Start by marking “Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons” as Want to Read:
Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons

Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons (Cookies)

From the beloved New York Times bestselling author of I Wish You More, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, this scrumptious follow-up to the bestselling Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons captures the real spirit of the Christmas season. Makes a thoughtful gift, especially accompanied with some home-baked cookies.

From making the same kind of cookies at the same time each year (tradition) t
Published September 30th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Cookies

The Bougie Twins
Dec 10, 2014 The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Heidi-Marie
Maybe it's because this one has a holiday theme, or maybe it's because I make cookies around Christmas for my neighbors and co-workers, or maybe it is because I can embrace sweetness so much more now, but this was my favorite of Rosenthal's cookie books. I liked the gentleness and sweetness of the illustrations. Liked seeing the additions of elves, dancing bunnies, a giraffe. And I liked the various aspects one may experience not just at the holidays in actions and emotions. Very good. Probably ...more
Heather
Jun 28, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
25 months - O really loves this book and the original one as well. Heck it's about cookies and it has exceptionally cute pictures. The vocabulary learned in these book seems as though it would be over her head but she's seems very interested in their meaning. I've also heard her use more than one of these big concept words in her daily life! Blows me away! Sometimes when we read this book I will add a bit more explanation or reword things in a way that I think O will understand. It's a great dis ...more
Mrs. Riding
Dec 21, 2008 Mrs. Riding rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
I'm very grateful to my friend for sharing this book. I immediately purchased a copy and prepared my enhanced classroom lesson over the weekend to begin sharing the first Monday in December. I loved the book more each time I shared it with another class. The beautiful words, many of which are part of our Community of Caring words for this year, were accompanied by beautiful pictures. These words and pictures led to some delightful discussions with my students. I was also introduced to her other ...more
Phoenix
Jan 06, 2014 Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: favorites
Just a great book with simple definitions and beautiful and engaging illustrations! I loved reading this book to my daughter this fall. I had to even make a request to have it delivered to library nearest me because it was a part of my local library. Especially seeing how my daughter tried to use the vocabulary in her conversations...that is priceless! I'll definitely hunt down a copy to add to our personal library.
Shelli
Sep 18, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
This is the second in the "Bite-Size" lesson books by Amy Rosenthal that I have read. Picture books that encourage vocabulary expansion and variety like this one always have a special place in my heart. Christmas Cookies does just that while also giving sprinkles of ethics such as: tradition, appreciation, charity, responsibility, moderation and perseverance. This would be a wonderful book to share with early elementary age students or younger, and a great gift for the holiday season.
Kathryn
Jun 25, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Another delightful book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Her stories have heart felt messages, in this particular book using Christmas cookies. My favorite is:

"Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have."

Jane Dyer's illustrations are whimsical and sweet, a world where we all want to live.
Alexis Levine
Jan 16, 2012 Alexis Levine rated it really liked it
Shelves: exe-3601, religion
Christmas cookies is a super cute book. Each page has one larger vocabulary word on the page in bold letters followed by an example of the word in reference to the story. This book would be great to read around Christmas time, of course. I really like how this book incorporates larger words that indirectly teach children the meaning through the text.
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
Although this book was originally written in 2008 they use illustrations such that it appears it was written in the 1950's or so giving it a nostalgic feeling to it. It is sort of a dictionary of sorts of all emotions that go along with the Christmas holiday. Like tradition, gratitude, appreciative etc. All associated with baking cookies.
Jennifer (sullivan)
Apr 28, 2011 Jennifer (sullivan) rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture Book/Non-Fiction

I really enjoyed this book and I think most young boys ans girls ill enjoy it too. You learn life lessons which is always good and you also learn the meaning of different words while baking Christmas Cookies.; it can't get much better than that! I really liked the illustrations too.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 Trish rated it liked it
Fiction; Older Children/Christmas
3 stars

I wanted to like this more than I did. I had a different idea of what these "lessons" would be. I expected a picture book geared towards young children but it really isn't.

Basically, this book is page by page of word + definition. It is okay if your child is old enough to understand such terminology but it seems like something for kids much older.
Angie
Oct 06, 2009 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
So beautiful. Not sure whether to mark this a "picture" book or not ... there are lovely pictures. But the word definitions are what "makes" the book for me. My favorite is probably the one about eating more than zero cookies but less than too many. Can't remember what that was ... restraint? Anyway. Reminded me of my very favorite in all the world Frog and Toad story.
Apr 27, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Loved this addition to the "Cookie" series. Each word ties well with the act of baking Christmas cookies and the words chosen define "Christmas spirit." I liked "Tradition means each year at the same time we make the same cookies and wear our special matching aprons."
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 17, 2016 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Vocabulary book with sentence definitions associated with holiday cookies.
Words include things like "Anticipation", "Tradition", and "Charitable".

Lots of nostalgia and encouragement to share your bounty with others.
Jackie
Nov 14, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
Wonderfully warm and deliciously enticing, these bite-size lessons have everything to do with understanding life's most precious moments, whether good or bad, without all the calories, of course. Christmas hopes and winter dreams are encapsulated in beautifully illustrated vignettes.
Laura G
Oct 07, 2015 Laura G rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Still an amazing approach to unpacking these big words/ideas, but I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series, maybe because I have my own slightly different thoughts about important words like joy and peace.
Meno-gal
Jan 15, 2010 Meno-gal rated it it was amazing
One of our favorites!
Kelly
The illustrations are cozy. I like the different recipe in the back of this book and the big words are appropriate for older children for vocab lists or just reading and learning.
Mary
Nov 20, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Very sweet illustrations with a child-friendly introduction to some bigger words and concepts; e.g., frustration, perseverance, hope.
Trish
Dec 18, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2016
This is a good book for kids to learn about feelings. Grades K and up.
Melissa
Dec 20, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A great addition to a classroom. It helps to teach kids some of the big words in life such as anticipation, compassionate, content, etc.
Olson Family Matters
Feb 17, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-christmas
Madelyn and I love the "Cookies" series. It is a lot of fun to talk about the meaning of the words.
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, book, christmas
I liked the way the author introduced abstract vocabulary such as "prosperity" and "charitable" and defined them in concrete ways that young children can understand. A great vocabulary developer!
Aidyle
Dec 04, 2015 Aidyle rated it really liked it
Works well if read to grades 2-4, not pre-K to 1.
Danette
Dec 10, 2016 Danette rated it liked it
Read with Naomi.

Sweet.
Josette
Dec 05, 2008 Josette rated it liked it
Learn new vocabulary words while you read!
Diane Marsh
Jan 05, 2011 Diane Marsh rated it it was amazing
The lessons go beyond making cookies. I had to buy my own copy and some for gifts.
Jackie
A delightful holiday vocabulary lesson with charming illustrations by Jane Dyer. There's even a recipe for Christmas Cookies at the very end :)
Marianne
Mar 03, 2010 Marianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful job of illustrating the true meaning of Christmas. It explains some really big words in ways kids can understand them by using the process of making cookies as an example.
Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I add a Christmas book to our family collection every year, and I do believe I've found my 2008 book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Night Tree
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • An Orange for Frankie

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...

Cookies (4 books)
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
  • Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
  • One Smart Cookie: Bite-Size Lessons for the School Years and Beyond

“Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have.” 2 likes