Start by marking “Mystery of the Roman Ransom” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Detectives in Togas #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,015 ratings  ·  42 reviews
[intro] In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.

Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Roman Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Roman Ransom

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksHow to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas RockwellThe Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly ClearySideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis SacharThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Great Books For Third Grade Boys
34th out of 224 books — 90 voters
J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonaldThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCall It Courage by Armstrong Sperry
Good Books for Boys Written by Men
127th out of 171 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikita
Fun and witty :) Some parts were very funny, and it's just a sweet relaxing book to read!
Amanda
Actually 3.5

Nice, short, fun little book. A nice break from the other long and complex school lit books I've had lately. I probably would've really enjoyed it at about the age of...nine. Would be a perfect read-aloud for my little brothers. Had trouble keeping track of the seven main characters, and coincidences abound, but otherwise this was a great little story.

Recommended for youngins of about 7 to 11, especially boys. Or anyone who wants a break from more serious and intense stuff.
Emily
This book is an exiting sequel to the Detectives in Togas. The setting is the same except their slave is a secret curior that is carrying a message about witch of the boys fathers is to be murdered! This story is a very good read-at-night or read-when-bored book.
There are some parts that you will not understand unless you read the first book!! That is another reason to read the first one (Detectives in Togas)
The setting for both the books is in ancient Rome in a schoolhouse with four boys who
Olivia
In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.It seems the boys can get nothing right: Their teacher's fiftieth birthday is long past (they should have done their math homework); the servant they bought as a present for his birthday isn't just your run-of-the-mill Gaul slave but a courier running for his life; and, to top it all off, the mess ...more
Timothyl
A year after reading the first installment into this series (Detectives in Togas), I was pretty excited to see this volume in the tall stack of books my mom purchased through my homeschooling curriculum. If it was anything like the first, this one would be a wild ride.

It was.

It was flawed, like the first, but the story is a twisting conspiracy involving a paralegal ring of gladiators, a slave, and a pet lion, all experienced by the mischievous and various group of Roman kids that made the first
Elise
Ria
So far this book is AMAZING. When I first saw it, it looked, well, stupid. But as I read it my interest grew. I would have finished it by now, if I hadn't been re-reading the Harry Potter series (sorry, but even though this book is good, Harry tops them all, except maybe Redwall.)
Jean-Marie
The Detectives in Togas series was a fun complement to our ancient Rome history lessons. Historical fiction is a perfect way to transport students back in time in an interesting and engaging way. My kids really enjoyed the ride. :-)
Anne
Jun 30, 2010 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Writing was a bit better in Roman Ransom than in Detectives in Togas. I think these books were originally written in German and then translated into English, which would explain why some of the writing seems disjointed in parts. Still, a super fun story with lots of laughs. The whole family enjoyed it!
Kara
This sequel to Detective in Togas is just as enjoyable and witty as it was! Funny, entertaining and full of mishaps and antics as the boys try to solve the mystery of which of their fathers is about to be assassinated and why. A great read for all ages.
Heather
This is a sequel to Detectives in Togas. The kids liked this one just as well. I didn't think it quite as funny, but it still had its moments. And it had more "mystery".

Another fun book to read with your study of Rome or just for fun.
Sandra Fahrlender
Second book to this series. Good book for young readers, 5th grade and up. Group of boys, working together to solve a problem. And a wonderful teacher who helps. My 5th grader enjoyed it and is now going to read the first book.
Peter Gehrke
Even better than the first volume "Detectives in Togas" (German "Caius ist ein Dummkopf"). Just finished reading it to my son who cannot wait for the third volume. He could read himself but wants me to do a scenic lecture.
Ron
Exciting mystery to solve and prevent the murder of one of the boy's fathers. Many quick turns and reversals that keep the reader on his or her toes. Xantippus and Mucius save the day with help from Antonious and Udo the slave.
Anna
I wasn't so exited to read this book, since it looked like a boy book. But, even though it had the main charicters boys, it was still a lot of fun to read. I liked knowing all the Greek names for the Roman gods.
Kiersten
This was wonderful fun. A great supplement to homeschooling on ancient Rome, the author works in little bits about the history while weaving a page-turning mystery full of action and adventure.
Maria Cupery
Hilarious, witty, suspenseful and solid historical fiction - it freaked me out as a kid, but then I was easily disturbed.
B
A continuation of Detectives in Togas. The seven Roman students come across another mystery in ancient Rome.
Also very funny.
Michael
Another Mystery by Henry Winterfield with lot of clues that you don't even know about until you have read the whole thing.
Steph
Read this with the kids. It was originally written in German and translated to English. That made it difficult to read sometimes.
Gwen
May 05, 2009 Gwen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Another ancient Roman mystery by the author of Detectives in Togas. As fun as the first. We wished there were more!
Mary Ann
I read this for Tara's schooling. It was pretty lame historical fiction - still better than a textbook though.
Rebekah Alexander
it was a funny book from the roman times and it is a cool book.
it is definetly a book you should read
Laura Verret
A charming story which mixed Roman history and mythology with fresh humour and wild adventure.
Hannah
I really didn't like this book. Just no. I only put effort into reviews with books I like.
Christina
Fun sequel to "Detectives in Togas". Enjoyed by adults and the kids.
Courtney
funny lots of twists, twists on twists, and twists on those twists!
Nicholas
I am on page #143 (Chapter #19) and so far it's pretty good
Jessica
Even more adventurous and daring than the hardy boys.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries
This book is funny, suspenseful, and exciting.
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Beyond the Desert Gate (Roman Empire Sequence, #4)
  • Theras and His Town
  • In Search of Honor
  • Flame Over Tara
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
Henry Winterfeld (born April 9, 1901, in Hamburg, Germany; died January 27, 1990, in Machias, Maine), also published under the pseudonym Manfred Michael. He was a German writer and artist famous for his children's and young adult novels.
More about Henry Winterfeld...

Detectives in Togas (3 books)
  • Detectives in Togas
  • Caius in der Klemme
Detectives in Togas Castaways in Lilliput Trouble at Timpetill Caius, der Lausbub aus dem alten Rom. Alle Abenteuer in einem Band Star Girl