Start by marking “Taking Chase (Chase Brothers, #2)” as Want to Read:
Taking Chase (Chase Brothers, #2)

Taking Chase (Chase Brothers #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  6,035 ratings  ·  224 reviews
Cassie Gambol is on the run. In what seems like another lifetime, her ex-husband nearly ended her life and effectively ended her successful career as a vascular surgeon. But even though the justice system found him guilty of attempted murder, he fled while awaiting sentencing and Carly Sunderland became Cassie Gambol. Fleeing Los Angeles, she heads to small and off the map...more
Trade Paperback, 253 pages
Published February 1st 2007 by Samhain Publishing (first published November 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Chase

Something About You by Julie JamesA Lot like Love by Julie JamesWild Card by Lora LeighUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareThe Darkest Hour by Maya Banks
I Love A Man In Uniform
34th out of 978 books — 963 voters
Open Season by Linda HowardTalk Me Down by Victoria DahlMr. Perfect by Linda HowardWhispering Rock by Robyn CarrSugar Creek by Toni Blake
Best Small Town Cop/Sheriff Romance Novels
9th out of 100 books — 195 voters

More lists with this book...

Miss Kim
Mar 22, 2011 Miss Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
The four Chase brothers are Petal, Georgia’s most sought-after bachelors. Kyle fell for Maggie in book one, Giving Chase. (Highly recommend that one) I was anticipating Shane Chase’s story. He came as a total a**hole in the first book. You got a sense that he hated himself for it, but that’s just how he is. He’s the town sheriff and is a borderline uber-alpha, if you ask me. That is until he meets Cassie Gambol...then he gets bumped down to plain old alpha.

Cassie rolls into town on the run from...more
Dina
Taking Chase is the second book in Lauren Dane's Chase Brothers series and it's older brother Shane's story.

Shane was introduced in Giving Chase, where he pretty much acted like a jerk and failed to endear himself to me, but I knew he would have to change in this book if Ms. Dane had any intention of making him a likable hero. What I didn't expect to see was how abrupt his change was, so it was hard to believe it at first. Right from the start of this book, previously callous and relationship-sh...more
Daisiemae
Jun 29, 2008 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All of my friends here on goodreads that haven't joined in on the Chase Brother's bandwagon
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Auntee
Wow! I have decided that I want to be adoped by the Chase family. What a clan! I honestly didn't know what I would think of this book. I loved Giving Chase, but I thought that Shane, although hurt from the betrayal of his ex-fiance, was such a player and his thoughtlessness hurt others...particularly women in general. I have to say I thought he redeemed himself in this one.
Cassie Gambol is on the run from her ex-husband. He is so obsessed with controlling her he set out to kill her. When he was...more
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense

Taking Chase is the second book in a feel good, love conquers all contemporary romance series about the four hunky Chase Brothers (Kyle, Shane, Marc, and Matt) of small town Petal, Georgia and their loving, doting, spitfire mother Polly and tenderhearted, wise, lawyer father Edward.

Hard, gruff, town sheriff and oldest brother Shane Chase has been guarding his broken heart by casually dating vapid, shallow women ever since catching his fiancée cheat...more
Auntee
Apr 17, 2008 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance fans, erotic romance fans
Just perfect! Beautifully written love story with just enough conflict between the H/H to make it interesting.

Cassie Gambol, a beautiful doctor and a victim of domestic abuse, just wants to disappear from her old life and the terrible memories of her ex-husband and start new somewhere. On the run from her ex, she flees L.A. and ends up in the small town of Petal, Georgia, and soon meets up with the colorful Chase family.

Shane Chase is the town sheriff, and just about the sexiest man Cassie has e...more
Kathrynn
Enjoyed this fairly light, easy-to-read, trade paperback set in the small, fictitious town of Petal, Georgia. This is the second in the Chase Brother's series and I recommend the books be read in order because the characters overlap.

It was nice reading about all the Chase family members, the eccentric Polly Chase (mom), brothers and a few new characters pop into this one. Taking Chase was a romantic suspense, with a police officer theme and passed through two Christmas time periods to boot!

Cass...more
Corrine
This one was kind of disappointing on two fronts. The first is that battered woman finding trust and love again is one of my favorite tropes (I think it's because my first ever romance was Public Secrets by Nora Roberts), so I really expected to love this book. Second, after meeting Shane Chase in the first book. I thought he was going to have a real struggle falling in love with a woman and being able to trust her.

The storyline of Cassie moving on and growing stronger after her ex-husband near...more
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
Spoiler Free Review -Quick Review
3.5 STARS out of 5
Genre: Adult Romance
Series: Book #2 In the Chase Brothers series

I find myself very much enjoying this series with the Chase brothers!

Cassie Gambol is running from something and she is most definitely hiding something. Sheriff Shane Chase is no fool he plans to figure out exactly what it is. What he does not expect is to become totally smitten with her and fall in love.

Cassie barely escaped with her life after her ex-husband beat her within an in...more
Emily
Cassie Gambol's first view of Petal, Georgia is brief before she is rear ended by speedy gonzales whose hair is a creation unlike she has ever seen before. Sheriff Shane Chase can't believe his mother is involved in yet another accident, but her current victim has left the commitment phobe man speechless.

Shane knows Cassie is hiding something and like any good cop he plans to fall out what. Of course he also has planned to woo her until he wins her over at the same time. Shane never planned to l...more
Celeste
Fantastic! I liked this second book in Lauren Dane's, Chase Brother series more than I liked the first... and I have heard they only get better, so I'm glad to have something to look forward to!

And can I just say how happy I am that Shane's not a jerk anymore?! I was really hating on him for a while there! But he definitely cleaned up his act pretty fast... and he was so SWEET with Cassie! I fell in love with their story... I will be reading this one over again that's for sure.
Joy (joyous reads)
This was slightly better than the first book of the series but not that much. I think it had something to do with the time Ms. Dane took to develop her characters a bit better. Shane, though... I can't say that I've changed my mind about him even if the author worked hard at giving him some substance.

In Giving Chase, he was the commitment-phobe who treated Maggie horribly. His excuse? A bad experience with a cheating ex. What I don't understand was that this phobia simply evaporated with Cassie....more
Lindsay
I was pleased with this book. After reading Giving Chase (and loving it) and Chased (and being irritated by it) I was worried that I wouldn’t like Taking Chase. I actually really enjoyed the book. I was also worried about liking Shane, based on his character in Giving Chase, but he was redeemed and became a likable character. I also really liked Cassie, and she was really good for Shane.

However, my only complaint was with Shane. I never thought I would complain about this, but at times Shane wa...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
Taking Chase is the second book in Lauren Dane's, Chase Brothers series.

I enjoyed this book and feel the writing is better than the first. It was definitely more serious. I liked Shane's and Cassie's characters. They had good chemistry throughout the book, but I wasn't as engaged in their love story as I'd hoped. I felt I was told what their thoughts and feelings were instead of being allowed to experience them. Consequently, I never felt a strong emotional connection to them while reading this...more
Holly
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous. Although I understood (as much as a person can w/o actually experiencing something) the issues and insecurities the heroine had, she drove me nuts. I thought for sure it would be the hero that would annoy me, but nope. I actually adored him. The story itself was good and I liked visiting the town of Petal again, but I wasn't super impressed with this one. Even so, I can't wait to start the next.
Karen ~ Divhine
This is the second book in the series and I loved it!
Brandy *Ahviel*
A battle begins between Shane, who knows what he wants and Cassie, who tries to keep a distance between herself and the very handsome sheriff. But Cassies ex is back and he wants her dead. Book Two of the Chase Brothers Cassie Gambol is on the run. In what seems like another lifetime, her ex-husband nearly ended her life and effectively ended her successful career as a vascular surgeon. But even though the justice system found him guilty of attempted murder, he fled while awaiting sentencing and...more
Steffi
3 stars for Taking Chase by Lauren Dane

Taking Chase is the second book in the Chase Brothers series by author Lauren Dane.
This one is about the eldest Chase, Shane and new-in-town Cassie.
Even if the story line is different, I have to say that the problems I had with the book are quite similar to the ones I had with Giving Chase and my conclusion is pretty much the same as well:)

The book was a nice light read. Very easy to follow, as we already know all the main protagonists.It was romant...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Nov 08, 2013 t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who like a good romance
Shelves: 3-star-read
November 7 2013 reread on Audio book. Decent narrator and still like the story..in fact I raised my rating from 3 star to 4 star...I really enjoyed the sweet steamy story. I do recommend these Chase Brothers and the town of Petal. GA:)

Cassie and Shane jump off the pages and it is a pleasure to read their love story.

Description:

Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

We met Shane in the first book when he shortly dated his now sister in law. Although I wasn’t a bit fan of that intermingling of siblings and picking up your brothers’ exes, well, Kyle was the better choice in that case. But Shane always seemed like the dark, sexy and brooding type. Typical cop behavior.

Of course I had to love that he got a heroine that has gone through a lot and who is actually on the run from her ex husband who went completely nuts and tried to kill her. She comes to Petal, G...more
Beckyloohoo Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ aka Mrs. Acheron Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
While I find that I ADORE the Chase family, and OK all of the characters really, I was a little disappointed by this book. I love Shane Chase. He's sexy and a rogue who had his heart broken before. Everyone loves a tortured hero. In book 1 (which isn't really his book) we get to understand him, and what makes him tick. We find out he was cheated on by a fiance and he was so hurt by it that he now avoids any kind of situation where he might develop feelings for someone he's dating. OK. We get it....more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
After having read all four of the Chase books, I think this one is my favourite, just slightly ahead of the last one, Matt's story. I think it's because of the heroine's back story, it just makes for a good story. You can't help but feel for her, knowing there are many women out there who have stories like her.

It's funny that I like this one the best as out of all the Chase boys, I liked Shane the least. In the first book, he was a total ahole and I certainly didn't like him after what he did t...more
Darcy
I wasn't sure how I was going to like this book because I didn't really care for Shane in the last book.

There were times that I wanted to reach through the pages and slap Shane, especially after he knew Cassie's story, but then there were times when he was sweet and would do things to help her.

I found myself admiring Cassie, I don't know that I would/could live through what she did. I thought she did great coming to Petal to start over again. And in true Petal fashion Cassie was welcomed to tow...more
Bianca
I didn't like the first too much... don't take me wrong, it was a good way to spend a couple of days... but this is worse: the plot is almost identical to the other, little-beautiful-girl attacked/stalked by an ex, big-hot-man comes and resolves problem. No. Just no. I mean, okay, the first time around is fun, the second it just gets booooring. I also didn't like Shane, all that testosterone gone to waste on a beetle-brain. Tzè!
On the other hand, Carly/Cassie was a very good character: her traum...more
Liah B
Good book 2 in the Chase Brothers series! Great contemporary romance novel by a favorite author... Lauren Dane
Stephanie
First read 12/2009

I have to say that I was not a huge Lauren Dane fan, but my friends that was until I read this series. Lauren Dane you ROCK!!!!

I love Shane and Cassie, and how there relationship grew despite the horrible tragedies that Cassie was forced to endure at the hand of an abusive ex. I really liked the way Shane was so good with Cassie and understood what she needed to feel safe. Although he was not my favorite brother, I really did like him and their love story.

Second read 10/2011

Cindy
Book 2 in the Chase Brothers series has convinced me I want to 1) move to Petal, Georgia and 2) get myself adopted by the Chase family. But since that is not going to happen I guess I'll just have to say Lauren Dane did her usual outstanding writing job: tight plot, engaging characters and colorfully detailed setting. Great read!

Chase Brothers:
GIVING CHASE
Taking Chase
CHASED
Making Chase
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this second installment in the Chase Brothers series. The first book was not a favorite, but this one has much to recommend it. The heroine has changed her identity to escape her abusive ex-husband (this is made clear immediately, I will avoid actual spoilers.) Cassie has a great deal to recover from after the horrific experience. As someone who has worked with victims of domestic abuse, I know Dane got a lot right. This is a romance, and there is a gloss on everything, but Dane...more
Guilty Pleasures
These Chase brothers are HOT!!! Polly is a Matriarch to love and fear =) I can't wait to read the last two books, I wish there were more brothers...sigh
Hbeebti
Loved Shane's book. Better than the first. I loved that they fought but made up. They both made mistakes. Their story was believable.
Marg
Better than I remember the first one being, even if the culmination of the romantic suspense plot did feel a little tacked on.
  • Shoulda Been a Cowboy (Rough Riders, #7)
  • Line of Fire (Firefighters of Station Five, #4)
  • Blade's Desire (Desire, Oklahoma, #2)
  • Nauti Intentions (Nauti #4)
  • Saturday Night Special (Wild Irish, #6)
  • Fragile (Rafferty, #1)
  • Eastern Ambitions (Compass Brothers, #3)
  • Rocky Mountain Haven (Six Pack Ranch, #2)
  • Long Road Home
Lauren Dane has been writing stories since she was able to use a pencil, and before that she used to tell them to people. Of course, she still talks nonstop, and through wonderful fate and good fortune, she’s now able to share what she writes with others. It’s a wonderful life!

The basics: Lauren is a mom, a partner, a best friend and a daughter. Living in the rainy but beautiful Pacific Northwest,...more
More about Lauren Dane...
Laid Bare (Brown Siblings, #1) Giving Chase (Chase Brothers, #1) Coming Undone (Brown Siblings, #2) Making Chase (Chase Brothers, #4) Never Enough (Brown Siblings, #4)

“friends will sit your ass down and give you the 'Come To Jesus' talk when you need it most.” 19 likes
“That’s love. Real love is scary. Because you know what you stand to lose.” 7 likes