Start by marking “The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson, #12)

The Blood Pit (Wesley Peterson #12)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A string of grizzly murders and ominous epistles present a perplexing case in this unique blend of history and mystery

At the scene of an unusual crime, DI Wesley Petersen finds the body Charles Marrick, who has been murdered and his body drained of blood. When a popular local vet is murdered in an identical fashion, Wesley wonders what the two men could possibly have in co
Published July 9th 2010 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about The Blood Pit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blood Pit

Lesa

Kate Ellis is probably one of the best mystery authors most people have never heard of. I’ve read almost every book in her Wesley Peterson series; I own the first two books in her Joe Plantagenet series, although I haven’t read them yet, and I own her historical crime novel, The Devil’s Priest. Her recent books are hard to obtain in the U.S., and I’m going to have to get a few more from my local independent bookstore, The Poisoned Pen. But, anyone who enjoys the blend of contemporary mystery, po
Gary Van Cott
3.5 stars. I think this book is one of the better ones I have read in this series so far. The author didn't exactly abandon the rather rigid formula she uses but at least altered it a bit here.
Val Sanford
Ho hum. This book never hits the right note. The personal tugs-of-war and petty complaints between husband and wide, boss and subordinate, would-be lover and the not-interested, play out in expected ways. The characters are on a so-what plane of existence and the murder just doesn't grab like previous books. This book feels forced and rushed. It doesn't tingle and tease and provoke. And it should! Blood letting rituals performed on medieval monks, hemlock-poisoned victims, returned parents and u ...more
Vivienne
Another top-notch instalment in this series of police procedurals set in South Devon. Again the formula of combining present and near past crimes with that of a historical mystery, There were times when I wondered how it would all come together and it did in quite a shocking twist.

I am glad that I have read these in order though Ellis is quite good about keeping plot details of previous books quite vague though always supplying details of the character's stories.
Pamela
A good vacation read. The main characters in the series are an archaeologist and a policeman, who studied to be an archaeologist. I enjoy the back and forth between what the digs reveal and the clues the ploicemen are uncovering. Don't pay too much attention to the mysteries, just get carried along in between walks on the beach or travels through other lands, and you'll be satisfied.
Belle Wong
A bit disappointed with this one. Too many things hidden from the reader and ending wasn't credible given the way a previous scene was written (I even went back to reread the scene to see if my new perspective made a difference - it didn't).

Still like this series though, and have the most recent title from the library so will read that next.
Colin Andrews
I enjoy these good, straight-forward murder mysteries , and The Blood Pit is probably the best one of the series I've read so far. Believable characters and interesting twists in the plot right up to the end. Location of Dartmouth & Torbay, thinly disguised in the books, is one I can relate to.
Angela Verdenius
I felt I knew a little more about Dt Wesley Peterson this time. Good story, again I didn't see the ending coming. What I like about Kate's writing, so far, is that the villain isn't someone you can pick early in the book. Well done, well written, good mystery, and very few swear words!
Puzzle Doctor
Another great book from a great series. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Priscilla Matos
Priscilla Matos marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Eileen Bradford
Eileen Bradford marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Alexis E. Graves
Alexis E. Graves marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Sheena
Sheena added it
Feb 11, 2015
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Jill Foster
Jill Foster marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple, #16)
  • Dying to Sin (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #8)
  • Briefs Encountered
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • The Namesake (Commissario Alec Blume #3)
  • Death by Design (Cetin Ikmen, #12)
  • The Piccadilly Plot (Thomas Chaloner, #7)
  • Death Watch (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #2)
  • Mud, Muck and Dead Things (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #1)
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • The Chosen Seed (The Dog-Faced Gods, #3)
  • Den femte årstiden
  • Eternal (Jan Fabel, #3)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • The House of Dolls (Pieter Vos, #1)
Kate Ellis was born and brought up in Liverpool and she studied drama in Manchester. She worked in teaching, marketing and accountancy before first enjoying writing success as a winner of the North West Playwrights competition. Crime and mystery stories have always fascinated her, as have medieval history and archaeology which she likes to incorporate in her books. She is married with two grown up ...more
More about Kate Ellis...

Wesley Peterson (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1)
  • The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2)
  • An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3)
  • The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • A Painted Doom (Wesley Peterson, #6)
  • The Skeleton Room (Wesley Peterson, #7)
  • The Plague Maiden (Wesley Peterson, #8)
  • A Cursed Inheritance (Wesley Peterson, #9)
  • The Marriage Hearse (Wesley Peterson, #10)
The Merchant's House (Wesley Peterson, #1) The Armada Boy (Wesley Peterson, #2) An Unhallowed Grave (Wesley Peterson, #3) The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5) The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)