Start by marking “Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons” as Want to Read:
Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons

Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons (Cookies)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  33 reviews
This scrumptious follow-up to the bestselling Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons captures the spirit of the holiday season. From making the same kind of cookies at the same time each year (tradition) to decorating them with lots of sprinkles (celebrate), youngsters will gobble up vocabulary words and holiday lessons in this charming dictionary of sorts.

Amy Krouse Rosenthal's
Published September 30th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Cookies

Heather
25 months - O really loves this book and the original one as well. Heck it's about cookies and it has exceptionally cute pictures. The vocabulary learned in these book seems as though it would be over her head but she's seems very interested in their meaning. I've also heard her use more than one of these big concept words in her daily life! Blows me away! Sometimes when we read this book I will add a bit more explanation or reword things in a way that I think O will understand. It's a great dis ...more
Phoenix
Jan 06, 2014 Phoenix rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: favorites
Just a great book with simple definitions and beautiful and engaging illustrations! I loved reading this book to my daughter this fall. I had to even make a request to have it delivered to library nearest me because it was a part of my local library. Especially seeing how my daughter tried to use the vocabulary in her conversations...that is priceless! I'll definitely hunt down a copy to add to our personal library.
Mrs. Riding
I'm very grateful to my friend for sharing this book. I immediately purchased a copy and prepared my enhanced classroom lesson over the weekend to begin sharing the first Monday in December. I loved the book more each time I shared it with another class. The beautiful words, many of which are part of our Community of Caring words for this year, were accompanied by beautiful pictures. These words and pictures led to some delightful discussions with my students. I was also introduced to her other ...more
Shelli
This is the second in the "Bite-Size" lesson books by Amy Rosenthal that I have read. Picture books that encourage vocabulary expansion and variety like this one always have a special place in my heart. Christmas Cookies does just that while also giving sprinkles of ethics such as: tradition, appreciation, charity, responsibility, moderation and perseverance. This would be a wonderful book to share with early elementary age students or younger, and a great gift for the holiday season.
Kathryn
Another delightful book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Her stories have heart felt messages, in this particular book using Christmas cookies. My favorite is:

"Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have."

Jane Dyer's illustrations are whimsical and sweet, a world where we all want to live.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 Trish rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Fiction; Older Children/Christmas
3 stars

I wanted to like this more than I did. I had a different idea of what these "lessons" would be. I expected a picture book geared towards young children but it really isn't.

Basically, this book is page by page of word + definition. It is okay if your child is old enough to understand such terminology but it seems like something for kids much older.
Angie
So beautiful. Not sure whether to mark this a "picture" book or not ... there are lovely pictures. But the word definitions are what "makes" the book for me. My favorite is probably the one about eating more than zero cookies but less than too many. Can't remember what that was ... restraint? Anyway. Reminded me of my very favorite in all the world Frog and Toad story.
Alexis Levine
Christmas cookies is a super cute book. Each page has one larger vocabulary word on the page in bold letters followed by an example of the word in reference to the story. This book would be great to read around Christmas time, of course. I really like how this book incorporates larger words that indirectly teach children the meaning through the text.
Jennifer (sullivan)
Genre: Picture Book/Non-Fiction

I really enjoyed this book and I think most young boys ans girls ill enjoy it too. You learn life lessons which is always good and you also learn the meaning of different words while baking Christmas Cookies.; it can't get much better than that! I really liked the illustrations too.
Jackie
Wonderfully warm and deliciously enticing, these bite-size lessons have everything to do with understanding life's most precious moments, whether good or bad, without all the calories, of course. Christmas hopes and winter dreams are encapsulated in beautifully illustrated vignettes.
Loved this addition to the "Cookie" series. Each word ties well with the act of baking Christmas cookies and the words chosen define "Christmas spirit." I liked "Tradition means each year at the same time we make the same cookies and wear our special matching aprons."
Kelly
The illustrations are cozy. I like the different recipe in the back of this book and the big words are appropriate for older children for vocab lists or just reading and learning.
Marianne
Beautiful job of illustrating the true meaning of Christmas. It explains some really big words in ways kids can understand them by using the process of making cookies as an example.
Kristel
The format is great - word and definition / lesson in small bite size portions. Great springboard for discussion with children about everyday values especially at Christmas time.
Tara
A lovely way to introduce vocabulary words often heard around the holidays, such as "tradition", "charitable", and "joy". A recipe for Christmas cookies is included.
Heloyce
Once again, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, has delivered small morsels of Christmas tradition, with the simple artwork of Jane Dyer. How can you miss? It's all about cookies!!
Jackie
A delightful holiday vocabulary lesson with charming illustrations by Jane Dyer. There's even a recipe for Christmas Cookies at the very end :)
Deirdre Keating
Sep 23, 2008 Deirdre Keating marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
Sounds like a fantasy pairing---one of my favorite illustrators, Jane Dryer, with Rosenthal, a funny and endearing writer. Glad to learn of it!
Melissa
A great addition to a classroom. It helps to teach kids some of the big words in life such as anticipation, compassionate, content, etc.
Mary
Very sweet illustrations with a child-friendly introduction to some bigger words and concepts; e.g., frustration, perseverance, hope.
Mariana
Dec 03, 2012 Mariana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms and little kids
Really cute book. It explains all the words we use in a cute, yummy way. My daughter loved the animals that were included in it.
Leslie
Evokes wonderful memories of making Christmas cookies with my boys for family, friends and teachers. A lovely book.
Olson Family Matters
Madelyn and I love the "Cookies" series. It is a lot of fun to talk about the meaning of the words.
Elizabeth
I add a Christmas book to our family collection every year, and I do believe I've found my 2008 book.
Marisela Flores-Mayor
I love the concept and the illustrations, but I found the anthropomorphic animals creepy!
Joe
I love most of her books, but for some reason this one didn't do anything for me.
Diane Marsh
The lessons go beyond making cookies. I had to buy my own copy and some for gifts.
Stephanie
Very sweet for the holidays. I like this one as much as the original "Cookies".
Evelyn Jessica
It's good, but so short...more appropriate for children 1-4 years old.
Josette
Learn new vocabulary words while you read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Christmas Tree for Pyn
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...
Duck! Rabbit! Little Pea Exclamation Mark Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Little Hoot

“Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have.” 0 likes