Start by marking “Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes” as Want to Read:
Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes

Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  702 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
From The Ashes, written by Hugo Award-winning author Timothy Zahn, sets the scene for the events chronicled in the movie Terminator Salvation, revealing the full story behind John Connor, the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators.

In post-Judgment Day LA, two lost kids named Kyle and Star keep watch for Terminators; a jaded Marine
Published March 17th 2009 by Titan Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Terminator Salvation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Terminator Salvation

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
326th out of 615 books — 918 voters
The Mummy by Max Allan CollinsGladiator by Dewey GramE.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in His Adventure on Earth by William KotzwinkleThe Pursuit of Happyness by Chris GardnerDances with Wolves by Michael Blake
books that are books
22nd out of 38 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
May 07, 2009 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Fan-favorite Timothy Zhan has proven that he can create incredibly readable, highly addictive original works and tie-in novels during his long and distinguished career. He helped launch the modern "Star Wars" novel over 20 years ago and now he turns his attention to the "Terminator" universe with a prequel to this summer's "Terminator: Salvation."

Given Zhan's solid background is creating futuristic military battles that are both engaged and easy for the reader to follow, the match of Zhan with t
Matt
Dec 03, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
This novel is being billed as “This is the story you must read before the brand-new movie hits theaters!” So, it is a must read for Terminator fans? I guess so. Does it give special insight into the movie? Not sure as I have not seen the movie yet but I will assume that you will be able to enjoy the movie without reading the novel.

In reality this is a self contained story with a beginning, middle and end. There is no real special insight into the Terminator Salvation universe to be gleamed from
Gregory
Jun 16, 2009 Gregory rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-scifi
Timothy Zahn rarely lets me down and he comes through here with a rousing tale of humans trying to still be human and take the fight to Skynet. Sure it's a pretty limited story (takes place over just a few days) and Zahn is writing with one hand tied behind his back given the history and the present of the franchise but he still gives you a fine ride. This book is great for readers who are also closet adrenalin junkies as it reads quickly and quickens the pulse. Ooh-rah!
Mike Kazmierczak
Jan 14, 2014 Mike Kazmierczak rated it liked it
I suppose that I should throw out a couple things before we get into the crux of this review. First, in case you somehow missed it, this novel is actually a prequel to the Terminator Salvation movie. And second, I read the book after I saw the movie; so any extra benefit of knowing what little things led into the bigger movie were kind of lost on me. Why did I read the book then? I've read Timothy Zahn's Star Wars novels and thought here was a chance for him to build upon existing characters in ...more
Brian Henderson
Aug 29, 2010 Brian Henderson rated it liked it
I initially picked this book up, not because I really cared about Terminator Salvation, the movie was lackluster at best, but because it was supposed to be a prequel of sorts to the movie and I love everything that Zahn does. That said though, this is a very limited story that really, in the end, means nothing.

It's essentially an action piece, John Connor and his band of resistance fighters are trying to officially get into the "Resistance" so they set their sights on a Skynet supply depot that
David Agranoff
I have more to say about the Terminator franchise than I probably have to say directly about this book, but I am going to do in this review since this book inspired to think about it. It is not a stretch for me to say that the first and second Terminator movies are two of my favorite movies of all time.

After the excellent sequel, it seemed like the franchise ended perfectly. T2 was genius, I didn’t believe they could turn Arnie into a hero, but Cameron pulled it off while making the T-1000 even
Shane Amazon
Oct 04, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it it was amazing
It must be a daunting task for any author to create a world full of death and destruction and still make the reader want to feel inspired enough to read about it until the very end. In Terminator Salvation: From the Ashes, Tim Zahn uses his creative writing ability to construct a world where the characters must look within themselves in order to survive not only from Skynet but from each other. Zahn spins a wonderful web of suspense and turmoil that pulls the reader into a post apocalyptic world ...more
Joseph Simons
Nov 28, 2012 Joseph Simons rated it it was amazing
What i liked about this book is the action. Almost right away in the story it is packed with action and is very well illustrated through words. Another thing the author does a great thing with in this book is connecting you with the characters which helps you understand what they are going through and what it would feel like to be in their shoes.
This story begins with Orozco who is a Marine in California when they witness the rise of Skynet with the bombing of many major cities around them. It
MicE
Nov 19, 2011 MicE rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-scifi
Abstract
Judgement Day - the day that a few selected knew about, the day for which they did everything they could to prevent from coming. And they would succeed, providing that the wheels of technological progress and man's lust for warfare could stop turning.
Timothy Zahn takes us to the time when man is facing it's largest challenge - it's ultimate test of Darwin's theory.

Story
The book takes place in remnants of what has once been Los Angeles, a city which was saved from being a direct target o
Nick
Dec 11, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
A good read as a pre-cursor to the films novel, has some nice backstory on the characters that felt a lot closer to how they were in T3 than the Salvation novels versions have so far.

Adam
Jul 27, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
This is a quick and easy read with plenty of action all the way through as you would expect from a Terminator story. It follows certain characters as their paths gradually intertwine. The characters are written very well, and reading about John Connor and a teenage Kyle Reese in the early days of the Resistance filled in a lot of blanks and gave a nod to some of what was mentioned in 'The Terminator'. The supporting characters are all interesting in their own right and I'm sure this will give so ...more
Randy
Mar 01, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it
From The Ashes is the official prequel to TERMINATOR SALVATION and forms the first of a trilogy(Zahn's Trial By Fire follows the movie).

We get introduced to all the primary characters in the film, John and Kate Connor, Barnes and Blair, a young Kyle Reese.

Two threads here: Connor's group has a plan to take a staging area for Skynet intact and a building that had been surviving in the ruins for years is about to be assaulted by a band of Terminators. Hundreds of men, women, and children. Connor t
Dieter De rarey
Jan 24, 2015 Dieter De rarey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I could imaging. Wouldn't stop reading after 50% of the book.
Bryan Waters
May 17, 2009 Bryan Waters rated it liked it
Another easy read in the Terminator series. This one gives you a deeper insight into John Connor as well as his father Kyle who just happens to be younger than his son in this book. Ah...the joys of time travel!

I read novels for escapism and this novel served that purpose very well. The writing is smooth and the story gripping that at some point, I stopped reading it and started experiencing it...I got so caught up that I remember the story visually the same way one would remember seeing a movie
Drake
Dec 05, 2013 Drake rated it really liked it
Terminator Salvation: From The Ashes is a book about how two settlements try to survive in a destroyed world ruled by Skynet. One group battles Skynet, and one is just trying to survive. John Connor and Kate lead a resistance to take down Skynet, but are slowly losing. Kyle and his little companion, Star, Move into a settlement where the Mayor doesn't want to take any part in the fight, and only wants to stay hidden. but when the terminators come, they both have to fight for there lives.
Sheila
Apr 10, 2009 Sheila rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Zahn--I still maintain he's the best Star Wars novelist out there--and grabbed this book so I could enjoy him and also get a sneak peek into the universe of the new Terminator movie before I go see it. It was really well done--appropriately dark in spots, with some nice character bits. I thought the last action bit took too long, as it was approximately the last third of the book, but a little judicious skimming made it all work. Now I'm really hyped to see the new movie!
Snuffles
Aug 11, 2009 Snuffles rated it really liked it
I finished this one in a day. At the beginning I feared that there would be nothing but action, but even though there was a lot of action, the characters still got enough interaction and thoughts (--> shifting POVs) to make them appear human and grow on me. Especially the characters which are in the movie as well and sometimes didn't get many lines there became a lot 'rounder' and more likeable for me after reading this book.
Derrick Reed
Jan 23, 2014 Derrick Reed rated it it was ok
Wish it was better.
Grave
Dec 23, 2012 Grave rated it really liked it
Couldn't put it down. Zahn has a real knack for capturing the tone and voice of characters created by others and still delivers the action you would expect from this series. In he end the story seemed kind of pointless in the grand scheme of things, but it was a very fun read. His descriptions of aerial dogfights and ground combat are just as exciting as the films.
Carmen Montopoli
Aug 09, 2014 Carmen Montopoli rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, adult
Yes, yes I am reading this book. In large part because it's by Tim Zahn, who wrote the best Star Wars books ever (which yeah, I know, is not saying much), but mostly because it's BADASS. Oh, Terminator.

Review: this is exactly what I was expecting. Godawful storytelling, tenuous plotline, all of which pulled together into a book which was a total joy to read.
Steve
Jul 03, 2009 Steve rated it it was ok
This was an extremely boring book. I generously gave it two stars only because of character recognition. The book did not have the excitement of terminator action and what was offered was weak at best. It read more like a small war novel. The author did not give adequate descriptions or the 'terror' factor to the machines that the movies typically can do.
Saphirablue
Jenn
Jun 01, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
This book was a quick read and was great (if you liked the Terminator series of course). If you are not a Terminator fan or if you are a casual fan (don't know the characters) you will need to pass on this one. It was "guilty pleasure" read from the airport bookstore--finished it in one round trip.
Kerry
Jul 15, 2009 Kerry rated it really liked it
I admit it, I am a sucker for Terminator books. This one is a prequel to the new movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, but if it continues the story in the book, I bet I will like it. Packed with action and adventure. Lots of backstory about Kyle Reese. Other new characters. Lotta fun.
Fritz
Jan 28, 2010 Fritz rated it really liked it
An awesome adventure leading up to the events in the movie and novel "Terminator Salvation". John Connor and his squad will try to save an underground establishment, all while trying to decimate a heavily guarded warehouse, belived to be a staging area for Skynet.
Marcus
May 09, 2009 Marcus rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2009-reading
This is the last time a read a movie prequel. Timothy Zahn is a great writer and this story definitely moved along. However, I think the narrow guidelines an author has for doing these types of novels really hurts their ability to write an outstanding novel.
Josh
May 04, 2012 Josh rated it it was ok

This wasn't what one might hope for, which is a tour-de-force leading up to the release of the movie. The scale was too small, and although the writing and action weren't bad, I just didn't care for the characters or what was happening to them.
Gene
Jun 16, 2016 Gene rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, apocolypse
This was a nice lead in for the movie. Set things up nicely. And no whats-his-name that Sam Worthington played. I was really looking forward to the Salvation movie, but felt that the Character Sam played really brought the movie down.
Chelsea
Oct 19, 2012 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Excellent read. Full of action (of course) and good character development. The only issue I had was the obvious man's viewpoint on a woman's feelings towards "loyalty" to her husband. Obvious fiction ;)
  • Terminator Salvation: Cold War
  • Terminator Omnibus Volume 1
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume Two (Firefly the Official Companion, #2)
  • Trinity Blood: Reborn on the Mars, Volume 2: The Iblis
  • Collision Course (Star Trek: Academy, #1)
  • Serenity
  • 螺子 [Neji]
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • Metropolis
  • Falling Skies
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more
More about Timothy Zahn...