Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:
Matilda

Matilda

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  452,721 Ratings  ·  10,396 Reviews
Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered pa ...more
Published June 1st 1998 by Puffin (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.

Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)
Isamar Like the person before me said, you cannot read books on Goodreads...and also, you're supposed to finish a book first and THEN you rate it, that's…moreLike the person before me said, you cannot read books on Goodreads...and also, you're supposed to finish a book first and THEN you rate it, that's just common sense...(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Oct 07, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so great! I do enjoy the movie a bit more, but nevertheless this will always be a favorite of mine. I also really want to re-read some more Roald Dahl books now!
Ariel
Sep 15, 2016 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. I really wish I'd read this when I was a kid - I would have related to and loved Matilda so much! I like that this is a book for children that doesn't cater to them - it treats them like intelligent beings. The plot was exciting, the characters fun, and the themes interesting.

All together I've only read two Dahl books now (Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) but I definitely want to keep reading them!
Darth J
Apr 06, 2013 Darth J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the rea
Grace Tjan
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

SPOILERS!

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What i
Elyse
Mar 05, 2017 Elyse rated it it was amazing
The best!!! Thanks to Samra!!!! She brought back great memories....

This was a favorite of my daughters when she was around 8 or 9 years old.

Some books just make you smile --connect mothers and daughters reading together --
make us laugh - and remind us of simple pleasures.
This is 'that' type of book!

Jason Koivu
May 19, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, fiction, fantasy
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 Mariel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
Shayantani Das
Jan 15, 2012 Shayantani Das rated it it was ok
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Hannah Greendale
Matilda is a lovable protagonist, revered for her mischievous nature and easily sympathized with because of her abusive parents who don't recognize how extraordinary she is. Admittedly, she's a vengeful girl, but that never subtracts from her likability.

Roald Dahl crafted unapologetically over-the-top characters for this book:

When she marched -- Miss Trunchbull never walked, she always marched like a storm-trooper with long strides and arms aswinging -- when she marched along a corridor you co
Stephanie
Feb 17, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
WOW, I loved Matilda ! This was my first time reading the story that makes so many list of "must read" that I wanted to understand what all of the fuss was about. Well now I do!!!

Roald Dahl weaves a compelling and creative tale that keeps the reader interested from start to finish! This book is charming, clever, and funny ... with a bit of sadness mixed in.

The characters are vividly developed:

From the Good ...

* Matilda, the child prodigy, who taught herself to read and has morals (not sure whe
Mario
Apr 20, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
Samra Yousuf
Jan 02, 2017 Samra Yousuf rated it really liked it
My first review in 2017!
Matilda,my most beloved character and reason for my insatiable love for children's classics
I've read it quite countless times,listened to audio version while in most shitty mood,have adored it every time but never came up with a word to say on it.
Well,today I heard it in my way back to home,and i thought to make it reviewed at long last!
The exceptional Matilda is about a smart, easily infuriated little girl who is misunderstood by her parents and loathed by the school's h
Trish
Oct 03, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've seen the movie three times already and always loved it but it wasn't until recently that I finally bought the book. Roald Dahl truly is the master storyteller everyone calls him!

Every book he wrote (of those I've read so far) seems to have sort of a signature style that makes the reader recognize the author while at the same time the tone of the book is different. The characters are unique and have wonderful depth - which is not self-evident since the books are fairly thin. Each story feat
Joana Cotidiana
Mar 11, 2016 Joana Cotidiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cinema-tv
O filme fez parte da minha infância e só depois percebi que era baseado neste livro!

Para quem não sabe é sobre uma menina muito inteligente que aprende a ler sozinha. Os pais não apoiam este seu amor por livros, preferem muito mais a televisão. O pior é que acabam mesmo por negligenciar a filha que encontra o apoio que precisa numa professora.

É um livro repleto de aventuras, não aventuras cheias de magia e criaturas estranhas mas aventuras do dia a dia de uma menina na escola, em casa e na bibl
Poonam
Feb 25, 2016 Poonam rated it really liked it
This book is such a FUN FUN read. If you are in mood for a light stress-buster, this book is just PERFECT.

I haven't seen the movie and this book was a surprise for me. I love the author's writing style and the way Matilda, her family and her life in general has been portrayed.

There is underlying humor in the book which is very subtle but an absolute joy to read.

I loved Matilda, she is absolutely amazing and I would want to be friends with her in real life.
I love that she loved books

Miss. Trunc
Sarah Churchill
What's not to love about Matilda? Child genius who loves reading and learning, Terrible (verbally abusive) parents and an all kinds of abusive Headmistress. It sounds like it's going to be dismal, and it is sad - I really, really felt for little Matilda - but her attitude and outlook on life are fantastic and inspirational. And like all Dahl books, the nasty characters get their comeuppance. Love, love, love this book even more than I remembered.
Duane
This Roald Dahl classic was first published in 1988 and holds a high ranking on the list of best children's literature. And the movie, directed and acted by Danny Devito, may even be better. These great characters that Dahl created, Matilda, her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Wormwood, Miss Trunchbull, Miss Honey, were all brought to life in what is one of my favorite children's movies.
Brian
Dec 27, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
I would like to write about how great this book is, but I think my 8-year old daughter does a much better review. She read the book aloud to my wife and me on our long road trip this week.

The non sequitur moment in her review brought to you by Spice, the howling cat.

Oh, and yes - Spoilers abound.
pink (not just another shade of red)
I remember reading Matilda as a child... and back then I had a lot of questions:
How did Matilda learn to add very large numbers?
Why can't I add large numbers like Matilda?
Is it really ok to get back at your parents when you think they did something wrong?
Are there really people like "The Trunchball"?
Can I have superpowers like Matilda?
Why am I not allowed to go to the library by myself when Matilda can clearly manage by herself?
And lastly,Can adults really be that clueless and stupid?

But reading
K.D. Absolutely
Sep 01, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Dante
This is my third book by Roald Dahi (1916-1990). I did not plan to read this because I’ve already read his more famous (earlier) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) and his boyhood memoir, Boy: Tales of Childhood (1984) which are both included in the 501 Must Read Books that I am trying to read completely. However, the Filipinos group here in Goodreads selected this book as its bestseller read for this month, September 2011 so I had to buy and read this one too.

This book's main protagonist,
Duda Klein
Nov 16, 2015 Duda Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to watch this movie when I was a kid and I honestly don't know why it took me so much to read the book.. I really loved the irony about the sexism coming for her mother and father, it was clearly a critic.
I only had two issues with this book:
- The way every five year old child speak and think like an adult;
- The end

The end was really fast and I think it could be more worked on...

Besides that, it's a really great book and a fast read.
Heron
Jul 25, 2007 Heron rated it it was amazing
Oh Roald Dahl, you make my life complete. Matilda is one of those books for me. One of the books in my bookshelf, tattered and worn, pages falling out, that I will always go back to, no matter what the occasion. Dear, darling Miss Honey, Matilda's first grade teacher, is ever child's dream, and now that I'm older, every adult's dream as well. Miss Honey lives in a two room cottage with no running water, a camp stove, and wooden boxes for seats. She eats margarine instead of butter! Would that w ...more
Meli
Feb 01, 2015 Meli rated it it was amazing
La verdad es que siempre tuve curiosidad por leer este libro ya que siempre amé la peli, pero la honestamente esperaba otra cosas y resultó no ser mi favorito de Roald Dahl, tiene obras mucho más ingeniosas y entretenidas.

Lo dejo en un me gustó.

Sin embargo, le voy a dar cinco estrellas porque:

1º es Roald Dahl
2º es Matilda
3º detesto a los adultos que le dan puntajes negativos a libros infantiles. Dios no permita que me convierta en una alguna vez :P
Heba
Apr 11, 2015 Heba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
لم تفارقني الأبتسامة طوال قراءتي
لقد أحببتك يا ماتيلدا :)
تلك الفتاة الراشدة صغيرة السن ..العبقرية حادة الذكاء
وللأسف كم من الأباء والامهات يفتخرون بأبنائهم الحمقى المغفلين وفى المقابل هناك غيرهم من لا يهتم بعبقرية ابنائهم ويعتبرونها ثرثرة فارغة بل ومزعجة...
واخيراً ماتيلدا كانت تدرك ان الذكاء وحده لا يكفى
كانت لطيفة ...واللطف يأتى فى مقدمة الصفات الأنسانية التى لابد الا نتخلى عنها ابداً
جميل عالم الأطفال بفكاهته ..نحن بحاجة للعودة اليه من حين لأخر :)
Anne
Nov 23, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Matilda, little as she is, is an inspiration

Matilda is an exceptional girl, ridiculously brilliant, a voracious reader, and self-sufficient even at the early age of four years...and three months. The story? She's born into a horrible and negligent family too disdainful to see her worth.

I did enjoy this book, but I was a little unimpressed by it. Maybe it's because I've already watched the movie, and it was a good movie honestly. The pranks carried out by Matilda
were quite humorous in written
Ahmad Sharabiani
پدر تو چهطور به دختر نابغهات میگویی: بیشعور»
پدر و مادر ماتیلدا لقبهای زشتی به دخترشان داده اند: حقه باز! احمق! بیشعور! دروغگو! اما راستش را بخواهید ماتیلدا یک دختر کوچولوی نابغه است. پس باید دید که ماتیلدا چطور میتواند رودست پدر و مادرش بلند شود و به مدیر مدرسه بفهماند که استعداد و قدرتی کاملاً استثنایی دارد.» رولد دال بهترین نویسنده ی مرد انگلستان لقب گرفته است. او مینویسد: «اگر میخواهید دنیا را از دریچه ی چشم کودکان ببینید، چهار دست و پا روی زمین زانو بزنید و به بزرگسالانی که بالای سرتان چشم غ
Sonia
Jan 02, 2017 Sonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-popsugar-rc
2017 Popsugar reading challenge #27 A book with a title that's a character's name

Es mucho más adorable y divertido de lo que pensé. La verdad es que esperaba que me gustara, pero me impresionó lo dulce que es esta niñita, tan vulnerable y tan lista a la vez, tan llena de cualidades pero sin perder toda la inocencia. Tiene mucha más gracia y encanto en el libro, evidentemente, y lleva a quien lo lee a sentir ese cariño grandioso por los libros y el conocimiento, no como algo nuevo sino como algo
Lou
This was a fun read, even though the movie Matilda is heavily engraved in my mind and there was no real surprises when reading it. It was fun even though the young lad I was reading it with kept falling asleep two pages in, and I felt to finish in one night.
This story could be used as a manual to parents on how to NOT raise your kids and to all the Trunchbottoms, on how to Not teach children.
All the Trunchbottoms watch out their next pupil might just be like Matilda or up the ante maybe the gi
sj
Nov 17, 2011 sj rated it it was amazing
My senior year in high school, I became friends with this girl that kind of way outclassed me.

I wore men's cords and snap up western shirts under tee shirts, and was often barefoot when I could get away with it (I kept my duct taped corduroy converse in my backpack and would just slip them on when I went into class)I dyed my hair every week and went to a lot of local punk and third wave shows (srsly, a lot - like at least two a week and I rarely paid my way in).

Contrast with E. who wore heels an
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I have to wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. His evil adult characters had to have come from his own nightmares. The kids always win against the grownups, though. Maybe that's why Dahl's books are so popular. Isn't it every kid's dream to get back at the big people who get to control your life just because they're big and you're little?
Some of Dahl's grownups are so absurdly cruel, it emphasizes the fact that there are a lot of adults who should not be allowed near children. (I'm thinking of
British Literatur...: Novel Review: Matilda 1 1 Mar 12, 2017 12:41PM
Fantasy Chapter book 4 13 Mar 10, 2017 03:31PM
Reader's Paradise: Matilda - Jan 2017 94 77 Feb 06, 2017 08:08AM
Verbeelding Bookclub: December boek 11 71 Dec 23, 2016 01:04AM
کودکان و نوجوانان: ماتیلدا 1 2 Dec 17, 2016 04:11AM
  • Minoes
  • Het Gulden Vlies van Thule (De Toekomsttrilogie, #3)
  • Madicken dan Lisabet
  • Koning van Katoren (Katoren, #1)
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Just as Long as We're Together
  • Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher (Magic Shop, #2)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School #3)
  • Het ei van oom Trotter
  • The Mystery of the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #4)
  • And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street
  • Mandy
  • Half Magic (Tales of Magic, #1)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Island of the Aunts

More about Roald Dahl...

“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 1007 likes
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 927 likes