Start by marking “Iphigeneia at Aulis” as Want to Read:
Iphigeneia at Aulis

Iphigeneia at Aulis

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,507 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Based on the conviction that only translators who write poetry them-selves can properly recreate the celebrated and timeless tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, the Greek Tragedy in New Translations series offers new translations that go beyond the literal meaning of the Greek in order to evoke the poetry of the originals.
Published October 29th 1992 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -410)

To ask other readers questions about Iphigeneia at Aulis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iphigeneia at Aulis

Jemidar

This play premiered in Athens in 405BC and is about an incident that took place at Aulis before the the armies of Hellas could set sail for the Trojan War.

This isn't a tragedy as we would normally think of them, as in Shakespeare's tragedies where bodies litter the stage by the final scene but it is a tragedy nonetheless despite the apparent 'happy' ending. I've heard it argued that this is a tragedy in the way Aristotle defined them, where someone has to make a choice, a difficult & horribl
Angie
B.R. Depue
This was a pretty good story. I just had a bit of a hard time reading it. I would recommend it to others to read if they want to read an interesting story.
Laila (AKA LunaBelle)
Phillip
This is an extremely readable adaptation of Euripides' Iphigenia at Aulis, which is a great anti-war play questioning the sacrifices people are willing to make just for the chance to fight in a war without any real goal or benefit.

Teevan does two things I find particularly interesting in this adaptation. First, he incorporates a frame narrative where the old servant from Iphigenia at Aulis reflects back on the sacrifice from the end of the Trojan War when Agamemnon and the Greeks have returned h
Iphigenia in Aulis is one of two plays about Iphigenia that Euripides wrote- out of those two, this one is by far the better one. Instead of following a hypothetical situation like Iphigenia Among the Tauri, Iphigenia at Aulis simply tells the story of a father who is forced to kill his own daughter for assistance in battle from the gods. Essentially, this is the most appropriate "prequel" to the Oresteia trilogy.

Since I love the trilogy following Agamemnon and Orestes, I also love this play be
Katie
Hm. This does not seem like a typical greek tragedy much atoll, does it. the action needing punishment is realized right away; the recognition is at the very beginning. The chorus alternates with the characters themselves singing. Despite the early recognition, nobody in the play can stop it; the 'villain' is fate and the mob. Certainly curious. it was well done, and nothing atoll what I expected, despite knowing the story. also odd how it is written with full knowledge of the trojan war ahead. ...more
Christopher
علی
اوری پید (480 تا 406 پیش از میلاد) در میان سه تراژدی نویس مشهور یونان، جوان ترین آنهاست. او حدود نود و پنج تراژدی و کمدی نوشته که تنها هژده تای آنها باقی مانده است. مده آی او که تصور می کنم توسط ابوالحسن ونده ور به فارسی برگردانده شده، شاید تنها تراژدی اوری پید باشد که به زبان فارسی ترجمه شده. ویژگی کار اوری پید استفاده از شخصیت های معمولی ست. استفاده از شکل جعبه ای صحنه ی تیاتر (بر خلاف صحنه ی دایره وار یونانی در وسط تماشاگران) را به اوری پید نسبت می دهند، جعبه ی سه دیواره ای که تا دوران معاصر، ...more
Derek Folder
I read this and watched the movie for a college Literature course at Columbia College Chicago. fantastic detail brought into acute relief by terrific suspense.
Carrie
I enjoyed the passion of Iphegenia. I loved Achilles character and think there is a bigger story there I would like to develop.
Craig
There is no other Greek tragedian whose work I enjoy more than Euripides. One of his greatest late plays.
Barbara
I love Greek Mythology, and although I love all of the Greek Tragedy writers from this time period, Euripides has always been my favorite. The stories are so great (and even though they are tragedies, I just think they are so much fun!!!!) I am in the process of rereading many of these great plays, but I started with Iphigeneia at Aulis because it was always one of my favorites. I haven't decided which one will be next -- suggestions are welcome!!! Maybe Ion? Medea? Trojan Women???
Lena
A play by Euripides about the story of Iphigenia, the girl who was sacrificed for the cause of the greater good. Iphigenia is the girl chosen by the gods to be sacrificed. The Greek army would not be able to advance until her death, as all winds have ceased. Agamemnon, the general of the greek army, is faced with a decision. Will he sacrifice his daughter for the glory of war, or will he let her live and be faced with the threat of the greek army?
Julia Boechat Machado
Iphigenia em Áulis é incrivelmente triste. Agamemnon pretende sacrificar a filha pelo orgulho de seu exército, Aquiles quer salvá-la apenas porque seu nome foi utilizado, e ela mesa decide se entregar ao sacrifício para morrer com dignidade, ao invés de ser arrastada para o altar.
Os eventos desse livro prenunciam toda a Orestéia, e atingem uma força poética qe só pode ser descrita como pungente.
Mary
This was not my favorite of Euripides's plays. I did not enjoy the long speeches early on, even though they did serve their purpose in delivering the back story. I found the changes in personality and character of Agammemnon and Menelaus, when compared to their portrayal in other classic works, kind of jarring. Also, Iphigenia's response in the end just didn't seem believable.
Meagan
Jul 24, 2010 Meagan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meagan by: Mythology Teacher
Karen
Madeline
I think this is a fascinating story, but I found this translation to be a little lacking in grace. The language was neat, but not especially beautiful.
Whitney
I really enjoyed reading this play, but the version I saw in London was kind of terrible.
Beka Sukhitashvili
ელენეს გამო რამდენი უბედურება მოხდა.
Brandon Harwood
Probably one of my favorite stories.
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Denicia
Denicia marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
  • Ajax (Translations from Greek Drama)
  • Birds
  • The Persians
  • Medea
  • Idylls
  • Heroides
  • The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...
Medea Medea and Other Plays Bacchae Euripides 1: Alcestis/The Medea/The Heracleidae/Hippolytus The Trojan Women

“AGAMEMNON: I will not slay my children, nor shall thy interests be prospered by justice in thy vengeance for a worthless wife, while I am left wasting, night and day, in sorrow for what I did to one of my own flesh and blood, contrary to all law and justice.” 2 likes
“Sentir respeto es sabiduría.” 0 likes