Start by marking “Begging for Change: The Dollars and Sense of Making Nonprofits Responsive, Efficient, and Rewarding for All” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  20 reviews
You are a good person. You are one of the 84 million Americans who volunteer with a charity. You are part of a national donor pool that contributes nearly $200 billion to good causes every year. But you wonder: Why don't your efforts seem to make a difference?

Fifteen years ago, Robert Egger asked himself this same question as he reluctantly climbed aboard a food service tr
Published February 17th 2004 by HarperBusiness (first published February 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Begging for Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Begging for Change

Nikita T. Mitchell
A great read, especially for someone new to the sector.

Saved quotes:

"The leaders of the organization were shielded from criticism because, like other nonprofit organizations, they could behind a noble mission. It's as if questioning the soundness of their planning is in effect questioning their integrity, their purpose, and the need of their constituents." (50)

"Experts in social policy call this the "law of unintended consequences." I call it "good intentions gone bad." Just because you're doin
Ami Neiberger-Miller
I heard Robert Eggers speak a couple of years ago at a nonprofit event and loved his dynamic perspective on the nonprofit sector and call to re-think how we do business. Eggers founded D.C. Central Kitchen and rebuilt the national capital chapter of the United Way following a major scandal.

In Begging for Change: The Dollars and Sense of Making Nonprofits Responsive, Efficient, and Rewarding for All, Eggers asks nonprofit workers to consider how we can collaborate to tackle the problems facing ou
Jeff Sloan
Desiree
Robert Egger is like the Gordan Ramsay of the non-profit world (a little bit ironic, since he is director of the DC Central Kitchen). He exposes practices that are inefficient & worthless in the non-profit sector, and brings in simple yet fresh ideas. I am going to DCCK tomorrow at 7:45 in the morning to learn more about all their happenings, drive around in their refrigerated truck and go vote (not really related to the first two). It is difficult at this point to think of three better reas ...more
Joanna
I agree with much of what Egger has to say, particularly that non-profits need to start banding together to become a real force of change. By working together rather than competing for scarce resources and acclaim, non-profits can have a greater direct impact and become a political force that can change policy to help meet our missions. Egger's is a great story and his DC Kitchen does amazing work. But, I also found the book to be a little hokey and I disagree with some of what he has to say.
Jess
This dude is a personal role model. Particularly enjoyed the brief history of the nonprofit sector -- gave a lot of insight into how and why the field has evolved in the way that it has and sets the stage well for 'something different.' I also like how Eggers doesn't assume that purely market-based change is the solution to complex, structural problems like hunger.
Brenda Lee
As I am working on starting a non-profit organization, this book was educational and helpful in my pursuits. I had met the author at the Conference of World Affairs and was inspired to learn more about his work as he is clearly a person who has taken action on his passion to help the homeless population.
Scott
I truly enjoyed his perspective on how to influence social change and to safeguard against the fact that it sometimes becomes more for the volunteer than the recipient. I also agree with his point that the biggest changes can now be made through corporations instead of proliferating nonprofits.
Allie
A bit all over the place - but I think that's Egger's style. I enjoyed this quick read. Some good ideas for how to shake up the NP sector. Recommended for those who are new to non-profits or seeking volunteer opportunities in the new year.
Jessica
Good introduction to the nonprofit marketspace. Introduces reader to the problem of similarly-oriented organizations competing for limited foundation funds and the ability of the organizations to serve the populations they target.
Suzie
Must-read for those in the nonprofit sector. Or for those NOT in the nonprofit sector to get a clue. ;-) Very inspiring.
Deborah
A great read with a lot of meaningful insight into the nonprofit sector and how it should/could operate more effectively.
Allison
Egger had some good points, but at times was a bit wordy. I definitely admire what he has done.
Mike & Mandy Laning
Excellent Book about non-profits and helping the poor. Can't wait to read it again.
Jamie Berry
This is a must read for all nonprofit managers.
N.S.
If he ran for office, I'd vote for him.
Beth
An easy and effective (and affecting) read.
Mary
Jan 10, 2009 Mary is currently reading it
recommended by my son...
Lucy Murphy
Egger really has it right.
Debra
Mar 14, 2010 Debra is currently reading it
Everyone who works for a nonprofit should read this book. It is easy to read and will give you new insight on the homeless, greed and just applying yourself to a greater cause. Even if you don't work in a nonprofit, it is a good read in general.
Rachel Payne
Rachel Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Pam Curtis
Pam Curtis is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Peprmntpurple
Peprmntpurple marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lisa Mahar
Lisa Mahar marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Alyssa Crawford
Alyssa Crawford marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Debbi
Debbi is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2015
Errol Nisbeth
Errol Nisbeth marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential
  • The Power of Unreasonable People: How Social Entrepreneurs Create Markets That Change the World
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity (Community Resilience Guides)
  • Out of Poverty: What Works When Traditional Approaches Fail
  • The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty Through Profits
  • How to Change the World: Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas
  • Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits (J-B US non-Franchise Leadership)
  • More Than Good Intentions: How a New Economics Is Helping to Solve Global Poverty
  • The Well-Balanced World Changer: A Field Guide for Staying Sane While Doing Good
  • Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time
  • Locavesting: The Revolution in Local Investing and How to Profit from It
  • Making Good
  • Fostering Sustainable Behavior: An Introduction to Community-Based Social Marketing
  • Rebuild the Dream
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • The Age of Acquiescence: The Life and Death of American Resistance to Organized Wealth and Power
Mehr Energie Durch Shaolin-Qi Gong: Die Ubungen Der Monche Fur Stressabbau Und Leistungssteigerung Mehr Energie durch Shaolin-Qi Gong: Die Übungen der Mönche für Stressabbau und Leistungssteigerung