Start by marking “One Day in the Desert” as Want to Read:
One Day in the Desert

One Day in the Desert (One Day in the...)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
‘A wounded mountain lion moves from his mountain habitat to a Papago Indian hut in Arizona’s Sonoran desert during a record-breaking July day. All creation adapts to the blistering heat until a cloudburst causes a flash flood. With a measured yet vivid style, this introduction to desert ecology makes a memorable impact." —SLJ.
Published April 12th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about One Day in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day in the Desert

Teresa
I rated this 3 stars, but that would be as a read aloud and study starter. To just read for fun would be more like a 2 - 2.5
Lynn
Oct 13, 2014 Lynn added it
Shelves: kid-books
Can't remember whether I read the prairie one too. Probably not. I remember this one and the rain forest one the most vividly.
I loved reading books about nature and wild animals when I was little, so when I saw this book and it's companion One Day in the Prairie I was excited. The books really were interesting, this one had one evolutionary reference, but other than that, it was fine.
Courtney
I don't know how I would recommend this books to students. A short chapter book in a narrative style that manages to capture many scientific details. I want to tell stories like this...but the ending was rather abrupt. Still, I plan to read others in the "One Day" series, eventually.
Angela
An excellent book for young children interested in nature, It was short (46 pages) and well-written with some illustrations. My son had some reading fatigue this summer so it was a nice way to re-engage him with a short, quality book.
Julie
Feb 11, 2010 Julie marked it as to-read
Recommended to Julie by: Carol Hurst
Shelves: 3, 4, 5, 6, desert-theme
We spend a hot July day in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona observing the mechanisms plants and animals use to stay cool and following a wounded mountain lion who must get to water to survive.
Mas5thgrade2014
this was a good book it had a story made up of facts if you ever heard the more you read the more facts or the smarter you get well i just learned a lot so its true
-thediamondback
Jo
Sep 09, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: fiction, youth
This is one of a fantastic series of differnt geo. areas. They are loaded with voc. and real animal/ enviroment behavior.
Rachel Beauchamp
Rachel Beauchamp marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jennifer Martinez
Jennifer Martinez marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Nov 17, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Veenitha
Veenitha marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
M Close
M Close marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Mrsjuls
Mrsjuls marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Kushal Mishra
Kushal Mishra marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Ricky Rodriguez
Ricky Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Michael Munoz
Michael Munoz marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey ...more
More about Jean Craighead George...

One Day in the... (5 books)
  • One Day in the Alpine Tundra
  • One Day in the Prairie
  • One Day in the Woods
  • One Day in the Tropical Rain Forest
My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1) Julie of the Wolves (Julie of the Wolves, #1) On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2) Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3) Julie (Julie of the Wolves, #2)