Start by marking “The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson, #12)

The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson #12)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  237 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Never has DI Wesley Peterson witnessed such a bizarre crime scene. The victim, Charles Marrick, has been murdered, his body drained of blood. Described by those who knew him as 'evil', it seems that Wesley isn't going to have any shortage of suspects - until a popular local vet is murdered in an identical fashion...and a third body is discovered many miles away.

And when We
Published August 7th 2008 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Pit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Pit

Blood River by Tim ButcherHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingBlood Winter by Diana Pharaoh FrancisIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteA Taste of Blood Wine by Freda Warrington
Books of Blood
25th out of 127 books — 24 voters
Concrete Evidence by Rachel  GrantDeath of a Messenger by Robert B. McCawIn the Woods by Tana FrenchSkeleton Canyon by J.A. JanceA Rumor Of Bones by Beverly Connor
Great Archeological Thrillers
36th out of 54 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Lesa
Dec 13, 2011 Lesa rated it it was amazing

Kate Ellis is probably one of the best mystery authors most people have never heard of. I’ve read almost every book in her Wesley Peterson series; I own the first two books in her Joe Plantagenet series, although I haven’t read them yet, and I own her historical crime novel, The Devil’s Priest. Her recent books are hard to obtain in the U.S., and I’m going to have to get a few more from my local independent bookstore, The Poisoned Pen. But, anyone who enjoys the blend of contemporary mystery, po
Gary Van Cott
Mar 06, 2015 Gary Van Cott rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I think this book is one of the better ones I have read in this series so far. The author didn't exactly abandon the rather rigid formula she uses but at least altered it a bit here.
Val Sanford
Sep 23, 2013 Val Sanford rated it it was ok
Ho hum. This book never hits the right note. The personal tugs-of-war and petty complaints between husband and wide, boss and subordinate, would-be lover and the not-interested, play out in expected ways. The characters are on a so-what plane of existence and the murder just doesn't grab like previous books. This book feels forced and rushed. It doesn't tingle and tease and provoke. And it should! Blood letting rituals performed on medieval monks, hemlock-poisoned victims, returned parents and u ...more
Jan
Apr 02, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
This was a hard book for me...not sure why except that it was pretty challenging to track all the characters & elements of the plot.
Vivienne
Jul 28, 2013 Vivienne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another top-notch instalment in this series of police procedurals set in South Devon. Again the formula of combining present and near past crimes with that of a historical mystery, There were times when I wondered how it would all come together and it did in quite a shocking twist.

I am glad that I have read these in order though Ellis is quite good about keeping plot details of previous books quite vague though always supplying details of the character's stories.
Pamela
Sep 30, 2013 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
A good vacation read. The main characters in the series are an archaeologist and a policeman, who studied to be an archaeologist. I enjoy the back and forth between what the digs reveal and the clues the ploicemen are uncovering. Don't pay too much attention to the mysteries, just get carried along in between walks on the beach or travels through other lands, and you'll be satisfied.
Belle Wong
A bit disappointed with this one. Too many things hidden from the reader and ending wasn't credible given the way a previous scene was written (I even went back to reread the scene to see if my new perspective made a difference - it didn't).

Still like this series though, and have the most recent title from the library so will read that next.
Colin Andrews
Feb 14, 2012 Colin Andrews rated it really liked it
I enjoy these good, straight-forward murder mysteries , and The Blood Pit is probably the best one of the series I've read so far. Believable characters and interesting twists in the plot right up to the end. Location of Dartmouth & Torbay, thinly disguised in the books, is one I can relate to.
Angela Verdenius
Jul 01, 2013 Angela Verdenius rated it really liked it
I felt I knew a little more about Dt Wesley Peterson this time. Good story, again I didn't see the ending coming. What I like about Kate's writing, so far, is that the villain isn't someone you can pick early in the book. Well done, well written, good mystery, and very few swear words!
Puzzle Doctor
Jun 03, 2014 Puzzle Doctor rated it it was amazing
Another great book from a great series. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Terry Norton
Aug 19, 2013 Terry Norton rated it really liked it
Very good
Carole Sarvis
Mar 30, 2015 Carole Sarvis rated it liked it
good read
Ho Fun
Ho Fun marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Shirley Milliken
Shirley Milliken marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Julia Davey
Julia Davey rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Karey Fullmer
Karey Fullmer rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Susan Heckles
Susan Heckles rated it really liked it
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Michael Leroux
Michael Leroux marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
janice covell
janice covell rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Ellen Keane
Ellen Keane rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
  • Death Watch (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #2)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • Dying to Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Dead of Night  (Cetin Ikmen, #14)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Mud, Muck and Dead Things (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #1)
  • Five Dead Canaries
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Briefs Encountered
  • The Daughters of Gentlemen (A Frances Doughty Mystery, #2)
  • The Piccadilly Plot (Thomas Chaloner, #7)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Murder in the Map Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #17)
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • The Chosen Seed (The Dog-Faced Gods, #3)
  • The Namesake (Commissario Alec Blume #3)
  • The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple, #16)
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...

Wesley Peterson (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • A Painted Doom (Wesley Peterson, #6)
  • The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)
  • The Plague Maiden (Wesley Peterson, #8)
  • A Cursed Inheritance (Wesley Peterson, #9)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)