Start by marking “I See Myself” as Want to Read:
I See Myself

I See Myself

Look in a mirror. Who do you see? Your very own self, that's who!

Now look in a shiny doorknob or in a puddle. Can you see yourself in them?

How about in the pages of this book?

You might not see yourself, but you will feel yourself getting smarter as you begin to understand how and why you can see yourself. Renowned science author Vicki Cobb illuminates the scientific princi
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I See Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I See Myself

Anne Catesby
I See Myself written by Vicki Cobb and illustrated by Julia Gorton is a great educational book for children. This book takes the concept of seeing your reflection in a mirror or in another object and explains it in a very understandable way how it actually works. Through descriptive text, activities, and informative images this scientific concept comes to life.

The book first starts off with a little girl looking into a mirror and asking what she sees. Then the book begins asking the reader to lo
Rachel Hancock
Apr 13, 2012 Rachel Hancock rated it it was amazing
"I See Myself" was written by Vicki Cobb and illustrated by Julia Gorton. In this book, even the youngest of children can gain a better understanding of light and reflection. Cobb illuminates these scientific principles in a unique and extremely child-friendly manner such that the concepts are easy to understand. Not only does this book provide readers with great information, but it also allows them to engage in the text and participate in hands-on activities. In the beginning of the book, Cobb ...more
Lindsey Johnson
Sep 22, 2009 Lindsey Johnson added it
Shelves: pbgs-1
I See Myself is a great book for children to learn about what you can and cannot see yourself in. It teaches children how if you look in a puddle you can see yourself or if you are in the dark you cannot see yourself. This book would be a great activity with your children. Whatever the book says on the page that’s what you could do with your children. The words are easy in this book and I think it could be read to fourth graders and younger just because of some of the activities it does in the b ...more
Carly
Mar 31, 2016 Carly rated it really liked it
I See Myself is a very good book that informs the readers about how mirrors and light work. I found it interesting because it was able to explain this phenomenon in a simple way that children could understand. This book also has very good illustrations, as well as experiments that a child could try while reading it. I would read this book to my students so that we could do the experiments together after we finished reading it. Because of this, the children would have good science and reading mem ...more
Rachel Coleman
Oct 04, 2016 Rachel Coleman rated it really liked it
"I See Myself" by Vicki Cobb is talking about how mirrors and light work together in order for us to see our reflections. This book talks about how the words act as illustrations and is very well written.
I enjoyed reading this book and think it does a great job of explaining why we can see our reflections in mirrors and why we cannot see our reflections in other objects. It does a good job of explaining scientific material in language which children can understand.
I would read this book in my cl
Shelby Haltom
Mar 31, 2016 Shelby Haltom rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book describes how mirrors and light work together in order for us to see our reflections. This book, along with the illustrations and how the words act as illustrations, is great.
I like this book! I think it does a great job of explaining why we can see our reflections in mirrors and why we cannot see our reflections in other objects, such as a sweater. It does a good job of explaining scientific material in language which children can understand.
I would read this book in my classroom. I
Kenzie Thompson
Nov 17, 2016 Kenzie Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
I See Myself is a non-fiction book about reflection and light. It talks about different objects you can see yourself in, and objects you can not. Then it talks about why you can see yourself in certain objects and how it has to do with light.
This book actually confused me a little and I feel like it would take some extra work explaining some parts of it to young kids in a way they would understand. I would use this book as an introduction to a science lesson about reflection.
Maddie Taylor
Mar 31, 2016 Maddie Taylor rated it really liked it
Perfect book for a science lesson about reflection and light!
I think students would love this book! They would be attracted to all the information and its easy to grasp!
I would definitely use this book in my classroom! It brings science to life and I think that is NEEDED in classrooms today!
May 18, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book takes a pretty difficult concept (the way light bounces off of objects) and introduces it to children using a series of interactive "experiments." The idea is that the child and reader would do the experiments together and talk about their findings. The illustrations are bright and engaging and the text bounces around in a non-linear fashion. A real "Radical Change" type book.
Cassie Houck
Mar 31, 2016 Cassie Houck rated it it was amazing
This book talks all about how mirrors work and why we see ourselves when we look into them.

I loved this book because it went into detail about how light bounces off smooth and shiny object and into our eyes so that we can see them.

I would definitely use this book as a read aloud for a science lesson and then do an experiment that is basically set up for the reader in the book.
Kaylee Warzecha
Aug 26, 2014 Kaylee Warzecha rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great book for explaining how mirrors and lights bouncing off surfaces work. The illustrations show how it works and do a great job of it. This book also makes it an interactive learning process. Would be a great book to use for teaching. (nonfiction)
Rita
Sep 16, 2011 Rita rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-matters
This book is a great way to teach students about reflection and light. The students can walk around the class and write down the things that show their reflection. After reading this book, the students will see light in a whole new way.
Anna
This is a really cool way for young children to learn about how mirrors work. This is a very hands-on, inquiry-based series that gets kids to actually do experiments to find out why things are the way they are. Very cool!
Cece
Apr 20, 2010 Cece rated it really liked it
Shelves: literacy-science
This is an engaging book that teaches children how light works. It has different activities for children to try that allows them to grasp how light really works.
Mandy Perez
Mandy Perez rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
Katja
Katja rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2008
Arameshkord
Arameshkord rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Sarah Jenevein
Sarah Jenevein rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Uzma
Uzma rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2016
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
May 08, 2012
Abigail Ochoa
Abigail Ochoa rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2011
Laurel T.
Laurel T. rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Beresford Parents Group
Beresford Parents Group rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2014
Boni
Boni rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010