Start by marking “Dogteam” as Want to Read:
Dogteam

Dogteam

On a moonlit winter night, a team of dogs pulls a sled, taking the narrator and readers on a wondrous ride through the snow, into and out of the woods. It is a ride you'll wish would never end.

Through this exquisite prose poem, Gary Paulsen shares the joy, the beauty, and the grandeur of the outdoors. With his joyous text and Ruth Wright Paulsen's exuberant and expressive
Published September 1st 1993 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dogteam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogteam

Josiah
Jan 08, 2017 Josiah rated it did not like it
Would Gary Paulsen's career be complete without a picture book about dogsledding? I think not, and in 1993 he filled that gap with the publication of Dogteam, a poetic rendering of a night spent by a man crisscrossing the Minnesota wilds behind a team of strong, hearty dogs he trusts to lead him safely through the unforgiving cold of northern winter. Dogteam attempts to capture the feeling of whooshing through unblemished snow at top speed on a sled pulled by dogs who are never happier than whe ...more
Ally Copper
Gary Paulsen brings us the sounds, colors, coldness, and exhilaration of a nighttime run with sled dogs in the picture book “Dogteam.” Paulsen almost exclusively uses sentence fragments in this work, and the text comes across almost like poetry as it emphasizes the dogs’ instincts to just run. The dogs are single-minded, seeking only the thrill of the run, so the text provided focuses on the action at hand and doesn’t get bogged down in subject-verb-object rules and requirements. Readers can alm ...more
Joan
Mar 30, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poem about running a dogsled team on a winter night. written by Minnesota Author Gary Paulsen and illustrated by his wife.

Very simple text and vocabulary.
I did not find it useful or explanatory of dogsledding

Could be integrated into the classroom in the following ways:
Would be useful as an exemplar of an illustrated poem.
Part of a Gary Paulsen unit.
Part of a Minnesota culture or author exploration unit.
Inference: How does the author feel about this activity?
Discussion of styles of illustration.
H
Chloe Dryke
Sep 15, 2014 Chloe Dryke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was one of my all-time favorite books as a child because I grew up having sled dogs, but you don't have to be a musher to enjoy this picture book. This book shows a team racing through the night, only to race home to the comfort of familiar lights. I would read this book in the winter, and have students make a list of other fun winter activities they can do, and write about a time they spent outside in the snow.
Dolly
Feb 22, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, other-usa, 2013
This is a beautiful tribute to the sled dogs competing in the Iditarod race in Alaska. The narrative is lyrical and despite its brevity, conveys the drama, excitement and thrill of the race. The illustrations are colorful and show the Alaskan wilderness in all of its grandeur. It would certainly be a great way to introduce children to the history and excitement of this famous race.

I discovered this one while shopping for souvenirs during my short stay in Anchorage.
Canadian Reader
Jan 01, 2013 Canadian Reader rated it liked it
A poetic picture book about a boy's winter-night ride with his dog team through woods, across a frozen lake, and in the company of wolves, only to end up home again, with the dogs barking, seemingly asking if he had wanted it to last forever. The book is more powerful when read aloud. Worth pairing with Owl Moon by Jane Yolen.
Peacegal
Aug 05, 2016 Peacegal rated it liked it
Young readers experience the thrill of a "night run" with sled dogs. While I wasn't a big fan of the writing style, I know I would have liked this book as a kid, because I really loved the sled dog breeds.

You really get a sense of how the dogs have been bred to have a great drive to run and pull, and love and anticipate their work. Yes, breed behavioral traits are a real thing!
Thomas
Dec 09, 2013 Thomas rated it it was ok
From the high-starred reviews I guess I'm in the minority with this one. It felt like some Alaskan poets thought to write a children's book that aren't parents themselves or a poem already existed about dog racing in the arctic that someone else thought would make for a good kid's book.

My kids were not fans.
Jen
Mar 23, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
I shared this book with my students who were working on an Iditarod unit with me. They are fascinated with dogsled teams, so hearing Paulsen's poem and seeing the great illustrations brought this run alive to them.
Sheila
Apr 28, 2009 Sheila rated it liked it
I liked the way he drew you into the story, so you get a sense of what it must feel like to be there running the dogs yourself. If I was at all drawn to the lifestyle of racing dogs in the cold and the snow, I would have rated it higher.
The Brothers
Jan 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was ok
Shelves: alaska, dogs, sleds
This book tries so very hard to be lyrical and poetic. And it is. I guess. But when reading aloud it leads to a lot of verbal stumbling and back-tracking to make sure what you read was correct.

The illustrations are good though.
Megan
Dec 01, 2010 Megan rated it liked it
Lyrical description of a nighttime dog sled run.
Melanie Swider
Good example of using the craft of purposeful repetition in your writing. Different repetition patterns to share with students in this text.
Terri
Jun 01, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I loved the pacing of this one. The poetic narrative pulls the reader into the panting of the dogs and the whoosh of the runners in the snow.
Andrea Wilkinson
Mar 25, 2015 Andrea Wilkinson rated it really liked it
Poetic, descriptive children's book about running with the dogs at night written by Gary Paulsen, who has run the Iditarod twice. Beautiful illustrations by Gary's wife, Ruth Wright Paulsen.
Andrea
May 21, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
using prior knowledge
Brent Spence
Brent Spence rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Laurel Thomas
Laurel Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2016
Peggyemery
Peggyemery rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2017
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Rhett
Rhett rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
David McEnulty
David McEnulty rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Beth Danielsen
Beth Danielsen rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2008
Jordyn Shampine
Jordyn Shampine rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Mary Roush
Mary Roush rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...