dummkopf"). Just finished reading it to my son who cannot wait for the third volume. He could read himself but wants me to do a scenic lecture.
Kara
This sequel to Detective in Togas is just as enjoyable and witty as it was! Funny, entertaining and full of mishaps and antics as the boys try to solve the mystery of which of their fathers is about to be assassinated and why. A great read for all ages.
Kiersten
Jun 22, 2013 Kiersten rated it liked it
This was wonderful fun. A great supplement to homeschooling on ancient Rome, the author works in little bits about the history while weaving a page-turning mystery full of action and adventure.
Steph
Nov 19, 2013 Steph rated it really liked it
Read this with the kids. It was originally written in German and translated to English. That made it difficult to read sometimes.
Rebekah Alexander
Apr 15, 2013 Rebekah Alexander rated it really liked it
it was a funny book from the roman times and it is a cool book.
it is definetly a book you should read
Maria Cupery
Jun 13, 2014 Maria Cupery rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, witty, suspenseful and solid historical fiction - it freaked me out as a kid, but then I was easily disturbed.
Mary Ann
Dec 02, 2009 Mary Ann rated it it was ok
I read this for Tara's schooling. It was pretty lame historical fiction - still better than a textbook though.
Michael
Jan 12, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it
Another Mystery by Henry Winterfield with lot of clues that you don't even know about until you have read the whole thing.
B
Oct 03, 2008 B rated it it was amazing
A continuation of Detectives in Togas. The seven Roman students come across another mystery in ancient Rome.
Also very funny.
Gwen
May 05, 2009 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
Another ancient Roman mystery by the author of Detectives in Togas. As fun as the first. We wished there were more!
Nicholas
Apr 25, 2009 Nicholas rated it liked it
I am on page #143 (Chapter #19) and so far it's pretty good
Laura Verret
A charming story which mixed Roman history and mythology with fresh humour and wild adventure.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries
This book is funny, suspenseful, and exciting.
Hannah
Jun 10, 2012 Hannah rated it it was ok
I really didn't like this book. Just no. I only put effort into reviews with books I like.
Jessica
Jun 30, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
Even more adventurous and daring than the hardy boys.
Courtney
Oct 24, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing
funny lots of twists, twists on twists, and twists on those twists!
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Augustus Caesar's World
  • Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
Henry Winterfeld (born April 9, 1901, in Hamburg, Germany; died January 27, 1990, in Machias, Maine), also published under the pseudonym Manfred Michael. He was a German writer and artist famous for his children's and young adult novels.
More about Henry Winterfeld...

Detectives in Togas (3 books)
  • Detectives in Togas