Start by marking “The Dada Caper” as Want to Read:
The Dada Caper

The Dada Caper (The Chance Purdue #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Published December 1st 1977 by Avon Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dada Caper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dada Caper

zxvasdf
I am very disappointed that Ross H Spencer doesn't have as many fans as he deserves. Most people who have read his work are hung up on his marked lack of punctuation and unique brand of stream-of-consciousness. They don't bring to attention the insane amount of one liners, puns, small jokes that stream from every page. A joke is funny because it superimposes elements of the mundane into absurd configurations, and this is something Ross H Spencer does very well. A sample:

At the end of the week a
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
Okay. To properly get across how it felt reading "The Dada Caper", the rest of this review will be written in the prose style of the book.

I read this book eight years ago.

I read this book at home.

I got this book at Goodwill.

I did not have to pay much for this book.

This book is a detective story.

I thought it would be a funny book.

I thought it would be a silly book.

I thought it would be a book that would surprise me.

This book was not good.

This book was disappointing.

This book dragged on for too lo
Jz
In order to read this book, I googled Ross H Spencer to see what's the skinny on an author I'd never heard of but liked his book covers to buy them. He was touted as being self taught in Mike Resnick's homage to his friend. "All self-taught in a hospital bed at the age of 50-plus, his only textbooks a pair of bestselling novels that he found too silly to be considered seriously." (Robert Parker's Spenser novels)

I should have looked inside. No punctuation but periods. Every sentence a paragraph.
Michael
I'm not really a detective novel person, but I have to give credit to my father-in-law for finding a novel that fit my wit and reading level. Perfect reading for a cold, lazy day!
Wmplante
Crap your pants funny, especially if you like hardboiled detective novel parodies as I do.
John
Every single one of Ross's Chance Perdue Mysteries were absurd and hilarious.
Richard
Chance Purdue vs. Destroy America, Destroy America. Still funny.
Dani S
Dani S marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Arcot Venugopal
Arcot Venugopal marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2012
Vedran
Vedran marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2012
Jul 21, 2011
Dan
Dan added it
Aug 28, 2008
Reggis Arms Caper The Compleat Chance Purdue The Stranger City Caper The Missing Bishop Monastery Nightmare