Start by marking “With A Little Help From My Friends: The Making Of Sgt. Pepper” as Want to Read:
With A Little Help From My Friends: The Making Of Sgt. Pepper

With A Little Help From My Friends: The Making Of Sgt. Pepper

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  198 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Telling the song-by-song story of one of the greatest albums in rock history, the producer who shaped the Beatles' sound shows how each song developed and provides intimate portraits of the Beatles at their peak. 25,000 first printing.
Hardcover, First Edition (U.S.), 176 pages
Published December 31st 1995 by Little, Brown & Company (first published October 1994)

To ask other readers questions about With A Little Help From My Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With A Little Help From My Friends

Stven
Dec 20, 2011 Stven rated it it was amazing
I'm giving George Martin's reminiscences about the making of this pivotal Beatles album five stars on the grounds that it fulfills and exceeds every possible expectation. The technical stuff about how this marvelously complex music was recorded working with a mere four tracks of tape is handled in an easy conversational style, and there are anecdotes and personalities aplenty as well. Although focused on Sgt. Pepper, there's a lot of looking back and looking forward -- the book was published in ...more
Lucia Caporalini
Apr 22, 2016 Lucia Caporalini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-beatles, kindle
The great George Martin shares the secrets of his experience with the greatest band ever and how they created the record that changed music history. Nothing to add, really. That's greatness to the core. Martin's stories makes you think you know the boys personally, as he did. He shares some interesting stories about the band (for example, the first time Paul took LSD in order to stay with John, who was having a bad trip during the recording of Getting Better), he (constantly) talks about Paul's ...more
Paula
Mar 30, 2016 Paula rated it liked it
I was looking for a biography of George Martin, but could only find this book in my library, so I thought I'd read it instead. It is a song-by-song reconstruction of the making of the Beatles' landmark album, released on June 1, 1967. This book was shelved in the music section, and there were certainly times while reading it that I wished I had more musical knowledge, as Martin writes of chords, semi-tones, double quavers, and something called the twelve bar blues:

"Most readers will already know
Thiago
Feb 05, 2008 Thiago rated it it was amazing
George Martin, o produtor dos Beatles, vai contando faixa a faixa os detalhes da produção de cada música do disquinho (que eu NÃO acho o mais genial da história. E nem dos Beatles.)
Lá você vai ver a trabalheira que era gravar um disco naquela época, apenas com 4 canais, analógicos. Ainda mais com 2 psicopatas cheios de idéias megalomaníacas que nem John e Paul querendo fazer tudo soar diferente.

Depois de ler esse livro, o disco fica muito mais gostoso de ouvir. Na verdade, digo que até música po
Ralphz
Mar 28, 2016 Ralphz rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Beatles producer George Martin walks us through the making of the most iconic album in Rock history, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It was a battle to make the Beatles' vision into a true album, a "theme" album - although that theme was largely lost as the recording went on.

Martin goes through the album track by track, explaining the song, idea and the Beatles themselves in each song.

Well worth it.
Gabriel Luis
Apr 14, 2009 Gabriel Luis rated it it was amazing
Ao contrário da grande maioria dos livros que prometem ser uma biografia dos Beatles, do John Lennon, do cachorro do Ringo Starr ou qualquer coisa, o de George Martin foca num ponto diferente: a música. Contando a vida dos quatro através das gravações do Sgt.Pepper (1967), Martin consegue criar uma imagem de cada um dos integrantes através das suas composições e das suas idéias.
Robert Morrow
Dec 19, 2010 Robert Morrow rated it it was amazing
George Martin is a genius of the recording arts and he writes very well to boot. I appreciated very much his regret that he released Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane prior to Sgt. Pepper and his concern about the edit combining two disparate versions of Strawberry Fields, as his vulnerability gave the rest of the story much more credibility.
Angela
Apr 13, 2010 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The topic was certaintly interesting but I didn't really gain any new knowledge about Sgt. Pepper from reading this book. Some random musical theory seemed to be added in (including sheet music). I did enjoy reading a book from George Martin's perspective, though. Any real Beatle's fan would enjoy.
Ryan Pryor
Jun 12, 2008 Ryan Pryor rated it it was amazing
you love the Beatles?
read this one!
George Martin, there primary composer, arranger, producer (the legendary 5th Beatle) explains how the songs of Sgt. Pepper's came to be the songs they are. Recording techniques and fun vingettes about the boys...
Kate
Oct 23, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A delightful and engaging memoir of a classic album. Martin's anecdotes and technical details gave me a whole new appreciation for the times, the band, and the album.
Thom
Feb 20, 2012 Thom rated it really liked it
This was pure pleasure to read. When I was down with a flu, it was the only thing I was up to reading. Great anecdotes from a gentleman and pro who was there.
Chris
Jul 04, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Inside anecdotes about the Beatles. George Martin tells various stories about the band, not all of them are about the Sgt. Pepper's album.
Thomas Becker
Mar 30, 2013 Thomas Becker rated it it was amazing
It's one of those books you're better off having read it. Immensely interesting look at the making of the classic albumn.
Rachel
Sep 22, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great behind-the-scenes Beatles book from their producer, George Martin.
Jademex
Aug 16, 2014 Jademex rated it it was amazing
??
Tim Jhonson
Tim Jhonson rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Truls Krane
Truls Krane marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Patty
Patty rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Edec
Edec marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Iwan
Iwan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Amanda Reimers
Amanda Reimers marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
GTB
GTB marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Donna Berg
Donna Berg rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Tony Collins
Tony Collins rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
chausman
chausman marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Isaiah Knoot
Isaiah Knoot marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • The Longest Cocktail Party
  • Imagine: John Lennon
  • A Cellarful of Noise (Rhino Rediscovery)
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • The Beatles
  • Many Years from Now
  • All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

“We stood there for a minute or two, with John swaying gently against my arm. 'I'm feeling better,' he announced. Then he looked up at the stars. 'Wow..' he intoned. 'Look at that! Isn't that amazing?".
I followed his gaze. The stars did look good but they didn't look that good. It was very unlike John to be over the top in that way. I stared at him. He was wired-pin-sharp and quivering, resonating away like a human tuning fork.
No sooner had John uttered his immortal words about the stars than George and Paul came bursting out on the roof. They had come tearing up from the studio as soon as they found out where we were.
They knew why John was feeling unwell. Maybe everyone else did, too - everyone except for father-figure George Martin here!
It was very simple. John was tripping on LSD. He had taken it by mistake, they said - he had meant to take an amphetamine tablet. That hardly made any difference, frankly; the fact was that John was only too likely to imagine he could fly, and launch himself off the low parapet that ran around the roof. They had been absolutely terrified that he might do so.
I spoke to Paul about this night many years later, and he confirmed that he and George had been shaken rigid when they found out we were up on the roof. They knew John was having a what you might call a bad trip. John didn't go back to Weybridge that night; Paul took him home to his place, in nearby Cavendish Road. They were intensely close, remember, and Paul would do almost anything for John. So, once they were safe inside, Paul took a tablet of LSD for the first time, 'So I could get with John' as he put it- be with him in his misery and fear.

What about that for friendship?”
38 likes