Start by marking “Velvet Song (Montgomery Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Velvet Song (Montgomery Saga, #3)

Velvet Song (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  7,289 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews

They were both outcasts by a harsh decree and on the brink of a shared destiny of passion!

With her father murdered, her home burned, lovely Alyx Blackelt fled to the woods and sanctuary in the camp of Raine Montgomery, a nobleman outlawed by the king's edict. There she hid her beauty in the guise of a boy, and her sorrow in her work as Montgomery's squire.

But how lon

Mass Market Paperback, 1st edition, 315 pages
Published February 1st 1983 by Pocket Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Velvet Song, please sign up.

Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
2 stars!

description

Nothing infuriates me more when the author destroys my favorite character in a book, much less in a series. Champion of the underdog, Raine Montgomery is the main reason why I love the Velvet saga – his sense of honor and his unwavering loyalty and love for his family is what makes him my favorite Montgomery brother. With this book, however, Jude Deveraux has obliterated Raine’s character and I’m not sure I’ll be able to recover.

As we know from book 2, Raine has been banished by the king
Joy
Feb 14, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Johanie
Perhaps it's not that bad to have read this after Velvet Angel because there were a lot of overlapping events. Raine and Miles's story were happening simultaneously that I didn't mind not knowing what it's all about.

The beginning was slow and I had to force myself to read it and finish it but I just wasn't in the mood so I read a contemporary story, then I just set my mind to it and I couldn't stop reading when Alyx first stepped into Raine's camp dressed as a boy. There were a lot of recurring
KatieV
The story moved along and it was great to see characters from the other novels. As far as the saga goes, this is a must read. However, so far, this is my least favorite of the series in a romantic sense. I was disappointed about that, since I really liked Raine in the first two novels and was looking forward to his story.

I'm not a fan of the plain Jane heroine. And I'm not sure if that's even an accurate label here, but Deveraux seemed constantly confused with how to describe Alyx. You get the s
Kristine
I liked this book however was getting a little fed up at Reigns code of honor attitude. I liked that the h was not the standard body type but beautiful still. I LOVED how all the characters came together here. It's like a continued story from the last so you are weaned off each of the past characters.
Katie
After reading Stephen's story in Highland Velvet(my favorite in this series), I think I set my expectations too high. Of the Montgomery brothers, after Stephen, Raine is my favorite. I loved him in Velvet Promise... he was so honorable and protective of Judith. I really like his character, but something about him was lost in this book. He kept taking pride and honor way too seriously in his treatment of Alyx.

Also, the whole love story between Raine and Alyx seemed rushed. The book could have be
joy in wonderland
Jan 18, 2009 joy in wonderland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to joy in wonderland by: officemate
Shelves: romantic-novels
*currently-reading* comment:
am bored... first i thought the book is quite entertaining... fast faced (coz i just read "almost heaven" by judith mcnaught) so something refreshing to have this fast faced set up, but then i got... whatthe--- the two just fell in love!? did i miss a page? huh? really... i find all the set-up shallow (sigh) am not used to saying this stuff, coz me myself cant even write a book so who am i!? however i find it really disappointing, like am stuck here have to endure a
Donna
Jun 28, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyx Blackelt is not having an easy time. She had always been told her musical gifts were a blessing from God. She is off composing when the local nobleman sees her alone in an orchard and tries to rape her. She manages to get away but in revenge the nobleman breaks into her house, kills her father, burns the house to cover his crime, and then has her proscribed as a witch. The priest puts Alyx in male clothing and sends her off into the woods to a camp of freemen ruled by Raine Montgomery, a no ...more
Wendy
Feb 27, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still a great read after all these years. Had me laughing, sighing and at times crying. If you love historical romances I suggest you start with book 1, and yes it will probably make you mad but still it's a great read as well. Then read the whole series and end with VELVET ANGEL. This is book 3 so keep in mind it is part of a series and they do need to be read in order. The characters are great, the plot is wonderful, the writing awesome and the overall appeal of the story outstanding. LOVED it ...more
Judith
Jul 21, 2011 Judith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible story line! I liked Raine in the other books as a gentle soul who was more understanding than his stubborn brothers. Then in this book, he became a sulky nasty wife-beater who neglects his whole family. Blech! The other stories in the series were much better. I also was not a fan of Alyx. Whine, whine, shout shout... The "couple" fighting overpowered this novel. I was actually hoping Brian Chatworth was Raine in the duel and that it would just be a tragic story that would tidy up in the ...more
Tasha
Dec 14, 2009 Tasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: he-loves-me
So I am being nice w/my stars. I should only go with 2 3/4 but it's Deveraux and I couldn't bring myself to do it. I just really wasn't feeling this book. I liked Raine before I read this book. He was a wonderful brother-in-law to Judith in her other book. In this book he was an ill tempered jerk and I didn't get him at all. Then the whole singing thing and to have such a voice for the kind to beg you to come as his audience. Maybe that was the way of it then but it seemed really unlikely and ki ...more
Melissa
May 01, 2008 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Forgot how much I hated this character. In the other books in the series, he's the character you like. In the book that focuses on him though, he's horrible. To abandon his wife and child is unacceptable.
Luvmyfamily
Aug 23, 2010 Luvmyfamily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I didn't like was the background story. Mile's story was practically announced. I'm afraid there wont be much surprise in this next book. Raine really shouldn't have kept ignoring her but that seems to be the trend with these stories.
Hanife
Another awesome book is finished ! :D I love this book but not quite alike second book in the series :D And can't wait to read fifth ;) If you have passion for Alpha Male characters and good story :D you should read this series :)
Pam
Mar 24, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love a story in which the heroine pretends to be a boy then you should read this. Highly recommended.
Niki
Aug 22, 2012 Niki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jude Deveraux's books because they are fast, fun and easy to read romances.
Chris
Sep 27, 2016 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I needed some mindless escapism and I got it with this traditional "bodice-ripper" romance set in 1502 England under King Henry VII's rule. Very formulaic, takes from many stories to sew together this romance between an "outlaw" nobleman (hiding in a forest, no less) & a young woman who has disguised herself as a boy to escape from her village after her father was murdered & house burned to the ground, and found herself labeled a witch. We have a disgruntled, starving populace, divide be ...more
JG
I guess it's not fair to give it 2 stars; but i know id be lying to myself if id give it i-liked-it 3 stars.

WHat really did not work for me about this book is the heroine's total bluntness that made me cringe and how she gets really really self-concious around our hero; how she degrades herself and goes all im-ugly blah blah blah.

I was looking forward to this but the heroine ruined my impression. Most of the time she was judgemental, abrasive, calling woman 'slut', she lacks manner and class. S
J. Libby
The heroine disguised as a boy plot line has been much better used in other novels (Shakespeare not the least of which), and romance novels can treat the trope very well (Johanna Lindsey's Gentle Rogue, for example) but Jude Deveraux falls down on the job. As a whole, Velvet Song is an underdeveloped novel. Concepts are thrown in and used so negligently that they defeat the purpose of inclusion. Alyx as a boy, for example. Deveraux doesn't follow through on all of the fun that could have been ha ...more
Maria Sanigan
May 20, 2013 Maria Sanigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say, although I haven't read the last of the Velvet Series which is the "Velvet Angel", that the Montgomery Brothers -Gavin, Stephen, Raine, and Miles - are indeed hard-headed, prideful, and really hot-headed people!!! Yes. They are knights who are noble and who wouldn't want their ego to be hurt. They wanted war abruptly than thinking of the future and what it will cost their beautiful family!

But then with this anger I have, I owe them a very important thing! I would not have cried a bu
Gardavson
I was disappointed with Raine's story. He had potential to be my favorite brother. Alyx, though, is a disappointment. There is nothing particularly interesting about her. Other than her ability to sing, she has no compelling qualities. I like her story, how she came to meet Raine, but I didn't think she was right for him. He's loves Judith, who is so strong, capable, and logical but falls for Alyx, who is none of these things. If Deveraux wanted to rewrite this story with a better heroine, I'll ...more
Alexis Apodaca
May 30, 2012 Alexis Apodaca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This actually the third in the velvet series. We follow Gavin and Stephens younger brother raine into the forest because he's been deemed a traitor by the king. He meets alyx, supposed to be a young boy as his squire... She's been outcast as a witch and has a reward on her head.

I loved this book, love seeing old friends from the previous two books. It's a lovely adventure through the forest and another brother takes your heart! This is the second time I've read this and finished it in less than
Pamela(AllHoney)
The third in the "Velvet" series and the fourth in the Montgomery series by Jude Deveraux. A wonderful series set in Renaissance England. Raine Montgomery is declared a traitor by his king and hides in the woods. (Robin Hood? LOL) Alyx Blackelt is a young woman with the voice of an angel and on the run from a murdering nobleman. She is disguised as a boy and ends up with Raine and his group in the woods.
Morgan
Apr 12, 2013 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: it-s-getting-hot
The Velvet Song was the second novel of Jude Deveraux's that I have read and I wasn't disappointed! Again like the first novel I read of Deveraux's, The Heiress, I read it in a day and loved the attraction between the two main characters, Proud Lord Raine Montgomery & the musically gifted Alyx!

I would dress up as a boy to be with Raine Montgomery!!

Alisha
Apr 13, 2010 Alisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as the 2 before, although I enjoyed the slight change in the story. Instead of taking place with Nobles and the constant feud between the main characters; the story takes place in a forest with Thieves, Murderers and Outcasts. Of course there was till a constant battle between the main characters, it was a nice bit of change. Enjoyed just as much as the others in the series.
Dawn
Dec 20, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raine Montgomery, I just loved him in Highland Velvet and I thought I would love his story. It was okay. He being my favorite brother from this series deserved a little more. I thought they spent too much time apart.
Jody
Aug 06, 2011 Jody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the Velvet Series, Raine is the 3rd Montgomery brother and an outlaw I liken to Robin Hood. He falls in love with a poor musician, Alyxandria, who has disguised herself as a boy and hiding out with Raine's band of outlaws in the forest.
Madeleine
Oct 25, 2007 Madeleine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total heaving bosoms trash but surprisingly well-done and entertaining, the characters are decently developed and funny. Perfect for long car rides or transatlantic flights.
Amy Napier
Feb 11, 2013 Amy Napier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I named my son (who will soon be 21) Raine after the hero in this book...of course I love this book! :)
Buddy Reread ~ Lady Vigilante & Camaro 03/07/14 34 13 Jul 06, 2014 08:37AM
  • Fire Song (Medieval Song, #2)
  • By Design (Medieval #2)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Glorious Angel (Southern, #1)
  • Gentle Warrior
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy (4 books)
  • The Velvet Promise