Start by marking “Dogteam” as Want to Read:
Dogteam

Dogteam

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On a moonlit winter night, a team of dogs pulls a sled, taking the narrator and readers on a wondrous ride through the snow, into and out of the woods. It is a ride you'll wish would never end.

Through this exquisite prose poem, Gary Paulsen shares the joy, the beauty, and the grandeur of the outdoors. With his joyous text and Ruth Wright Paulsen's exuberant and expressive
Published September 1st 1993 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dogteam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogteam

Ally Copper
Gary Paulsen brings us the sounds, colors, coldness, and exhilaration of a nighttime run with sled dogs in the picture book “Dogteam.” Paulsen almost exclusively uses sentence fragments in this work, and the text comes across almost like poetry as it emphasizes the dogs’ instincts to just run. The dogs are single-minded, seeking only the thrill of the run, so the text provided focuses on the action at hand and doesn’t get bogged down in subject-verb-object rules and requirements. Readers can alm ...more
Dolly
Feb 27, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2013, childrens, other-usa
This is a beautiful tribute to the sled dogs competing in the Iditarod race in Alaska. The narrative is lyrical and despite its brevity, conveys the drama, excitement and thrill of the race. The illustrations are colorful and show the Alaskan wilderness in all of its grandeur. It would certainly be a great way to introduce children to the history and excitement of this famous race.

I discovered this one while shopping for souvenirs during my short stay in Anchorage.
Chloe Dryke
This was one of my all-time favorite books as a child because I grew up having sled dogs, but you don't have to be a musher to enjoy this picture book. This book shows a team racing through the night, only to race home to the comfort of familiar lights. I would read this book in the winter, and have students make a list of other fun winter activities they can do, and write about a time they spent outside in the snow.
Canadian Reader
A poetic picture book about a boy's winter-night ride with his dog team through woods, across a frozen lake, and in the company of wolves, only to end up home again, with the dogs barking, seemingly asking if he had wanted it to last forever. The book is more powerful when read aloud. Worth pairing with Owl Moon by Jane Yolen.
Thomas
From the high-starred reviews I guess I'm in the minority with this one. It felt like some Alaskan poets thought to write a children's book that aren't parents themselves or a poem already existed about dog racing in the arctic that someone else thought would make for a good kid's book.

My kids were not fans.
Sheila
I liked the way he drew you into the story, so you get a sense of what it must feel like to be there running the dogs yourself. If I was at all drawn to the lifestyle of racing dogs in the cold and the snow, I would have rated it higher.
Jen
I shared this book with my students who were working on an Iditarod unit with me. They are fascinated with dogsled teams, so hearing Paulsen's poem and seeing the great illustrations brought this run alive to them.
Melanie Swider
Good example of using the craft of purposeful repetition in your writing. Different repetition patterns to share with students in this text.
T
I loved the pacing of this one. The poetic narrative pulls the reader into the panting of the dogs and the whoosh of the runners in the snow.
Bree
Notes:
beautifully illustrated
written in a lyrical/poetic style
Megan
Lyrical description of a nighttime dog sled run.
Betsy
A fun read about sled dogs....
Andrea
using prior knowledge
Bookworm15
Bookworm15 marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Mnjie.gcugmail.com
Mnjie.gcugmail.com marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Ivi
Ivi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Sep 15, 2014
Riana
Riana added it
Aug 09, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Carolyn Morrow
Carolyn Morrow marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...
Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) Brian's Winter (Brian's Saga, #3) The River (Brian's Saga, #2) Brian's Return (Brian's Saga, #4) Brian's Hunt (Brian's Saga, #5)