Start by marking “The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science: 64 Daring Experiments for Young Scientists” as Want to Read:

What could be more fun for kids than to have the kind of rip-roaring good time that harkens back to pre-video game, pre-computer days? Introducing 64 valuable science experiments that snap, crackle, pop, ooze, crash, boom, and stink! From Marshmallows on Steroids to Home-Made Lightning, the Sandwich Bag Bomb to Giant Air Cannon, The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science aw ...more
Published September 24th 2008 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science

Afton Nelson
Jan 31, 2009 Afton Nelson rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This book is shelved at the library in the juvenile section, yet parts of it seem written for adults, not kids. I suppose adults should be involved when kids are doing irresponsible things, but in this case, "irresponsible" has more to do with learning through play than it does destruction or waste.

Once you get past the intro, the experiments are all laid out in a clear and easy to understand way. Kudos to the author for including experiments that truly can be done with "things around the house.
Lynne
Oct 18, 2008 Lynne rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, children-ya
Am I evil for buying this for a friend's nine-year old?
Kate
Oct 15, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
This is far and away my favorite science experiment collection for kids - I like it much better than Steve Spangler's books or the Mythbusters science fair book. Spangler and the Mythbusters team are both doing branding to some extent in their books, and I think that element hurts the books; this is pure science fair fun for kids. Many of the experiments found in this book can also be found in the other books I mention, but they stand apart for the tone they take and the way they explain what ha ...more
Sara
Oh boy, I am really behind on book reviews. I book-talked this during Summer Reading school visits to mostly 4th and 5th graders, and they were SO PSYCHED about it. Probably mostly because part of my book-talk was demonstrating the Frankenstein's Hand experiment.

In all honestly, this is a pretty straightforward science experiment book. The thing that pushes it over the edge to awesome is the visual design of the book. It is SO appealing. There are no large blocks of text, tons of pictures, and d
Jerianna
Jul 02, 2014 Jerianna rated it really liked it
This book has a collections of fun, easy science experiments that kids can do, along with an explanation of the principle behind them. It is well organized, an easy read and fun! I have done some of the experiments with my kids this summer, and will buy myself a copy.
It's a must-have for summer fun! Science is fun, and this is a great book to help promote that attitude.
The reason it didn't get a 5 is that it needed an editor, there were some annoying typos, and it really wasn't a life-changer.
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Sep 04, 2011 Kathy (Kindle-aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This one is fun - lots of cool experiments. Grabbed it from the library but will check it out again soon, and it'll also prob go on the kiddos wishlist for Christmas. Big range of experiemtns too, some that we'll wait until the kiddos are older, but lots we could do now. Also pretty much all of them used stuff we already had, or could be obained cheaply from the grocery store. Can't beat that.

Fun way to get them interested in science.
Teen
Jun 04, 2009 Teen added it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has lots of fun experiments that use things you probably have at home. The cover art, size, and layout of the book is appealing. This was picked out of a table full of books twice by middle school boys for me to tell them about, so I've seen it in action! Each experiment is accompanied by a quick and dirty run-down of the science behind what is going on.
Betsy
Nov 28, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it
One Sentence Review: In spite of referring to a philosopher's stone as a "sorcerer's stone" (seriously, people) this may be one of the most enjoyable and beautifully designed science experiment books I've had the pleasure to peruse in quite some time.
Tricia
My 7 year old son got this as a birthday present and fell in love with the cover and the title. We've only read a few of the experiments, but it looks fun so far! They aren't necessarily brand-new projects in the genre, but the presentation is unique and engaging.
Jimmy
Jan 05, 2015 Jimmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, nonfiction
These science experiments sound doable, easy, and fun. preteen to middle school interest.
Ratforcekids
For hands-on family fun, try some of the 64 experiments in The Book of Totally Irresponsible Science.
PWRL
May 23, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Jen
Feb 16, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-stuff
This is full of really GREAT stuff for my kiddos that stay after school to play with science! I'm so excited for our group tomorrow!
Mariah Thompson
Mariah Thompson rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Shiv Swaroop
Shiv Swaroop rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Babis Sfougaris
Babis Sfougaris rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Jenn S
Jenn S rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Elaine7717
Elaine7717 rated it liked it
May 27, 2011
Sean Pedersen
Sean Pedersen rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Victor A. Reinoso
Victor A. Reinoso rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Faith Hellow
Faith Hellow rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
J.ruzhyo
J.ruzhyo rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Jon Coscio
Jon Coscio rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Art
Art rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Emily Cox
Emily Cox rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Stephanie T
Stephanie T rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2011
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Lyle Wood
Lyle Wood rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Naked Eggs and Flying Potatoes: Unforgettable Experiments That Make Science Fun
  • The Geek Dad Book for Aspiring Mad Scientists: The Coolest Experiments and Projects for Science Fairs and Family Fun
  • Backyard Ballistics: Build Potato Cannons, Paper Match Rockets, Cincinnati Fire Kites, Tennis Ball Mortars, and More Dynamite Devices
  • The Boys' Book of Survival: How to Survive Anything, Anywhere
  • Citizen Scientists: Be a Part of Scientific Discovery from Your Own Backyard
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • 365 Manners Kids Should Know: Games, Activities, and Other Fun Ways to Help Children Learn Etiquette
  • Relativity Simply Explained
  • Pick Me Up - Stuff You Need To Know...
  • The Boys Book
  • Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments: All Lab, No Lecture
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do at Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • So You Want to Be an Inventor?
  • Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story
  • Lost Discoveries: The Ancient Roots of Modern Science--from the Babylonians to the Maya
  • The Tree of Life: Charles Darwin
  • Why There's Antifreeze in Your Toothpaste: The Chemistry of Household Ingredients
Sean Connolly will be familiar to listeners of BBC Radio Five Live and Radio Wales. Among his more than 50 books aimed at children and adults are Wholly Irresponsible Experiments and Witness to History: The Industrial Revolution. He has also written for the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia. His three children are either collaborators or guinea pigs, depending on the project.
More about Sean Connolly...