Jeux d'ombres (La Compagnie Noire, #4)

Jeux d'ombres (The Chronicles of the Black Company #4)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  4,375 ratings  ·  78 reviews
De la compagnie noire, la meilleure troupe de soldats du monde, il ne reste plus grand chose. À vrai dire, ils ne sont plus que sept. Parmi eux: le vieux sorcier "Qu'un Œil", Otto, le guerrier aux cent blessures, Gobelin et quelques autres. À leur tête, Toubib, décidé malgré tout à continuer l'écriture des annales de la compagnie et à retrouver les archives.

Une nouvelle p

Published April 18th 2001 by L'Atalante (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Jeux d'ombres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jeux d'ombres

Markus
The heart is stilled but the corpse stumbles on. The Company is dead in fact but not in name.
And we, O merciless gods, stand witness to the power of names.

After decades of fighting in the dark empire of the north, the huge and devastating battle at the Tower of Charm, and the awakening of an ancient evil in the Barrowland, the Black Company turns south in a quest to find its mysterious origins and the long lost city of Khatovar.

A couple of the most interesting characters are absent in this novel...more
Sumant Natkar
This book was some what let down for me as it did not live up to the standards set by first three books in the series, this book basically consists of journey of company back to Khatovar where they are going to place the annals of the company.More than 25% of book consisted of traveling different regions up to Beryl, where everything actually began in the first book.I forgot to mention in my last review but got to give credit to narrator of books Mark Vietor so far he has done an awesome job and...more
Athena (Shardbearer)
Actual Rating 3.5

Buddy read with Gavin

GAH!!!! Glen Cook, what a cliff hanger.

It wasn't as great as the last three, more of the slow years. It did drag in places, loved the Lady and Croakers relationship but I have questions...and I need answers!!!
Gavin
Shadow Games is the fourth book in The Black Company series. It's not quite as strong as the books from the original trilogy, but it's a worthwhile entry into the series.

This is the tale of The Black Company's attempts to return their vaunted annals to Khatovar, the Company's place of origin. Of course the path to Khatovar is fraught with mishaps!

I liked the story and Lady was a good addition to the team. Plenty of other familiar faces pop up as well. Croaker remains an interesting character....more
Chichipio
I started this one feeling a little tired of the Black Company, but it took only a few paragraphs to remind me why I enjoy this world so much.

It's never easy continuing a series after a successful trilogy, and I think the fourth—mostly unrelated—book shows that. This one, with most of the old timers back, and Croaker in the role of narrator, manages to be a nice change of direction for the series. And after that ending I can't wait to know what happens next.
Robertb
Kirt
We return to our familiar narrator, Croaker, as he leads the Company south, back into the history of the Company, trying to find its place of origin. It's not bad, tying up some more loose ends, getting a better view of the world the Black Company lives in, and introducing some new dangers for the Company to deal with, most of which are tied up with the troubles of a pacifist city and militaristic Shadowmasters to the south, powerful sorcerers that command disturbing undead shadows.

My biggest co...more
Killian Weber
The Lady joins Croaker as they trek to their hometown to drop of their annals. They encounter a little more resistance than they anticipated. They get hired to stop the Shadowmasters. Croaker is then thought to be killed in a battle. Croaker is really taken by the thought to be dead Soulcatcher.
This another great book by Glen Cook. This is a dark book but a great story.
Ashley
Chronicles of the Black Company was one of the best fantasy novels I have read in a long time. I was excited to begin the next set of the Black Company novels in Books of the South. Even though I read the omnibus edition I will have to post these books separately because I have much to say.

According to Goodreads, Shadow Games is apparently the fifth installment of the Chronicles of the Black Company. It is preceded by The Silver Spike. However, in the Omnibus edition, Shadow Games comes first, s...more
Ronny
I read this book 15 years ago, and while I remember loving every part of the series (except the first few chapters of the first book), I never did manage to find this book in a non-omnibus edition until I found it in a used bookstore now.

Kip
Hmm, started out OK, but it appears he's recycling characters from the first three books. Soulcatcher, Howler, many of the Taken are back just with new names. Lady getting her power back? Really? Croaker not really dead? Sigh.

I'll give the first book in the next set a read only because it's available on Paperbackswap.com. Gonna have to grab me to continue with the Black Company...

* Couldn't finish
** I had nothing else to do
*** Passed the time, would be **** for genre / author fans
**** Everyone c...more
Charles
I thought the Books of the south tended to revitalize the series and I liked them well.
Graham
Mel
Shadow games wasn't quite as good. The book felt a little clumsy. It felt more like "traditional" fantasy. There was a lot of travelling. The first half really seemed kinda aimless, but I suppose this fitted with the characters as they also felt kinda purposeless. As much as I loved Croaker in the other novels this one he does a few, while very human, almost unforgiveable, things. He has taken on the role of the Captain and the book is basically him making a huge mess of everything. The setting...more
Robin Wiley
After each of these books I wonder how is there another one. There doesn't seem to be a way to continue the story. Then I am pleasantly surprised.

The 1980's was mostly required reading for me. But when I had time, I was really disappointed with fantasy. Shitty covers, Lord of the Rings quest knockoffs, and dragon rider stories. Anyway, I made my way into Sci-Fi and am a more complete and happy human because of it.

But this series waited patiently for me to find it. This is Band of Brothers with l...more
Nicolas
Dans ce quatrième tome des aventures de la compagnie noire, on retrouve Toubib et ses potes quittant l'empire de la Dame pour s'en retourner, pas très joyeux, dans le lieu d'origine mythique de la compagnie : Kathovar. Et bien sûr, tout ne se passe pas comme prévu. Ce qui me plaît avec cette histoire, c'est que je n'ai finallement pas besoin de faire un bon résumé, car l'histoire est somme toute assez simple : de longues marches, des combats acharnés, confus et meurtriers avec, aussi et surtout,...more
Gwern
Croaker and company head south, and things go surprisingly smoothly and well in the African countries they travel through until south of the Nile, they discover an evil empire is in their path menacing an innocent Babylonian-style city. Naturally, _Dances with Wolves_ style, they'll help the hapless natives protect themselves. And we get not one but *four* of the old Taken coming back to life (Howler, Shaper, Stormbringer, and Soulcatcher) -_-. Oh and also a 'buried evil' a la the Dominator. Yes...more
J Brandon Gibson
I love The Black Company. I fell in love with it again in The White Rose. Shadow Games just reminded me of why I love it.

If the Black Company would ever set their course towards Westeros, than The Game of Thrones would have only lasted one book. If you have read The Black Company, Shadow's Linger, and The White Rose... please don't stop. Shadow Games is worth the read.
Mei
Someone else said this in their review and I totally agree - by the time I had finished the last book before this one, I had pretty much had enough of The Black Company and needed a break. But o be fair I had just devoured all the books and read them back-to-back in a very short and intense period, so no wonder I was fatigued. They are pretty dense in the sense that a lot happens and many events and characters are packed into each one. So coming back to this one after a break seems to have done...more
Brian
Series: 11/27/2005 5/10

The Black Company series' premise was very interesting - a gritty dark take on the ins and outs of a military company in a fantasy world. It didn't really live up to expectations though. I would've preferred to see more of the company rather than the focus on one individual. The series definitely has it's ups and downs. Some books are decent and others are pretty bad - it seemed to get worse as it went on. The plotting was pretty poor and the characters were one-dimensiona...more
Alex
Chris Hawks
My favorite of the Black Company books so far, though that could just be because Croaker's the narrator again. (I read The Silver Spike before this one -- a move I recommend, as this book drops some hints that would have driven me crazy had I not known they wouldn't be resolved in the series proper.) A number of surprises in this book, mainly some unexpected returns, and the revelation of the Shadowmasters' identities.

The narration is quite enjoyable, and I found myself often chuckling out loud...more
Kristen
husband's favourite series, not my kind of books but i really enjoyed the first couple. i started to get bored after the 3rd one. but they are still very well written, just not my style.
Bobbi Jo
I love Glen Cook. He never fails. I'm always sucked in. This is by no means a stand alone book and no reader should expect to get much more than confusion out of reading this book without the history of the others. That being said, I recommend reading the others and this one. ^.^
As I read his books, I see the world in the story so vividly but he gives description only sparingly. I suspect people with less forgiving imaginations may find everything Cook writes very barren.
I'm excited to read the...more
TheDenizen
After dealing with the threat of the Dominator, the Lady and the Taken in the North, the remnants of the Black Company turn around and begin an epic journey South. Marching thousands of miles into lands long forgotten, ostensibly to discover the origins of the Free Companies of Khatovar, they run smack into the territory of the mysterious Shadowmasters.

I love Croaker's Annals, his writing belies his nature as a cynical, tired old man. Plenty of military strategy, bloody battle, and gallows humor...more
Emeyin
I only gave it two stars because this was the first book I read about the Black Company and it was not a good idea to start on book #5 of the series (at the time I thought it was book 1). I was lost for most if not all of the book and I couldn't get into any of the characters making me want to quit the book. I will have to read the first book and then work my way back up the series and then give a better review.

Second read: Read book in chronological order and I think it was pretty good. I was...more
Jordan
Feb 25, 2014 Jordan marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read most of this book long ago, and I recall that it meandered so greatly that eventually I just gave up on it.
Kate
I can definitely understand why some people consider the Books of the North to be the only "true" Black Company books, and often look down upon these later books with disdain. There's a definite tone change that happens, and Croaker and Lady almost seem like completely different characters.

Well, they are. Both have been thrust into different circumstances than they were in in the previous books, so a shift was definitely in order.

All around this is a good book, as usual Cook likes to take a more...more
Anthony Giordano
Read my review on this, the fourth book in the Black Company series,here:

Stefan Etim-james
goood things abound, not to keen on that cliffhanger ending though
  • Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)
  • Return of the Crimson Guard (Malazan Empire, #2)
  • Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • Hero in the Shadows (Drenai Saga, #9)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m...more
More about Glen Cook...
The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1) Chronicles of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1-3) The White Rose (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #3) Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2) The Books of the South: Tales of the Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4-6)

“Every ounce of my cynicism is supported by historical precedent.” 169 likes
“I guess I suffer from an impoverishment of the sociopathic spirit necessary to go big time.” 7 likes