Start by marking “From First Draft to Finished Novel: A Writer's Guide to Cohesive Story Building” as Want to Read:
From First Draft to Finished Novel: A Writer's Guide to Cohesive Story Building

From First Draft to Finished Novel: A Writer's Guide to Cohesive Story Building

Karen Wiesner focuses on how to turn an idea, outline, or early draft into a rich, textured story by layering different elements to create a cohesive, seamless novel.
Published September 19th 2008 by Writer's Digest Books (first published September 2008)

To ask other readers questions about From First Draft to Finished Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From First Draft to Finished Novel

Gwnhwyfer
I originally purchased this book first, and almost immediately ordered the one before it (First Draft in 30 Days), before I read either one - I'm glad I did. (They've been sitting on my shelf gathering dust for over a year and a half - if not two - now...shh ;)

My first impressions of First Draft in 30 Days were more positive than my first impressions of From First Draft to Finished Novel. I found this book more...clunkier; it didn't flow as well (though I thought the metaphor concerning house bu
Rebecca Rivera
Oct 28, 2015 Rebecca Rivera rated it it was ok
I was thrown off by the detail in this book. I think of myself as a detail loving person, but I got so wrapped up in the detail of planning a story according to this book that I forgot about creating the story. I will say if you feel lost among all the notes you have on a book you're writing, this book will give you a good idea how to organize them. That's what I ended up doing, and after I was organized I realized that I didn't need half the notes I had created. So that's how this book helped m ...more
Michael
May 29, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
A good read for beginning or aspiring novelists. Wiesner's book provides you with the tools, exercises, and story checklists to write a cohesive story. I like the way she likens this process to building a house: just as architects and builders go through a lot of planning before laying the first stone, the most effective writers do intricate planning in order to create a multi-layered cohesive story.

Readers Roundtable
Jul 12, 2011 Readers Roundtable rated it liked it
3.5 Gold Crowns. Overall From First Draft to Finished Novel by Karen Wiesner is a very helpful tool for a writer to have on their bookshelf or their e-reader. To view this review in its entirety, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/nonfi...
Greg
Aug 21, 2012 Greg rated it did not like it
I expected info more info on the later stages; since, it appears to be a series and another book seemed to handle the early stages of the writing process. Maybe I wouldn't grade it, so harshly if it dealt more with what I expected.
Mark Victor Young
Mar 25, 2010 Mark Victor Young rated it it was ok
Couldn't get through even half of this book, but I printed some of the forms and checklists from the website, which I'm hoping will come in handy for my next novel.
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Shelina
Shelina rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Cary Kaulfuss
Cary Kaulfuss rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Steve Ward
Steve Ward rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Ryan Macayden
Ryan Macayden rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2012
J.M.J. Williamson
J.M.J. Williamson rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2014
leslie.lunsford
leslie.lunsford rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
Onirica
Onirica rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Diane Warner
Diane Warner rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Barbara Davis
Barbara Davis rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Maria Badillo
Maria Badillo rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2011
Leah Good
Leah Good rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Cheryl Kottke
Cheryl Kottke rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Mai
Mai rated it did not like it
Nov 15, 2015
Nadia
Nadia rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2009
Richard Jr.
Richard Jr. rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Jayme
Jayme rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2009
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Summer Matthias Herondale
Summer Matthias Herondale rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2016
Martha
Martha rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2015
Caroline Gerardo
Good for romance writing - not my genre.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Plots, Characters and Complications
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View
  • The Novel Writer's Toolkit: A Guide To Writing Novels And Getting Published
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
Creating realistic, unforgettable characters one story at a time…

Karen Wiesner is an accomplished author with 118 titles published in the past 19 years, which have been nominated/won 134 awards, and has 39 more releases contracted for spanning many genres and formats. For more information about Karen’s fiction and series, consult her official companion guide, The World of Author Karen Wiesner: A C
More about Karen Wiesner...