Start by marking “Kilobyte Couture: Geek Chic Jewelry to Make from Easy-to-Find Computer Components” as Want to Read:

Let your geek flag fly with 25 jewelry projects made from . . . wow, computer components?!

• It’s techie, it’s indie . . . and it’s all DIY

• Resistors, capacitors, head on down to Radio Shack!

• Jewelry and accessories like keychains, ID chains, Wii charms

Kilobyte Couture is all about thinking outside the box by using things meant to be inside the box—the computer box, that
Published April 14th 2009 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about Kilobyte Couture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kilobyte Couture

MissM
Jan 04, 2010 MissM rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
*March 12, 2009*
I can't believe I won the copy for this here on goodreads! I look forward to receiving it and reading it. Winning this book is rather ironic since I'm a jewelry designer and it's definitely a topic of interest for me!

*March 17, 2009*
Ok, I've received the book and had a chance to leaf through it. First of all, congrats to the author for her first book. It looks very nice, with bright, clear photographs and nice typesetting.

I've been a jewelry designer for about five years now, so
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
When I was in high school, radio shack actually sold radio components in its stores and my best friend and I decided to make jewelry out of it. There was little to choose from as to color and types of components. Apparently the selection hasn't changed a whole lot. There are more colors, but I suspect there were always more available via mail order even back then. It's not like it was the dark ages...

The designs in here aren't particularly inspired but if you've never thought about using resisto
BAYA Librarian
Jul 30, 2010 BAYA Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, diy, crafty
“Geek chic is a movement that focuses on taking uncool or ‘nerdy’ things and making them 100% cute.” Author Brittany Forks claims her geekdom while claiming that she grew up reading Seventeen as well. She has provided a range of easy to hard projects, with thoughtful names and descriptions, in a beautifully arranged, easy to digest book. Included is a parts breakdown, a section on tips for finding components for creations, and suggestions for how to make each project your own. I would recommend ...more
Kate
Dec 13, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed in this book as I was looking to actually take apart old computers to use as a way of upcycling, but the authors discourage this due to poisonous compounds used when fusing together computer parts. They suggest buying the parts to use for jewelry at a computer store, which sort of defeats the purpose. I thought many of the pieces were cute but I will never go to a computer store to buy those parts.
Mortira
Jan 17, 2013 Mortira rated it really liked it
Shelves: ptah
The projects in Kilobyte Couture are cute, simple, and explained in detail, which makes this book perfect for beginners. There are a wide variety of designs to try, and some of the more unusual projects are actually quite appealing. Advanced beaders will likely be bored with the repitition of techniques and materials throughout the book, though.
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2012
Elaina
Elaina rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2009
Susan B.
Susan B. rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Dana
Sep 04, 2009 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: young_adult
for BAYA review
Brittany
Jul 22, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Yvonne
Jun 07, 2011 Yvonne rated it liked it
Great ideas for recycling tiny computer parts!
Shade Emry
Shade Emry rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2011
Maria Waltner
Maria Waltner rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Kerrilynn
Kerrilynn marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2008
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2009
Jennifer Defoy
Jennifer Defoy marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2009
Terrea
Terrea marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2009
Z
Z marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2009
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2009
Gilly
Gilly marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2009
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2009
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2009
vicki_girl
vicki_girl marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2016
Heather S.
Heather S. marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2009
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2009
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2009
Craftophile
Craftophile marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2009
Jj
Jj marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2009
Kayla
Kayla added it
Sep 17, 2010
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014