Start by marking “Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass” as Want to Read:
Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass

Front Yard Gardens: Growing More Than Grass

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Although upkeep is labor intensive and often requires an arsenal of dangerous chemicals to keep it free of weeds and pests, the appeal of a manicured lawn is almost irresistible. But more people are discovering a very attractive alternative.

Packed with practical tips and beautiful photographs, Front Yard Gardens Explores the history of the lawn and our attachment to it Con
Published March 3rd 2003 by Firefly Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Front Yard Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Front Yard Gardens

Deodand
I was pleased to see a few front-yard gardens from my hometown, which is in zone 3. That means we have all four seasons here. It also means that most gardening books are pretty irrelevant to me.

I've been fighting the good fight against grass in my backyard for several years, but I'm losing to annual grasses, thistle and dandelions. It doesn't help that my neighbourhood cares little or not at all for weed abatement, so my yard is covered in weed seeds every year. I was hoping for more advice on m
Candy
The dog jumped up when I made a sound of distress as I turned the last page of this book. Her look said, "What's wrong, Mom?"

After enjoying many morning coffees curled up in my chair with this book, it was over! i just wanted to look at one more garden!!!

I loved the photography and all the stories of the different gardens and gardeners. Just a wonderful, enjoyable read.
Grace
A beautiful and very inspirational book full of a plethora of examples. The author does a great job of sharing a wide variety of front yard garden styles, and also includes helpful tips and hints on how to start your own. The perfect mixture of inspiration and instruction.
Elizabeth
So, do you want a yard- or an oasis?! This is the perfect book for the "No More Lawns" set! Simple, solid ideas coupled with inspiring photos makes it a great "go to" book when looking to switch up your yard.

Love it. Will return to it. Again and again.

Amanda
This book gave me a lot of ideas for my front yard. I wish there were more specific garden plans, though, but the idea of the book is to be more free-form, so I get it. The 5 year plan is to get rid of most of the grass in my front yard, and plant some more trees. Yay!
Kara
Oh my... what beautiful inspiration! This is primarily Canadian-based gardens, but these great ideas about how to repurpose your turf had me reaching for my measuring tape and White Flower Farm catalog. Come, spring!
Pam Penick
With more than two hundred color photographs, this book is packed with ideas on how to transform your lawn into a garden. Mostly Canadian gardens, but also a couple in Texas and others in the U.S., are showcased.
Katrina
this is less of a true how-to, and more of an inspirational collection of stories and photographs. different styles of garden are outlined, from xenoscape to english cottage, and lists of common plants for each.
Carla
not what i was expecting ...i was hoping for more of a homestead edible lawn than flowers so it was disappointing but gets 4 stars because of the multiple photos per page and example gardens.
William
One of the best garden books I ever read.

The author shares my view that there is a lot more to life than lawn grass.

Packed with color photos, garden plans, and interesting anecdotes.
Erika
I need to remember to come back to this one closer to spring. I love the idea of turning my yard into a garden oasis. Also, I hate cutting grass. Double win.
Kelly
I like grass and am looking for more of an "outside room" rather than a meadow. A lot of these gardens, while beautiful, are beyond my commitment level.
Joy
Apr 22, 2011 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I am inspired to dream about having a beautiful front-yard garden but do not think I will getting there anytime soon.
Lissa
Mostly Canadian examples, with a few SoCal. Good description of how to plan and proceed in a project. Great photos.
Liz Michaels
I enjoyed this book, though I'll never be able to keep my flower garden as well maintained as any of these.
Amy
Lots of ideas and lots of pictures, but not many plans / layouts. Still, an interesting book!
Becki Dina
Great resource! I want to get rid of my front lawn right away!
Rachel
Jan 30, 2010 Rachel marked it as to-read
Could be my bible this summer...
Cheryl S.
mostly photos, some info
Nancy
Nancy added it
Mar 11, 2015
Kyra Siebert
Kyra Siebert marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques
  • The Garden Primer
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • The American Horticultural Society A to Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants
  • Designing the New Kitchen Garden: An American Potager Handbook
  • Gardening at the Dragon's Gate: At Work in the Wild and Cultivated World
  • Great Garden Companions: A Companion-Planting System for a Beautiful, Chemical-Free Vegetable Garden
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Eat More Dirt: Diverting and Instructive Tips for Growing and Tending an Organic Garden
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 Amazing Lawn Alternatives
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Insect and Disease Control: A Complete Problem-Solving Guide to Keeping Your Garden and Yard Healthy Without Chemicals
  • Bitter Medicine: A Graphic Memoir of Mental Illness
  • Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children
In Pursuit of Garlic: An Intimate Look at the Divinely Odorous Bulb My Natural History: The Evolution of a Gardener City Gardens: Creative Urban Gardens and Expert Design Ideas Gardening For Canadians For Dummies Canadian Gardening's Creating A Garden: Designs For Every Kind Of Garden From Country Settings To Urban Spaces