Start by marking “Under a Tin-Grey Sari” as Want to Read:
Under a Tin-Grey Sari

Under a Tin-Grey Sari

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  16 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Under a Tin-Grey Sari is a sensual love story set in 1967 in the bustling city of Chittagong, East Pakistan. It is a time of boom and ferment, when a household cook may dream of fame and fortune, a bearer brazenly spit in the drinks of oblivious sahibs, an ayah sublimely seduce a minisahib and a letterwriter link the dead with the living.
Published October 1st 2002 by Fremantle Arts Centre Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Under a Tin-Grey Sari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under a Tin-Grey Sari

অর্বাচীন   স্বজন
I was reading this book in bengali translation...couldn't finish it....when I was about 100 pages left to finish it , I actually gave up the wastage of time...
Book -O-Holic
Jun 29, 2016 Book -O-Holic rated it did not like it
**1/5**

" Khalid agreed they looked silly because they had no pigment but, "they drink water and they eat flour the same as you bastards."

This book got me in a reading slump. Something about the storyline I couldn't get into it at all. There were moments which were not only dragging but very confusing. Zeythi was annoying and so was the Minisahib. Interestingly I liked the President Roger's character. He redeems himself in the end. Wayne Ashton's writing is very good but I just couldn't get int
Wilma Rebstock
Jun 22, 2012 Wilma Rebstock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a wonderful book although I struggled in the early pages and nearly gave up on it. I was interested that it takes place in what is now Bangladesh, a place I have twice visited--in Rashahi (Sp?) and Dacca, not Chittagong. It makes me long to see my friends again and gives me plenty to think about. A lovely book!
Anne
Mar 12, 2012 Anne rated it liked it
I really liked this novel. I admit I am a sucker for anything set in India or Pakistan. However, I felt this really captured the spirit of hope that people in some of the bleakest points of their lives. The description was beautiful. Perhaps a bit slow for some, but an enjoyable read.
Suzanne Gibney
Suzanne Gibney rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
N
Dec 30, 2013 N rated it really liked it
Sweet book, it's in my collection. Interesting read!
Robert Collins
Robert Collins rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2009
Donna R
Donna R rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Lori
Lori rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2009
Lisa O'Rourke
Lisa O'Rourke rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2013
Despina
Despina marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2010
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2011
Clare Linzey
Clare Linzey marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2012
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Colbsi
Colbsi added it
Aug 23, 2012
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Loine
Loine added it
Mar 17, 2013
Momin
Momin marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
May 07, 2014
Phoebe
Phoebe marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Anand Kumar
Anand Kumar marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Yannie
Yannie added it
Jul 05, 2015
Pandji Dhewantara
Pandji Dhewantara is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Mel Brackstone
Mel Brackstone marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Danae
Danae marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Wayne Ashton
Wayne Ashton was born to British and Pakistani parents in Karachi, leaving there at five, and then was brought up in many corners of the world, Chittagong, Paris, Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh, Lagos, London, Perth and Sydney. His work spans painting, ink drawings and fiction. This includes: the highly acclaimed novel Under a Tin-Grey Sari; twelve solo exhibitions; many group shows; and three ra
More about Wayne Ashton...