One Day in the Desert

One Day in the Desert (One Day in the...)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
‘A wounded mountain lion moves from his mountain habitat to a Papago Indian hut in Arizona’s Sonoran desert during a record-breaking July day. All creation adapts to the blistering heat until a cloudburst causes a flash flood. With a measured yet vivid style, this introduction to desert ecology makes a memorable impact." —SLJ.
Published April 12th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1983)

I loved reading books about nature and wild animals when I was little, so when I saw this book and it's companion One Day in the Prairie I was excited. The books really were interesting, this one had one evolutionary reference, but other than that, it was fine.
Courtney
I don't know how I would recommend this books to students. A short chapter book in a narrative style that manages to capture many scientific details. I want to tell stories like this...but the ending was rather abrupt. Still, I plan to read others in the "One Day" series, eventually.
Angela
An excellent book for young children interested in nature, It was short (46 pages) and well-written with some illustrations. My son had some reading fatigue this summer so it was a nice way to re-engage him with a short, quality book.
Julie
Feb 11, 2010 Julie marked it as to-read
Recommended to Julie by: Carol Hurst
Shelves: 3, 4, 5, 6, desert-theme
We spend a hot July day in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona observing the mechanisms plants and animals use to stay cool and following a wounded mountain lion who must get to water to survive.
Mas5thgrade2014
this was a good book it had a story made up of facts if you ever heard the more you read the more facts or the smarter you get well i just learned a lot so its true
-thediamondback
Jo
Sep 09, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, youth
This is one of a fantastic series of differnt geo. areas. They are loaded with voc. and real animal/ enviroment behavior.
M Close
M Close marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mrsjuls
Mrsjuls marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Kushal Mishra
Kushal Mishra marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Ricky Rodriguez
Ricky Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Michael Munoz
Michael Munoz marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Brandon Montanez
Brandon Montanez marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Nov 12, 2013
Brianna
Brianna marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Deniah Neal
Deniah Neal marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Mamalovesmambo
Mamalovesmambo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey...more
More about Jean Craighead George...
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2) Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)