Start by marking “Ride The Dark Trail” as Want to Read:
Ride The Dark Trail

Ride The Dark Trail (The Sacketts #16)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,385 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Louis L'Amour Collection
Leather Bound, The Louis L'Amour Collection, 149 pages
Published July 1983 by Bantam Books, Inc. (first published June 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Ride The Dark Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ride The Dark Trail

Reving
Feb 24, 2014 Reving rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am probably more surprised than anyone that I have fallen in love with westerns. First it was Virgil and Everett and now it is Logan Sackett. I mean aren't westerns supposed to be for old dudes? But now that I think about it...what ISN'T a girl to love about rugged, honorable, hot men? I mean...why do old dudes like westerns? I think In the case of Virgil, Everett and Logan, well, I can't think of any girl who wouldn't fall in love with these guys! I met Logan Sackett in my first Louis L'Amour ...more
Daren Doucet
Mar 26, 2014 Daren Doucet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What a real western. Logan Sackett goes far beyond measure to make sure Em Talons homestead ranch does not get into bad hands...

Jack Flanner tries to force the old woman to give up the ranch and its fertile ranching grounds, and it appears as much he will succeed.. Until Logan Sackett alone, seemingly turns the tide of fortune to one where the ranch maybe saved... Just maybe.

A great tale of the great West American Frontier, full of the best and the worst of what the old west had to offer.

N
Rose Gowen
Loving it. The plot turns are awfully convenient, but I love the language, and then there's useful stuff like this:

"I'd backed up against that grove on purpose. Looked at from down below no smoke would show against the white of the tree trunks and the gray-green of the leaves...

There's no prettier place than a stand of aspen. The elk and beaver like the bitter inner bark, and you'll nearly always find them where there's aspen. There's no thing that provides more grub for wildlife than the aspen
Jeff Dickison
Aug 16, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good entry in the Sackett's series as Logan Sackett comes to help Em Talon (a Sackett by birth) keep her ranch out of the hands of a land grabber. Her sons, Milo & Barnabas, are also on hand, but this is Logan Sackett's tale. Recommended to all western and L'Amour fans.
Ed
May 01, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, action, western
#16 in the Sackett series chronologically (#10 in publication order). Logan Sackett is featured in this 1972 series entry; his twin brother Nolan was featured in #13 Mustang Man (1966). Both had cameos (with the rest of the Sacketts) in #10 The Sackett Brand (1965). In this entry, Logan is wandering when he comes upon a lone widow besieged by a land grabber and his men. She turns out to be Em Talon née Sackett. Her sons Barnabas and Milo have been advised that by the land grabber that she is dec ...more
Jessica
I'm pretty sure I've read all of Louis L'Amour's books. I was raised reading them. I know by certain standards they lack depth of plot and character, but I don't care about any of that.

I love these books.

Reading Louis L'Amour is like eating a really awesome peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You know exactly what you're going to get, and you love it. You might not always be in the mood for it, but you can always go back to it and know it will be good. In his books there's always a gritty and som
Aaron Toponce
Feb 23, 2016 Aaron Toponce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey, this was actually a good story. What I really liked about it was how it started. An old lady is kept in an old house, on prime real estate that the Bad Guys want. As the Bad Guys try to approach the gate, 300 yards from the front door, the old crone shoots 'em dead. Doesn't matter the day nor the time of the day. They can't figure out her schedule. Does she sleep? Surely can that find out. And who is the old lady anyway?

Emily Talon, formerly Sackett, aunt to Logan Sackett.

What Louis L'Amour
Angie Lisle
Dec 01, 2015 Angie Lisle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, in the same way that I loved Ride the River. Emily Talon née Sackett is one fierce old widowed lady, probably a darlin' Corey in the days of her youth (...she had a 44 strapped around her body and a banjo on her knee...).

After Em's husband dies, a bunch of lazy cowhands think they will just come in and take what Em has because her menfolk are gone. Until a long-lost cousin - Logan Sackett, twin brother of Nolan Sackett and possibly the most trigger-happy Sackett of them all -
Peter Charleston
May 04, 2013 Peter Charleston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, home
Always enjoy reading the works of Louis L'Amour. He tells nice tales of western adventures, allowing myself an welcome fictional journey into the old west. This book from the Sackett series brings Logan Sackett along the trail to meet Emily Talon (a Sackett prior to her marriage) who is in deep trouble. Needless to say he stays to help.
Christy
Apr 13, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nobody does the West like Louis L’Amour! The scenery, the ranchin,’ the ridin’ the shootin’ . . . Yeah, I know the real wild West wasn’t that wild, but the stories are way more exciting with plenty of villains and plenty of shootings and fistfights. The hero, Logan Sackett, comes from the notorious Sackett clan. He’s big, he’s tough, and he’s mean, but he surely does stick up for women in trouble. He also seems to speak two different languages. Mostly he’s a rough and ready cowpoke saying things ...more
Kayla
Good book. I skimmed through the last few pages because I was tired of reading all the details and narration and wanted to get the the final shootout. But I liked the characters and the plot.
Mike Grady
Mar 04, 2013 Mike Grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-year
Another good, solid addition to the Sackett series by Louis L'Amour. A quick read with a satisfying ending.

REcommended for Western fans.
Darla
Aug 29, 2012 Darla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jordan and I started reading this together while visiting Hatch a couple of weekends ago. For some reason, Louis L'Amour just fits the bill when you are hanging out in Southern Utah.

(Genre:Fiction/western) Finished it up by reading it with my husband (who was a huge L'Amour fan when he was young). Entertaining read that kept my attention throughout. Classic western story--Drifter Logan Sackett comes to town and finds a distant relative in serious trouble. Emily Sackett Talon is an older widow wh
Steven Brandt (Audiobook-Heaven)
Fans of Louis L’Amour’s Sackett books know that quite a few of the books focus on three brothers, Tell, Orrin, and Tyrel. There are also a good number of books in the series that focus on other Sacketts; cousins to the three brothers or other such relations. Ride the Dark Trail keys in on Logan Sackett of the Clinch Mountain Sacketts.

All Sacketts are tough, but the Clinch Mountain Sacketts are especially known to be hard men who skirt the edges of the law. In spite of his reputation, Logan Sac
SouthernAngel
May 15, 2014 SouthernAngel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not be my absolute favorite of the Sackett's but it sure is up there. This story is not one where the hero gets the girl at the end. But he sure as hell sticks up for his family name, even though he didn't know what he was getting into and at times wanted to bale but refused to. Logan Sackett is one tough man to kill, that's for sure. No one has pulled it off yet. I love Milo Talon too, Pennywell not so much. But yet again another great read that will be read over and over again.
Scott
May 21, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical Louis L'Amour story. Lots of action. A brave hero who goes to great length to save the 'fair maiden'. The story contains a big fist fight and lots of gun battles. Logan Sackett, the main character, is like all the other main characters in Louis L'Amour books. Brave, strong and can defeat the bad cowboys even when outnumbered 8 to 1. This is a fun book to read.
C-shaw
Dec 03, 2014 C-shaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Louis L'Amour book, loaned to me by Butch Green. I like it very much so far.
* * * * *
Better than the few westerns I've read by Zane Grey, Larry McMurtry, Tony Hillerman, and William Johnstone, this book seemed authentic. The characters, situations, and dialogue were more like I imagined the Old West was really like, and the book had a good ending.
Beth
Aug 16, 2014 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books like this, you know what you're getting. It's a story of an old woman holding on to her home after her husband is killed. Logan Sackett happens into the neighborhood and gets involved. Gun fights commence, the bad guys are defeated. Simple.
Amber
Jun 06, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found out via Wikipedia that I had been missing out on a TON of Sackett books by Louis L'amour all this time! So I wrote down a list of the titles I did not already own and took off to my favourite book store run by this old guy in a fedora who is so awesome. He saw my list, saw me pawing through the one shelf he had of Louis L'amour westerns, and then asked if I wanted to see the rest of them in the basement. I have never seen so many Louis L'amour books in one place in all my life and I foun ...more
kate
Aug 20, 2016 kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
What can I say? I'm a Louis L'amour fan. I can't quite put me finger on it but I particularly like his use of language in this one. Something about the accents or phrasing. Anyway entertaining read.
Mandy
Aug 07, 2015 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic story telling. I love Em Talon and all the Sackett family.
Amy "the book-bat"
I enjoyed this one more than i thought I would. I generally prefer westerns on film, but I did like this book. I had the paperback as well as the audio. Terence Man is a fantastic reader for the audio. I loved the character of Em (Sackett) Talon, she was such a feisty old lady. I wouldn't want to mess with her. Logan Sackett was a pretty good character as well. I loved the way Louis L'Amour described the land. It sounds absolutely beautiful. I might consider reading more by this author.
Scott
Feb 04, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was a teen, and I still love it.
Natasha Russell
Jul 05, 2014 Natasha Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. This genre is new to me, and I will read more of his work.
Chris
Feb 18, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It made me want to read the Talon books now.
Angela
Sep 02, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best author known to man
Carolyn
Jun 13, 2016 Carolyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-book-bingo
2016 Book Bingo: A western
Martha
Apr 07, 2016 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just liked it that much.
Kudzai
Jan 10, 2016 Kudzai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short read..
  • The Last Trail
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • Hombre
  • The Shootist
  • Nebraska! (Wagons West, #2)
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sackett Brand

“There is no man more dangerous than one who does not doubt his own rightness.” 2 likes
“There are folks who can't abide camp-robber jays, but I take to them. Often enough they've been my only company for days at a time, and they surely do get friendly. They'll steal your grub right from under your nose, but who I am to criticize the lifestyle of a bird? He has his ways, I have mine. Like I say, I take to them.” 1 likes