Start by marking “Runaway Dreidel!” as Want to Read:
Preview

Runaway Dreidel!

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A fantastical Chanukah journey

"'Twas the first night of Chanukah and on the fifth floor,
There was holiday hustling and bustling galore . . .
Grandma was slicing up two chocolate babkas,
Grandpa was grating potatoes for latkes."

On the first night of Chanukah a lucky boy receives a shiny new dreidel, but once it starts spinning it just won’t stop! With a mind of its own, the d
Published October 11th 2002 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Dreidel!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Dreidel!

Cassandra Neal
I really liked that this book incorporated traditional Jewish ideals/symbols and also presented it in a format that most American children have been exposed to. I think this makes the story more relatable for all children in the classroom as it has a common theme they are familiar with while integrating new ideas. I would use this for a Christmas aronud the world theme or simply to expose children to cultures and religions that live within their community that they may not have much knowledge of ...more
Ala Abdallah
This book was enjoyable to read. It starts off with a young boy who spins his dreidel while his family prepares for Chanukah. As he reaches to stop it from spinning it goes out of control. It spins out of the apartment, out of the building and on to the street. Soon, he and all of his family and neighbors are chasing after it until it eventually gets to the beach and flies up into the sky. Many Jewish words were used such as "latke" a meal and "kosher" meaning clean and without dairy or pork. It ...more
Michelle
I personally really like it. The illustrations are creative and interesting and the rhyming text mirrors that of "The Night Before Christmas." For older children, this follows a familiar sort of pattern, yet inserts a Chanukah theme. It is a bit old and a bit long for my kiddos, but I will give it a read and see how they like it. I personally recommend it, especially for older children, maybe 6-9.
Matthew
This book was light and fun and the kids loved it. The boy chases the dreidel that he spun a little too well all through town, into the countryside, and across the sea before he eventually has to give up the chase as it crosses the horizon into outer space and shines in the night sky like a star. I really liked that it was told with a simple rhyming text that was easy for the kids to understand.
Steph
when i was around five, my best friend got me a personalized version of this book that substituted all of the character's in the book with the names of my friends and family. needless to say this was my favorite book for a long long time because it felt like a magical adventure story written about me!
Nancy Schroeder
A little boy's new dreidel slips out of his hands and leads him on a chase through town, into the country, out to the ocean, and into the sky. He describes the adventure (and many other Chanukah traditions) in a poem.
t
Funny and rhyming and awesome illustrations!
Kim
Charming Chanukah story about a dreidel that spins out of control and leads a family on a merry chase. Rhyming text and lovely, textured illustrations.

themes: dreidel, Chanukah, family
Elyce
Great story for children who have some knowledge on Chanukah. Would need a little bit of background information for beginners; some of the terms are matched with images, but might need explaining.
Shanshad Whelan
Eh, I'm not sure what to think about this. . . the artwork is fun and the story isn't bad, but why make the text mimic the form of The Night Before Christmas?
Terry
This is a fun story, that is quite descriptive poetically and visually.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
Wonderful to share books for all holidays. Rm 213
Alicia
Cute story overall.
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Angels Mom
Angels Mom marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Baskintm
Baskintm marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Janet
Janet added it
Jul 06, 2013
Lesléa Newman (born 1955, Brooklyn, NY) is the author of over 50 books including Heather Has Two Mommies, A Letter To Harvey Milk, Writing From The Heart, In Every Laugh a Tear, The Femme Mystique, Still Life with Buddy, Fat Chance and Out of the Closet and Nothing to Wear.
She has received many literary awards including Poetry Fellowships from the Massachusetts Artists Fellowship Foundation and th
More about Lesléa Newman...
October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard Hachiko Waits Heather Has Two Mommies Fat Chance Mommy, Mama, and Me