Start by marking “Stars' End (Starfishers Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Stars' End (Starfishers Trilogy, #3)

Stars' End (Starfishers Trilogy #3)

The Fortress on the edge of the galaxy was called Stars' End, a planet build for death, but by whom? It lay on the outermost arm of the Milky Way, silent, cloaked in mystery, self-contained and controlled, tantalizingly close to the harvesting Starfishers. If they could gain control of that arsenal, the Starfishers need never fear the Confederation's navy nor the forces of ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 351 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Warner Books (NY) (first published July 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Stars' End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars' End

Richard
Apr 16, 2015 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is, apparently, one of the middle books of a multi-volume series. As such, the book is difficult to follow if the reader has not already read the predecessor books in the series. I found it very difficult to follow the story because the author did not provide story continuity until well into the book. In addition, there were so very many plot threads that they seemed to tie into a Gordian Knot. The characters are not very well-developed. The dialog is not believable. The author wants us to ...more
Eric Wisdahl
Sep 29, 2009 Eric Wisdahl rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Lesley
Sep 07, 2008 Lesley rated it liked it
Star's End wraps up the Starfishers trilogy (although apparently he wrote another novel set in the same universe some years later, Passage at Arms, which I have yet to acquire). Star's End is a stronger novel than Starfishers but not as worthwhile as Shadowline. It leads off the events that took place in Starfishers and neatly wraps up all the odd loose ends in it. I enjoyed many of the concepts in Star's End, but I felt like some of its best ideas were largely wasted. For instance, the moment w ...more
Jesse Mcconnell
Sep 20, 2012 Jesse Mcconnell rated it really liked it
This is the grand entry of the series into the rest of the story's universe - exploding with a galaxy-wide impact. The entire series has been building to this story, and it carries it off with a marvelous bang, leaving the series clearly completed, but the galaxy obviously entering a brand new phase.

Whether everything wraps up to a satisfactory to the reader will depend on the reader's preferences, but there's not denying the power of the story to rip the reader along with it as it blasts along.
Jay
Apr 01, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I never read the first two volumes of the Starfishers trilogy, just this book and Passage at Arms. Nonetheless, this is one of my all time favorite books. It's not chock full of hard science, but it does present a threat so chilling, and of such magnitude, that I literally had to stop reading for a while, so I could process through the implications. I hope Glen Cook will return to this series. I'd love to see the shape of this universe a few hundred years after the events of this book.
Brian Richardson
Perhaps it was false expectations, but a book titled "Stars' End" should really focus on the title subject...the Stars' End Death-Star-like fortress planet and the use of that technology to drive back the hordes from the center of the galaxy. Sounds exciting, no? Unfortunately, that piece took up about 10 pages at the end of the book. To get there, you slog through endless depressed musings and odd, not-quite-right personal interactions between characters that are difficult to love.
Matt
Nov 04, 2010 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd ending to what amounts to be a fairly good, if scattered, series. Cook takes an interesting tack of making the final conflict, the one that everything's leading up to, exist almost solely on a personal level, ignoring the larger story at hand. It changes the status quo of the universe that Cook created drastically, but doesn't give us time to learn what this new status quo is. Good, but, again, very odd.
Brad
Sep 25, 2011 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I enjoyed this series overall. I would not really classify this as a trilogy. The first book in the series has little to do with the second two books. It just introduces the character Mouse and some other details. More of a prequel. The second two books were jammed packed with details, really one long novel. I was entertained, since I was looking for some space opera.
Larry Kenney
This was a great end to the series. It didn't go the way i predicted from the end of the second book, and it turned out great.

The twists and turns of this one were hard to predict, and i really enjoyed it for that.

Leave it to Glen Cook to take a series all the way to the extremes of epicness.
Nick
Apr 19, 2016 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This novel really should have been combined with Shadowline. It is the superior of the two novels. Much of what I said for the second can be said for this one. the internal complexities were a bit more entertaining, the end showed it to be a bit of fluff for public consumption.
Mars
May 22, 2014 Mars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you ignore the last 10% of the book, it's probably the best of the trilogy.

The actual ending is somewhat akin to that of the LotR movies - it's over, and you know it's over, and the author knows it's over, but it just drags on and on.
George Christie
Excellent. Wish there would be some follow up, I think the thousand year war could have some good stories in it
Khartun
Khartun marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Bookwraiths
Bookwraiths marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Justin Straker
Justin Straker rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Charles Hargan
Charles Hargan rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2016
Geoff Bavin
Geoff Bavin marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Nick
Nick is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2016
Andrew Staniszewski
Andrew Staniszewski rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
biltung
biltung marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Kevin Young
Kevin Young marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Carina
Carina rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2016
Dylan
Dylan marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Joseph F. Hiller
Joseph F. Hiller rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2016
Mike Skata
Mike Skata rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2016
E.Y.E.-D
E.Y.E.-D marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Ren
Ren marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Behzat
Behzat rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Sorin
Sorin added it
Jul 14, 2016
  • The Shattered Sphere (The Hunted Earth, #2)
  • The Eternal Prison (Avery Cates, #3)
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 1
  • The Scoundrel Worlds (Star Risk, #2)
  • Jed the Dead
  • Path of the Fury
  • Element Zero (Revivors, #3)
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • Carve the Sky
  • The Web of Spider (Spider, #3)
  • Renegade (Isaac Asimov's Robot City: Robots and Aliens, #2)
  • Adventures (The Chronicles of Lucifer Jones, #1)
  • All My Sins Remembered
  • The Tenth Planet (The Tenth Planet #1)
  • The Van Rijn Method (Technic Civilization 1)
  • Logos Run
  • Planet of Treachery (Family D'Alembert, #7)
  • The Ultimates: Against All Enemies
Glen Cook was born in New York City, lived in southern Indiana as a small child, then grew up in Northern California. After high school he served in the U.S. Navy and attended the University of Missouri. He worked for General Motors for 33 years, retiring some years ago. He started writing short stories in 7th grade, had several published in a high school literary magazine. He began writing with m ...more
More about Glen Cook...

Starfishers Trilogy (4 books)
  • Shadowline (Starfishers Trilogy, #1)
  • Starfishers (Starfishers Trilogy, #2)
  • Passage at Arms (Starfishers Trilogy, #4)