Start by marking “The Portable Virgin” as Want to Read:
The Portable Virgin

The Portable Virgin

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The characters in this fierce and witty first collection of stories stand at an oblique angle to society. Full of desire, but out of kilter, their response to a dislocated reality is mutinous, wild, unforgettable.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1995 by Reed International Books (first published January 9th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Portable Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portable Virgin

Hazel Katherine
Mar 17, 2015 Hazel Katherine rated it it was ok
I feel I should be whispering, but I really didn't think this collection was great. In fact, the only story I loved was the first one. It lulled me into a false sense of security - I settled in to the book, convinced I was in for a rare treat and...tasted the bitterness of disappointment with the next story. I kept going, kept reading and kept hoping.

Now look, I'm cringing writing this. It feels a bit like dissing Homer. I feel I should rush in there and tell you all how much I *love* Anne Enri
Neelakshi Chakraborty
Jun 06, 2013 Neelakshi Chakraborty rated it it was ok
The new voice in Irish fiction,Anne Enright, is definitely original and striking. 'A Portable Virgin' consists of short stories, each story elegantly crafted, each with a slightly absurdest soul of its own. However, if only that was all it took to write great fiction!

Here is one excerpt from the book which best explains Anne Enright's craft :

"I started off with mackarel pete, mackarel being a scavenger fish, and good for the heart.I followed with veal osso bucco, for reaons I need not elaborate
Paul Taylor
Sep 29, 2014 Paul Taylor rated it it was ok
Angela Carter's quote on the cover describes the stories as original; not wishing to contradict so eminent a critic I would use the adjectives surreal and impenetrable. The catholic angst that characterises Enright's work is much in evidence but I put the book down with the sense that I must have missed something.
Lari
Dec 20, 2014 Lari rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lari by: Sara
I didn't know what to expect from it, other than it was meant to be good. And it was. The stories are adorable and quirky and I enjoyed Anne's writing style and humour very much. An enjoyable, light read. I read it all in one day, it was a really good day :)
Preema Priyambada
Sep 21, 2013 Preema Priyambada rated it really liked it
Not a single sentence go waste and each of them sting. It was a short story collection and pleasantly shocking. As if you get something more out of every successive reading.

At some point we stop looking for a definite answer, and in those stories we feel she has at least acknowledged them,the themes aren't simple, they are those nameless things which bother you behind your head(ok, if not everyone's heads, us misfits) and you cannot name them.

sisterimapoet
I'm not really a fan of short stories - but I still try them from time to time to see if I can change my mind. This collection was ok - not the best but not the worst I have read. Enright has an unusual eye and a lively imagination - I'm keen to try another of her novels.
Erica
Mar 09, 2013 Erica rated it liked it
Engaging writing style and personal voice but the author has a spaghetti brain. Most of the stories are a mess - had literally no idea what was going on sometimes - so you have got to filter hard for the gems...but when you get there, it's worth it:)
courtney
Mar 20, 2007 courtney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of tight stories
i read "the house of the architect's love story" in college and was astounded at the power of words to make you root for and hate a character. enright has an odd, somewhat uneven body of work, but i love her. and this collection especially.
Mark
Jun 06, 2009 Mark rated it liked it
I love Anne Enright and think she is one of the best authors alive, however, I am not sure this book is worth the effort. Most of the best stories are collected in her latest book, Yesterday's Weather.
Crystal
Sep 30, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love beautiful honest writing.
Shelves: important
Anne Enright's writing style washes over the reader with honest meaning and poignant moments of clarity that define parts of us we haven't known how to articulate.
Paultaylor
Aug 30, 2012 Paultaylor rated it liked it
An eclectic mixture. Some impenetrable some wry but all with their own momentum. If you don't understand the Irish condition you won't get the most out of it.
Kathy
Mar 24, 2011 Kathy rated it did not like it
Shelves:
Interested in other works by this author
Enjoyed the Gathering. Could not get into thos one
Brooks
Aug 22, 2011 Brooks rated it did not like it
Just didn't get these. Dis-jointed, weird, no story. No idea what most were about?
James M
May 10, 2016 James M rated it liked it
A modern Irish short story masters collection.
Jacqueline Worboys
Jan 08, 2013 Jacqueline Worboys rated it did not like it
Certainly is original.
Sigridur Maria
Jan 28, 2011 Sigridur Maria rated it it was ok
Aðeins of hástemmd.
Will Peverley
Will Peverley rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Sónia
Sónia added it
Jul 25, 2016
Agera
Agera rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Nadya Konstas
Nadya Konstas marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Pascale
Pascale marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Benjamin M.
Benjamin M. rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Barbara Holte
Barbara Holte marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
  • Pinkerton's Sister
  • The Kingdom by the Sea
  • Tolkien: A Dictionary
  • Down by the River
Anne Enright was born in Dublin, where she now lives and works. She has published three volumes of stories, one book of nonfiction, and five novels. In 2015, she was named the inaugural Laureate for Irish Fiction. Her novel The Gathering won the Man Booker Prize, and her last novel, The Forgotten Waltz, won the Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction.
More about Anne Enright...

“Of course I am bland, she thought. You too would be bland if you grew up with one gas pump in front of the house and nothing else except a view that stretched over half the world. Landscape made me bland, bears poking in the garbage can stunted my individuality, as did plagues of horseflies, permafrost, wild-fire, and the sun setting like a bomb. So much sky makes one bewildered - which is the proper way to be.” 1 likes