Start by marking “Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #2)

Shadows Linger (The Chronicles of the Black Company #2)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  10,729 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Mercenary soldiers in the service of the Lady, the Black Company stands against the rebels of the White Rose. They are tough men, proud of honoring their contracts. The Lady is evil, but so, too, are those who falsely profess to follow the White Rose, reincarnation of a centuries-dead heroine. Yet now some of the Company have discovered that the mute girl they rescued and
Mass Market Paperback, 319 pages
Published April 15th 1990 by Tor Books (first published October 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows Linger, please sign up.

Drew Mccaffrey Mostly it's a reference to the fact that shadows still lurk in the world even after the Lady's victory at Charm and repression of the female Taken…moreMostly it's a reference to the fact that shadows still lurk in the world even after the Lady's victory at Charm and repression of the female Taken plot to revive the Dominator. Overtly this refers to the Dominator's escape route with the castles, but it's also a nod both to Croaker's lingering doubts about the Lady and the abiding rivalry between the Taken and the Company.(less)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with the BBB mercenaries

A warning from Sarah from the future (the Sarah that just finished writing this review): this is quite possibly the crappiest review I've ever written. It doesn't make any sense and doesn't do the book justice (that's the understatement of the century right there). So prepare for a seriously uninteresting rambling fest. Because I can't think straight today (view spoiler)
Robin (Bridge Four)
Did you make it through The Black Company? I feel like you deserve a merit badge if you were able to pull it off without anyone else to help you with the sticky parts. It was a good book but Glen Cook doesn’t do any info-dumping so it is definitely a ‘learn as you go’ kind of book and I needed a little help along the way.

description

The good news is that Shadow’s Linger flows much much better. It was so much easier to follow because: One, the chapters are shorter and so they didn’t feel so jumpy. Two, it is
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Dec 03, 2015 Eon ♒Windrunner♒ rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

I loved The Black Company. Shadows Linger was still very good, but it is a different beast entirely. Fans of the series should not be disappointed though. Glen Cook delivers another winner and sets up the last book in the series beautifully.

The book has two main story-lines.

In one we follow some ex Black Company members as they while away their days in Juniper and a couple of local inhabitants who are mostly up to no good.

In the other we follow The Black Company on their never-ending c
Wanda
The continuing saga of the Black Company, a group of mercenaries who will have been hired by The Lady, an undead ruler whose evil is possibly preferential to that of her trapped-in-his-grave husband, The Dominator.

Shadows Linger explores the everyday evil of human existence, through the person of Shed Marron, an innkeeper in a remote city where the Company finds itself stationed. Shed is a miserable coward, scared of physical harm, poverty, and the judgment of his neighbours. When he gets money,
Markus
Nov 21, 2015 Markus rated it liked it
"I believe in our side and theirs, with the good and evil decided after the fact, by those who survive. Among men you seldom find the good with one standard and the shadow with another."

3,5 stars

Not as good as the first one, though it does keep most of the elements that made The Black Company so good. The most disappointing part was that all the interesting characters from the first book (the Lady, the Taken, Raven and Darling) are barely present in the second. They appear, of course, but they a
Greg
Mar 23, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
Forget the book for a minute and look at this cover!!

I think I have a rough idea what is going on in this picture, but it nothing like the book. I don't know if I would ever read a book with this cover, fortunately the book is in a collection (or omnibus (what a dumb word)) with two other novels. And the collection cover is pretty bad ass, or at least what I would picture members of the black company to look like (I'm not so sure about the chick, she sort of looks like descriptions of The Lady,
Gavin
May 11, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Shadows Linger was even better than the first book in The Black Company series. It had all the positives of the first book and successfully replaced the slow campaign marches with some exciting intrigue. I worried about the split POV's for a while, but it worked out well in the end as Maron Shed turned out to be as fascinating a character to read about as Croaker.

After the way this book ended I'm looking forward to reading The White Rose.

Rating: 4 stars.
Choko
Nov 25, 2015 Choko rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fantasy-grim
A buddy read with BBB and loving it!

*** 4 ***

A different type of storytelling and a different type of story. And I am talking about the good type of different, not the " ooo my, this was very uncomfortable and chaotic " type. Actually, I think this story was easier going since we had some background and were comfortable in this world full of darkness and dissolution. It was also more linear and the action picked up quite a bit toward the end. I couldn't put it down and have barely started cookin
Carol.
Jul 14, 2012 Carol. rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, action, male-lead
Something about Cook--he just has a way of weaving a story that keeps me interested, even when I'm not altogether enjoying it. It can be difficult to read about desperate innkeepers, snitches needing to make a buck and a mercenary company, because none of the protagonists truly seem likeable. Cook builds both action and suspense, however, and I can't help but keep going to see how it turns out. Easier to follow than it's predecessor, it does still have parts that are hard to follow, especially ...more
Maggie K
Jun 26, 2013 Maggie K rated it really liked it
This really picks up from where the first book left off...The company sees a lot more variety of action as they come up against the Lady's husband, the Dominator...who is SUPPOSED to be buried very deep....Frankly, the first book and its setting up of the characters and the world was a little confusing and hard to read, whereas I practically ate this one up...100% improvement!
Stephen
5.5 stars. The second chronicle of the Black Company. I absolutely love these books. My only complaint is that I wish the books were longer so that the author could provide mre detail to the incredible world he has created. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!
Eilonwy
4-1/2 stars that may get rounded up.

Review to come once I figure out what to say without spoilers.

Short form, this book was terrific, carrying the big plot arc forward while being scary and gripping and completely absorbing. And it made me cry at the end. It's powerful stuff.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2), Glen Cook
عنوان: سرگذشت گروهان سیاه؛ کتاب دوم - سایه های ابدی؛ نویسنده: گلن کوک؛ مترجم: آیدا کشوری؛ ویراستار: گودرز پایکوب؛ تهران، کتابسرای تندیس، 1394؛ در 472 ص؛ شابک: 9786001821578؛؛
Jake
Dec 21, 2013 Jake rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series
I first heard about the Black Company novels in a thread on www.rpg.net. The premise sounded interesting, and when I saw that it was at least in part used as source material for Exalted, I figured I’d check it out.

The Chronicles of the Black Company (of which Shadows Linger is the second novel) is a series of fantasy novels that follows the activities of a mercenary group called…the Black Company. I guess that was obvious, huh? What’s not so obvious is how the story line goes.

Imagine reading the
Athena Shardbearer

DEAD

Marcos
Feb 09, 2016 Marcos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Muito, muito bom. Uma história intensa, cheia de reviravoltas. Personagens cativantes e tensão no ar a cada página. Cook sabe prender a atenção do leitor, com poucas descrições e foco na história e nos personagens. A concisão do estilo dá ritmo à história e aqui e ali deixa escapar pérolas de sarcasmos, ironia e até uma ou outra consideração filosófica. O primeiro livro da série achei um pouco confuso, a história parece um roteiro de videogame, mas mesmo assim me cativou, por algum motivo. Nesta ...more
Caro M.
Apr 19, 2015 Caro M. rated it really liked it
Now this one was a fun ride!
OhWell
Nov 28, 2015 OhWell rated it really liked it
Well, it does have a different feel than The Black Company. It's a detective story, more or less. But that's not a bad thing!

It's different in terms of characters and focus, too. The Company is split for most of the time - in terms of location, not loyalties. I did miss Goblin and One-Eye's contests... There's a scene in the beginning when you fear things get sour between them, but One-Eye's statement towards the end is telling:
"If that bastard Goblin got himself killed, I'll wring his neck."

A s
Aida
Jun 16, 2015 Aida rated it it was amazing
در ساعت 10:08 شب ترجمه این جلد هم تموم شد. البته هنوز کلی کار داره که خوندنی بشه!

درباره خود کتاب بخوام بگم. اگه می گفتم کتاب اول 5 ستاره هست باید به این ده ستاره بدم ولی متأسفانه گودریدز اون قدر که باید ستاره نداره که عمق احساس من رو نشون بده!

توی این جلد به نظرم نویسنده به اوج تفکر و شناخت روانی آدمها رسیده. از یک انسان بزدل یه هیولا میسازه و بعد دوباره سعی میکنه انسانش کنه!

این بار از دو راوی برای گفتن داستان استفاده شده. یکی طبیب و یکی هم سوم شخص یا دانای کل. من به شخصه توی این جلد بخش های دان
Igor
Nov 24, 2015 Igor rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The second book is excellent.
Writing is much better, flowy and there is no epic battles described in few sentences.
The story continues well, focusing on Lady's effort to stop Dominator to come to their world as well as following Black company and their interests which became quite a bit different then in the first book.
For all those that found first book a bit odd, endure it as follow up is excellent. On my way for the third one.
Ashley
Jul 19, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Chronicles of the Black Company (1-3) is a very unique, dark, violent, and engaging fantasy book. It follows a group of mercenaries, the Black Company, through an ongoing war with the Lady and the Rebles. Though the beginning of the book is confusing because the Company is really unaware of where they are fighting or who they are fighting for, they eventually follow the Lady and the book becomes easier to read (after a few chapters). The book is written in first-person in the form of annals by ...more
Andreas
Jun 29, 2013 Andreas rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, reviewed, 2013
After all the voyages within the first book, this is quite a change - most of the stuff happens in that creepy city Juniper. I really had to get used to this change of narrative style. But I like it to be able to concentrate on one special part of the world and its ecosystem.

One half of the book is told from Croaker's POV once again - it always get's the best when Cook describes the inner relationships of the Black Company's guys and towards the Lady and her minions.
And there is a second POV -
Nikki
Sep 17, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
More gritty fantasy, like the first book. It's interesting to note that Steven Erikson has praised these books, because it does remind me of Erikson's work -- except, I don't know I like Erikson's more, from what I've read so far.

With the world established, the action has more time to roll, and plenty happens in this book. It's easier to follow now you know the names and concepts, and you know what to expect. Maybe I've read a few too many books published since this one was, because other people
Tatjana
Oct 24, 2015 Tatjana rated it it was amazing
Iako sam naisla na raznorazne kritike ove serije, meni je ovo odlicno. Nazalost, imam samo jos jednu :(
Eric
"Best way out," Elmo observed laconically, "would be to kill everybody who knows anything, then all of us fall on our swords."

"Sounds a little extreme," Goblin opined. "But if you want to go first, I'm right behind you."

Shadows Linger is an unexpectedly low-key, though by no means unwelcome, suspenseful thriller sequel to The Black Company . Though the first novel had its' fair share of schemes and intrigue it was primarily a chronicle of the war between the Lady and the Rebel (the catch-all la
Sumant
Aug 23, 2014 Sumant rated it really liked it
I started this book immediately after I had finished with The black company as I had found the first book to be engaging after 50 pages or so but this book the I think cook has hit his stride from the start, the last book was basically given us to from the pov of Croaker who is basically annalist/fighter/physician for the black company.But this story progressed from the pov of Maron shade whom I think is one of the most interesting characters who develops excellently throughout the story we get ...more
Robin Wiley
Jul 22, 2012 Robin Wiley rated it it was amazing
Book 2 was even better!

I'm sorry I'm decades late in finding this series. But it definately goes up there with Martin, Lynch, Abercrombie and Keyes. All of my favorite things - action, sarcasm, creatures, magic and cool places. It's my own personal reading list of Yay!

This has a creepy black castle with creatures who pay good money for dead bodies (and better money for live ones - Yikes!)

If The Lady is like Sauroman, her husband, the Dominator is like Sauron. He's REALLY pissed she woke up and l
Derek
Apr 13, 2015 Derek rated it liked it
Marron Shed.

Its heart is Marron Shed, a petty innkeeper in the downtrodden burg of Juniper, whose story aside from details wouldn't be out of place in the Hard Case Crimes series: poverty, oppressive debt, and bad, hard, at times stupid decisions because of poverty and oppressive debt. He hangs on by razor's edge, with his problems always just about to overwhelm him, and as problems are resolved, new ones appear or mutate.

And when he seemingly doesn't have any, he'll invent a few, and this is t
Angirasa Acharya
Oct 20, 2011 Angirasa Acharya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, glen-cook
This is the second novel in the series. Barely had I put the first one down than I picked this one up. This one picks up where the first book in the series left off. Just as the first book, Shadows Linger hooks you before the first chapter takes off (and the first chapter is only half a page long!) :)

Took a day and a half to ruffle the pages through to the last and I'm going to dig into the third book as soon as I'm done with this little review thingy.

The style this novel is written in is very d
Skaistė
Skaitėsi lengviau nei pirma dalis, o ypač artėjant prie pabaigos. Buvo aiškiau, kas vyksta, be to susiduri su jau pažįstamais veikėjais, kurių likimas rūpi. O ir naujų atsirado, prie kurių netikėtai ėmiau priprasti ar net prisirišti. Šiek tiek stebiuosi, nes esu pripratus prie veikėjų, kurie kovoja už "gėrį", o čia visai kitaip. Bet vis dėlto įtraukia ir sudomina. Ir norisi skaityti tęsinius.
  • Orb Sceptre Throne (Malazan Empire #4)
  • Reaper's Gale (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #7)
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • Caine Black Knife (The Acts of Caine, #3)
  • When True Night Falls (The Coldfire Trilogy, #2)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Prince of Nothing, #2)
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with ...more
More about Glen Cook...

The Chronicles of the Black Company (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #1)
  • The White Rose (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #3)
  • Shadow Games (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #4)
  • Dreams of Steel (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #5)
  • Bleak Seasons (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #6)
  • She is the Darkness (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #7)
  • Water Sleeps (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #8)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #9)
  • A Pitiless Rain (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #10)
  • Port of Shadows (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #11)

“I believe in our side and theirs, with the good and evil decided after the fact, by those who survive. Among men you seldom find the good with one standard and the shadow with another.” 46 likes
“Oh, 'twould be marvelous if the world and its moral questions were like some game board, with plain black players and white, and fixed rules, and nary a shade of grey.” 30 likes