The Golden Orange

The Golden Orange

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When forty-year-old cop Winnie Farlowe lost hisshield, he lost the only protection he had. Eversince, he's been fighting a bad back, fighting thebottle, fighting his conscience. But now he's infor a special fight. Never before has he come upagainst anyone like Tess Binder. She's astunningly beautiful, sexually spirited three-timedivorcee from Newport Beach--capital of Cali...more
Published May 1st 1991 by Bantam (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Orange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Orange

Lance Charnes
Jul 28, 2014 Lance Charnes rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Joe Wambaugh completists; Orange County nostalgists
Joe Wambaugh is best known for his brutally honest early works centered on the LAPD -- The Blue Knight, The New Centurions and some of his other 1970s novels. This isn't one of those. More's the pity.

Winston Farlowe, the protagonist -- it's impossible to call him "the hero" -- is drinking his disability pension after being cut loose from the Newport Beach PD after a line-of-service injury. Tess Binder, a Newport Beach serial trophy wife, tracks him down at the dive bar he haunts and winds him up...more
Kristina
Everything was going along fine until I realized this book hinges on a legal principle that the author did not understand and obviously, from the ending, did not care to fully research.
Chris Gager
Not the cover of the edition I read. My first JW read and not bad but well within the expectations of the genre(SoCal-detective-whodunit lifestyle). He does get onshore and offshore confused once, also East and West. There's also an alarming amount of boozing in this book. Much like "The Gold Coast". I'll finish it this afternoon but I think I've got the end twist(s) figured out. We'll see. It was a treat to begin the book and start reading about Balboa-Newport-Laguna Beach. The old stomping gro...more
Jim
Written in 1990, "The Golden Orange" is a mystery thriller that has some comic flair. It's prime character is a retired cop named Win Farlowe. Win it seems is a terrible drunk. After several scarpes with the law Win ends up hooking up with Tess Binder. What an unbelievable match. However we know Tess has her motives. It was an enjoyable read. Several parts were pretty funny. I loved the twists at the end. Yes 5 stars out of 5 for Joesph Wambaugh's "The Golden Orange"
Jim
Another great Wambaugh pathos and police protagonist, washed-up, ex-cop tries to get his life back on track in a unique setting, Newport Beach, California.
J. Ewbank
Whis book by Wambaugh was a wild and wonderful read. The lead characters were very well sketched out and very believable. Their dealings with each other was interesting and kept your attention. The conclusion was believable and an interesting surprise. It is an enjoyable and quick read and is well worth reading.

J. Robert Ewbank, author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Kim
Feb 03, 2010 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: Jeff Potts
It was hard to get into this book in the beginning because the characters are so self-absorbed. The author also uses too many idioms - making the characters feel less believable. I gave it three stars because I enjoyed reading about the places where I spent so much time working (Orange County) and living (La Quinta). I also appreciated the plot twist at the end.
Doug
Not his best work. Must have needed to make a boat payment.
Mary
I missed this one back in the 90's, so I was glad to bumb into it @ my library. Even tho cops & California aren't my favorite subjects, I really enjoyed the Winston Farlowe character. Waumbaugh's style is clear, full of action and irony. Did not diappoint.
This book took a bit to get going but when it did I spent most of my time reading trying to figure out the storyline. At that point I had a hard time putting this book down. Nothing like a little mystery to keep your mind engaged.
Lee
Joseph Wambaugh graduated years earlier from my high school. I have read several books he has authored. The setting of "The Golden Orange" is in my backyard - so to speak. That in itself was interesting.
Nranger7
I guess this book wasn't too bad, but it centers around an alcoholic and since I have my own alcoholic in the house I wasn't too thrilled with reading about one. I skimmed a lot. I did enjoy the ending.
David
I enjoyed this book very much. In this book Wambaugh jumps between three main characters. They are all regular people with real people flaws and real people problems.

Lee
it's been a while since I read a Joseph Wambaugh book but once again, I enjoyed it. Shades of Elmore Leonard in that this novel is also populated by some colorful characters.
Larry
Very good. Old timey washed up cop story with interesting characters and a look at the wealthy gold diggers of Newport Beach. Neat twist at the end-did not see that coming!
Book Concierge
This was disappointing. I used to really like Wambaugh and this just didn't meet my expectation - although - I DID like the ending.
Barbara
Another tale where alcohol rules and ruins lives. Makes me happy that it has never played a part in my happiness or unhappiness.
Beesley
Well written and funny. Recommended, especially if you are a fan of a good caper.
Lemar
True to its setting and true to the alcohol fueled misery that finds a summer home there.
Barbara
It took place all over Orange County. Talked about money in the 80's-90's.
Barbara
I like to read about poor old drunks. Winnie is just a mess.
Diane
I figured out the ending about half way through. Don't bother.
Julia Clark
Enjoyed this book... many years ago...
Eric
Another Wambaugh favorite
John
One of his best.
Cws
M Wam
Ashley Marshall
Ashley Marshall marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Fourth Procedure
  • Eureka
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Romance (87th Precinct, #47)
  • Skinner's Rules
  • Stacey's Movie (The Baby-Sitters Club, #130)
  • Nightwing
  • City of Gold and Shadows (Felse, #12)
  • Dead Low Tide
  • The Waxman Murders (Hugh Corbett, #15)
  • The Empty Mirror
  • Tangled Vines
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Fade To Black
  • The Time Bike (Hall Family Chronicles #6)
  • Second Skin (Nicholas Linnear, #6)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
Joseph Wambaugh, a former LAPD detective sergeant (1960-1974), is the bestselling author of twenty-one prior works of fiction and nonfiction, including The Choirboys and The Onion Field. Wambaugh joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) in 1960. He served 14 years, rising to detective sergeant. He also attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned Bachelor of Arts and M...more
More about Joseph Wambaugh...
The Onion Field The Choirboys Hollywood Station (Hollywood Station, #1) The New Centurions The Blue Knight