Start by marking “Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass” as Want to Read:
Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass

Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Although upkeep is labor intensive and often requires an arsenal of dangerous chemicals to keep it free of weeds and pests, the appeal of a manicured lawn is almost irresistible. But more people are discovering a very attractive alternative.

Packed with practical tips and beautiful photographs, Front Yard Gardens Explores the history of the lawn and our attachment to it Con
Published March 3rd 2003 by Firefly Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Front Yard Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Yard Gardens

Pam
May 05, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden
While I agree with the author and believe we should lose the American lawn ethic and its serious and costly environmental consequences, the examples in this book primarily focus on the labor intensive cottage garden. As an older gardener, who has learned to appreciate the year round beauty of shrubs, I was disappointed with the cottage garden focus. Yes, there are a few yards which might not be categorized as cottage gardens, but they were in the minority. Another pet peeve which predominate in ...more
Deodand
May 22, 2011 Deodand rated it really liked it
I was pleased to see a few front-yard gardens from my hometown, which is in zone 3. That means we have all four seasons here. It also means that most gardening books are pretty irrelevant to me.

I've been fighting the good fight against grass in my backyard for several years, but I'm losing to annual grasses, thistle and dandelions. It doesn't help that my neighbourhood cares little or not at all for weed abatement, so my yard is covered in weed seeds every year. I was hoping for more advice on m
Candy
Jan 14, 2015 Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: house-and-yard
The dog jumped up when I made a sound of distress as I turned the last page of this book. Her look said, "What's wrong, Mom?"

After enjoying many morning coffees curled up in my chair with this book, it was over! i just wanted to look at one more garden!!!

I loved the photography and all the stories of the different gardens and gardeners. Just a wonderful, enjoyable read.
Grace
Jul 30, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and very inspirational book full of a plethora of examples. The author does a great job of sharing a wide variety of front yard garden styles, and also includes helpful tips and hints on how to start your own. The perfect mixture of inspiration and instruction.
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
So, do you want a yard- or an oasis?! This is the perfect book for the "No More Lawns" set! Simple, solid ideas coupled with inspiring photos makes it a great "go to" book when looking to switch up your yard.

Love it. Will return to it. Again and again.

Amanda
Jun 08, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book gave me a lot of ideas for my front yard. I wish there were more specific garden plans, though, but the idea of the book is to be more free-form, so I get it. The 5 year plan is to get rid of most of the grass in my front yard, and plant some more trees. Yay!
Kara
Feb 10, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it
Oh my... what beautiful inspiration! This is primarily Canadian-based gardens, but these great ideas about how to repurpose your turf had me reaching for my measuring tape and White Flower Farm catalog. Come, spring!
Pam Penick
Jan 08, 2013 Pam Penick rated it really liked it
With more than two hundred color photographs, this book is packed with ideas on how to transform your lawn into a garden. Mostly Canadian gardens, but also a couple in Texas and others in the U.S., are showcased.
Katrina
Oct 18, 2011 Katrina rated it really liked it
this is less of a true how-to, and more of an inspirational collection of stories and photographs. different styles of garden are outlined, from xenoscape to english cottage, and lists of common plants for each.
Carla
Aug 30, 2012 Carla rated it really liked it
not what i was expecting ...i was hoping for more of a homestead edible lawn than flowers so it was disappointing but gets 4 stars because of the multiple photos per page and example gardens.
William
Apr 07, 2008 William rated it it was amazing
One of the best garden books I ever read.

The author shares my view that there is a lot more to life than lawn grass.

Packed with color photos, garden plans, and interesting anecdotes.
Erika
Oct 18, 2010 Erika rated it really liked it
I need to remember to come back to this one closer to spring. I love the idea of turning my yard into a garden oasis. Also, I hate cutting grass. Double win.
Kelly
Apr 17, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
I like grass and am looking for more of an "outside room" rather than a meadow. A lot of these gardens, while beautiful, are beyond my commitment level.
Joy
Apr 22, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I am inspired to dream about having a beautiful front-yard garden but do not think I will getting there anytime soon.
Melissa
Mar 15, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Mostly Canadian examples, with a few SoCal. Good description of how to plan and proceed in a project. Great photos.
Liz Michaels
Aug 26, 2013 Liz Michaels rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, though I'll never be able to keep my flower garden as well maintained as any of these.
Amy
May 03, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of ideas and lots of pictures, but not many plans / layouts. Still, an interesting book!
Becki Dina
Apr 23, 2013 Becki Dina rated it it was amazing
Great resource! I want to get rid of my front lawn right away!
Rachel
Jan 30, 2010 Rachel marked it as to-read
Could be my bible this summer...
Cheryl S.
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Matala Maija
Matala Maija marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jordan Weldon
Jordan Weldon marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Peggy
Peggy is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
John
John is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Deborah Mesplay
Deborah Mesplay marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
  • The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques
  • Perennial Combinations: Stunning Combinations That Make Your Garden Look Fantastic Right From The Start
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • The Garden Primer
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • The American Horticultural Society A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden