Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Mystery of the Roman Ransom (Detectives in Togas #2)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  749 ratings  ·  35 reviews
[intro] In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.

It seems the boys can get nothing right: Their teacher's fiftieth birthday is long past (they should have done their math homework); the servant they bought as a pres...more
Published November 1st 2002 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

Olivia
In these two delightful history-mysteries, seven boys in Ancient Rome solve strange crimes . . . thanks to some help from their cranky teacher, a little bit of logic, and a lot of amusing misadventure.It seems the boys can get nothing right: Their teacher's fiftieth birthday is long past (they should have done their math homework); the servant they bought as a present for his birthday isn't just your run-of-the-mill Gaul slave but a courier running for his life; and, to top it all off, the mess...more
Emily
This book is an exiting sequel to the Detectives in Togas. The setting is the same except their slave is a secret curior that is carrying a message about witch of the boys fathers is to be murdered! This story is a very good read-at-night or read-when-bored book.
There are some parts that you will not understand unless you read the first book!! That is another reason to read the first one (Detectives in Togas)
The setting for both the books is in ancient Rome in a schoolhouse with four boys who...more
Maria Cupery
Hilarious, witty, suspenseful and solid historical fiction - it freaked me out as a kid, but then I was easily disturbed.
Timothyl
A year after reading the first installment into this series (Detectives in Togas), I was pretty excited to see this volume in the tall stack of books my mom purchased through my homeschooling curriculum. If it was anything like the first, this one would be a wild ride.

It was.

It was flawed, like the first, but the story is a twisting conspiracy involving a paralegal ring of gladiators, a slave, and a pet lion, all experienced by the mischievous and various group of Roman kids that made the first...more
Elise Harkey
Ria
So far this book is AMAZING. When I first saw it, it looked, well, stupid. But as I read it my interest grew. I would have finished it by now, if I hadn't been re-reading the Harry Potter series (sorry, but even though this book is good, Harry tops them all, except maybe Redwall.)
Anne
Jun 30, 2010 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Writing was a bit better in Roman Ransom than in Detectives in Togas. I think these books were originally written in German and then translated into English, which would explain why some of the writing seems disjointed in parts. Still, a super fun story with lots of laughs. The whole family enjoyed it!
Kara
This sequel to Detective in Togas is just as enjoyable and witty as it was! Funny, entertaining and full of mishaps and antics as the boys try to solve the mystery of which of their fathers is about to be assassinated and why. A great read for all ages.
Heather
This is a sequel to Detectives in Togas. The kids liked this one just as well. I didn't think it quite as funny, but it still had its moments. And it had more "mystery".

Another fun book to read with your study of Rome or just for fun.
Sandra Fahrlender
Second book to this series. Good book for young readers, 5th grade and up. Group of boys, working together to solve a problem. And a wonderful teacher who helps. My 5th grader enjoyed it and is now going to read the first book.
Ron
Exciting mystery to solve and prevent the murder of one of the boy's fathers. Many quick turns and reversals that keep the reader on his or her toes. Xantippus and Mucius save the day with help from Antonious and Udo the slave.
Anna
I wasn't so exited to read this book, since it looked like a boy book. But, even though it had the main charicters boys, it was still a lot of fun to read. I liked knowing all the Greek names for the Roman gods.
Kiersten
This was wonderful fun. A great supplement to homeschooling on ancient Rome, the author works in little bits about the history while weaving a page-turning mystery full of action and adventure.
B
A continuation of Detectives in Togas. The seven Roman students come across another mystery in ancient Rome.
Also very funny.
Michael
Another Mystery by Henry Winterfield with lot of clues that you don't even know about until you have read the whole thing.
Steph
Read this with the kids. It was originally written in German and translated to English. That made it difficult to read sometimes.
Gwen
May 05, 2009 Gwen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Another ancient Roman mystery by the author of Detectives in Togas. As fun as the first. We wished there were more!
Mary Ann
I read this for Tara's schooling. It was pretty lame historical fiction - still better than a textbook though.
Rebekah Alexander
it was a funny book from the roman times and it is a cool book.
it is definetly a book you should read
A charming story which mixed Roman history and mythology with fresh humour and wild adventure.
Hannah
I really didn't like this book. Just no. I only put effort into reviews with books I like.
Christina
Fun sequel to "Detectives in Togas". Enjoyed by adults and the kids.
Courtney
funny lots of twists, twists on twists, and twists on those twists!
Nicholas
I am on page #143 (Chapter #19) and so far it's pretty good
Jessica
Even more adventurous and daring than the hardy boys.
Jan 20, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like mysteries
This book is funny, suspenseful, and exciting.
Mely
Feb 12, 2011 Mely added it
Shelves: favorites
Childhood favorite, to reread.
Rome
If you enjoy mystery,Rome,and
Portia
kind of fun! very different idea
Tammy
Funny and fun to read story. :)
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • God King: A Story in the Days of King Hezekiah
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Master Cornhill
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • The Trojan War
  • The Samurai's Tale
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • The Second Mrs. Gioconda
  • In Search of Honor
  • Augustus Caesar's World
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • A Murder for Her Majesty
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • The Winged Watchman (Living History Library)
Henry Winterfeld (born April 9, 1901, in Hamburg, Germany; died January 27, 1990, in Machias, Maine), also published under the pseudonym Manfred Michael. He was a German writer and artist famous for his children's and young adult novels.
More about Henry Winterfeld...
Detectives in Togas Castaways in Lilliput Trouble at Timpetill Caius, der Lausbub aus dem alten Rom. Alle Abenteuer in einem Band Star Girl