Start by marking “Coils of the Serpent” as Want to Read:
Coils of the Serpent

Coils of the Serpent

2.83 of 5 stars 2.83  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Three friends discover convincing evidence that DNA and the patterns of life are described in the Bible; the discovery challenges Darwin, the foundations of the Church, and ruthless fundamentalist extremists.
Published October 25th 2007 by Infinity Publishing (PA)

To ask other readers questions about Coils of the Serpent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coils of the Serpent

Jaime Huff
Can science and religion co exist? "Coils of the Serpent" takes the reader through a scientific and Biblical debate like no other.

Three friends: Dan, an easy-going agnostic scientific genius whose father was a theology professor who mysteriously died 25 years ago. John, a self made financial whiz who found his rock in Christianity after battling substance abuse issues. Lastly, Shannon, a biotechnology grad student who was raised Catholic but retreated from religion due to conflicts with her scie
Tobi
A missing troubled teen, the mysterious death of a father, DNA, Genesis. What could these things have in common?

In, Coils of the Serpent by Raymond Clark Lutz these things are drawn together in a very unique way. Three friends talking in a coffee shop are approached by a homeless stranger and started on a wild and dangerous journey thorugh science, the bible, and the church. Trying to find any relationships between modern DNA knowledge and passages in the Bible the friends begin to discover ama
Lauri
I absolutely could not put this book down! The characters were finely drawn, and the action was nonstop. I was extremely impressed by the intense research the author did in putting this novel together. I found myself fascinated, and taking notes throughout. I actually pulled out a bible and did comparison readings, right along with the 3 main characters.

As if the actual story of the scientic inquiry of the bible wasn't enough, there is a concurrent story that will also hold you in it's grasp. I
Bobi
John  Royce
Writing is a brave act—though not usually as brave as "Coils of the Serpent," in which author Raymond Clark Lutz sets out to upset just about everyone. Everyone, that is, except his readers.

Lutz's engaging story asks an exciting question: What if the mysteries of genetics and evolution were addressed in the Bible? The quick answer is there would be a lot of angry theologians and flummoxed scientists, and the ideas presented in these pages are guaranteed to produce both.

"Coils of the Serpent" fol
Veronica
Jan 09, 2012 Veronica rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one.
While the subject matter is certainly intriguing--even for a godless heathen such as me--the execution is ham-fisted and unsatisfying. The characterization was crude and amateurish (the villains were practically tying women to the train tracks as they twirled their mustaches), and there was entirely too much "telling" and not enough "showing."

I was willing to let the author lead me into his world, but it was almost impossible to enjoy when the writing was just not up to par.
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2010
Jeffrey Belcher
Jeffrey Belcher marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2009