Start by marking “Begging for Change: The Dollars and Sense of Making Nonprofits Responsive, Efficient, and Rewarding for All” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
You are a good person. You are one of the 84 million Americans who volunteer with a charity. You are part of a national donor pool that contributes nearly $200 billion to good causes every year. But you wonder: Why don't your efforts seem to make a difference?

Fifteen years ago, Robert Egger asked himself this same question as he reluctantly climbed aboard a food service tr
Published February 17th 2004 by HarperBusiness (first published February 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Begging for Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Begging for Change

Nikita T. Mitchell
May 14, 2011 Nikita T. Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: change-the-world
A great read, especially for someone new to the sector.

Saved quotes:

"The leaders of the organization were shielded from criticism because, like other nonprofit organizations, they could behind a noble mission. It's as if questioning the soundness of their planning is in effect questioning their integrity, their purpose, and the need of their constituents." (50)

"Experts in social policy call this the "law of unintended consequences." I call it "good intentions gone bad." Just because you're doin
Jaya
Jul 19, 2015 Jaya rated it it was ok
Robert Egger is a nonprofit entrepreneur, who thinks big and isn’t afraid to try out new ideas. He founded DC’s Central Kitchen, a hunger-fighting initiative that not only feeds the homeless with donated food, but provides job training and life coaching to its clients, who graduate into kitchens all over the area and gain a steady paycheck.

His qualifications are stellar, and his advice for nonprofits isn’t bad. Run your org like, well, a business. Serve your cause first and foremost – don’t be a
Diana Nagy
Apr 07, 2016 Diana Nagy rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Are you are a non-profit organization? Do you have a great interest in volunteering for your community or donating cash or other items to charities dear to your heart? Regardless of your interest in non-profit organizations, I think you will find this book about The Kitchen, a non-profit organization, very beneficial. Not only does the author talk about his own charity but he talks about the salary of other non-profits and what they are or should be making. This book details all the things that ...more
Ami Neiberger-Miller
Mar 19, 2014 Ami Neiberger-Miller rated it really liked it
I heard Robert Eggers speak a couple of years ago at a nonprofit event and loved his dynamic perspective on the nonprofit sector and call to re-think how we do business. Eggers founded D.C. Central Kitchen and rebuilt the national capital chapter of the United Way following a major scandal.

In Begging for Change: The Dollars and Sense of Making Nonprofits Responsive, Efficient, and Rewarding for All, Eggers asks nonprofit workers to consider how we can collaborate to tackle the problems facing ou
Andy Richardson
Mar 11, 2015 Andy Richardson rated it liked it
Somewhat dated, but it still contains some good ideas that many nonprofit leaders may find useful. Not particularly well-written, though.
Jeff Sloan
Aug 17, 2010 Jeff Sloan rated it really liked it
Desiree
Nov 03, 2008 Desiree rated it really liked it
Robert Egger is like the Gordan Ramsay of the non-profit world (a little bit ironic, since he is director of the DC Central Kitchen). He exposes practices that are inefficient & worthless in the non-profit sector, and brings in simple yet fresh ideas. I am going to DCCK tomorrow at 7:45 in the morning to learn more about all their happenings, drive around in their refrigerated truck and go vote (not really related to the first two). It is difficult at this point to think of three better reas ...more
Joanna
Dec 14, 2009 Joanna rated it it was ok
I agree with much of what Egger has to say, particularly that non-profits need to start banding together to become a real force of change. By working together rather than competing for scarce resources and acclaim, non-profits can have a greater direct impact and become a political force that can change policy to help meet our missions. Egger's is a great story and his DC Kitchen does amazing work. But, I also found the book to be a little hokey and I disagree with some of what he has to say.
Jess
Jun 03, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it
This dude is a personal role model. Particularly enjoyed the brief history of the nonprofit sector -- gave a lot of insight into how and why the field has evolved in the way that it has and sets the stage well for 'something different.' I also like how Eggers doesn't assume that purely market-based change is the solution to complex, structural problems like hunger.
Brenda Lee
Jul 13, 2014 Brenda Lee rated it liked it
As I am working on starting a non-profit organization, this book was educational and helpful in my pursuits. I had met the author at the Conference of World Affairs and was inspired to learn more about his work as he is clearly a person who has taken action on his passion to help the homeless population.
Scott
Jul 11, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed his perspective on how to influence social change and to safeguard against the fact that it sometimes becomes more for the volunteer than the recipient. I also agree with his point that the biggest changes can now be made through corporations instead of proliferating nonprofits.
Allie
Jan 02, 2014 Allie rated it really liked it
A bit all over the place - but I think that's Egger's style. I enjoyed this quick read. Some good ideas for how to shake up the NP sector. Recommended for those who are new to non-profits or seeking volunteer opportunities in the new year.
Jessica
May 31, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Good introduction to the nonprofit marketspace. Introduces reader to the problem of similarly-oriented organizations competing for limited foundation funds and the ability of the organizations to serve the populations they target.
Suzie
Mar 25, 2013 Suzie rated it it was amazing
Must-read for those in the nonprofit sector. Or for those NOT in the nonprofit sector to get a clue. ;-) Very inspiring.
Deborah
Oct 01, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing
A great read with a lot of meaningful insight into the nonprofit sector and how it should/could operate more effectively.
Allison
Dec 28, 2007 Allison rated it liked it
Egger had some good points, but at times was a bit wordy. I definitely admire what he has done.
Mike & Mandy Laning
Feb 21, 2008 Mike & Mandy Laning rated it it was amazing
Excellent Book about non-profits and helping the poor. Can't wait to read it again.
Jamie Berry
Aug 07, 2013 Jamie Berry rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all nonprofit managers.
N.S.
Dec 22, 2007 N.S. rated it it was amazing
If he ran for office, I'd vote for him.
Beth
Aug 05, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
An easy and effective (and affecting) read.
Mary
Jan 10, 2009 Mary is currently reading it
recommended by my son...
Lucy Murphy
Jan 08, 2010 Lucy Murphy rated it really liked it
Egger really has it right.
Debra
Mar 14, 2010 Debra is currently reading it
Everyone who works for a nonprofit should read this book. It is easy to read and will give you new insight on the homeless, greed and just applying yourself to a greater cause. Even if you don't work in a nonprofit, it is a good read in general.
Gregory
Gregory marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Mark Johnson
Mark Johnson rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Eli
Eli rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits
  • Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism
  • Rippling: How Social Entrepreneurs Spread Innovation Throughout the World
  • The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits
  • How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
  • Lords of Poverty
  • Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • The Foundation: A Great American Secret: How Private Wealth is Changing the World
  • More Than Good Intentions: How a New Economics Is Helping to Solve Global Poverty
  • The Good Priest's Son
  • How to Make Big Money in Your Own Small Business: Unexpected Rules Every Small Business Owner Needs to Know
  • A Theology as Big as the City: The Case for Natural Law
  • Be the Solution: How Entrepreneurs and Conscious Capitalists Can Solve All the World's Problems
  • 22 Ideas to Fix the World: Conversations with the World's Foremost Thinkers
  • A Long Time Coming: The Inspiring, Combative 2008 Campaign and the Historic Election of Barack Obama