Start by marking “Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This is the first sock knitting book devoted to teaching the simple mysteries of two-circular-needle-sock-knitting, a vastly more efficient and easier method which is rapidly gaining converts. Eleven original designs, clearly worded instructions, photographs, charts, a section on translating traditional patterns to the two-circular method, and abundant tips and tricks have ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Passing Paws Pr (first published July 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles

Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 16, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: sock knitters
For those who have never before knitted a sock, this is a good way to begin. If you can knit and purl, you can do this. For those sock knitters unfamiliar with the two circular needles technique of knitting a tube, this is the one book you'll need.

I love the author's humor; no other sock pattern I've seen includes the instruction: "Make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch...." or this "Please repeat it back to yourself so you don't forget." or this "When you calm down...buy a t
Maria
I used this book's Simple Sock pattern to teach myself how to knit socks. The book wasn't very good at providing detailed instructions. I had to spend lots of time getting outside help and watching knitting videos online. I think the book is geared to a more experienced knitter since it is mostly patterns. I would not recommend it for beginners who don't have additional help/guidance on learning to knit socks.
Miss Mouse
I bought this book some years ago and promptly put in on my bookshelves without doing much more than a one time flip through. I was working on a pair of socks (on US#0 DPNs)that were to be a Chirstmas present. They were taking forever, so I thought I'd pull this book out and perhaps using the 2-circ method would be a faster knit. I'm so glad I did! I'm totally hooked on knitting socks with two circular needles! It is indeed faster for me, and now that I have one pair completed with this method, ...more
Lily
This book contains a total of 4 pages of actual instruction on the technique. The rest of the book is patterns.

That is:
1. one page of written instruction
2. Two pages containing a grand total of 6 black and white pictures.
3. one page on translating regular patterns into something that uses the technique

My purpose in purchasing a book to learn a technique is not to gather more patterns.

Yet another knitting book that is widely overrated.

Martha
I used the technique and liked it, but then I discovered the Magic Loop technique that uses only one circular needle. There might be reasons to use two circulars, but if so I don't know what they are. It's a lot less expensive to buy one long circular needle for each project, and using two gets a little awkward at times.

This book does have some cute patterns and a few tips. But at $16.95, it's way overpriced for a 44-page booklet.
Nancy
Jun 09, 2013 Nancy added it
Shelves: knitting
I've finally figured this out. I have to say that only through experience and the help of Sensational Knitted Socks made this book make sense. I just don't visualize with her style of writing -- she's wordy and touchy-feely. I don't need that. I need clear instructions. Period.
Kristine
I was just mostly curious what this technique involved, and how you worked with 2 circs for making socks. I do enjoy circular needles in general, but this technique doesn't look a LOT simpler than just using dpns. Since I own dpns already and no small circular tips, I'll probably continue on with the way I'm doing already, but it's nice to understand how this works.

There are some nice patterns in here, and the lace pattern on the leg of the Columbine Peak is very similar to the lace I did on my
Jan
This book was pressed upon me as THE book to use to learn to knit socks. Indeed, I was able to learn from this book, but I certainly had to make many trips to the computer to search for help with the instructions on-line, with video demonstrations to go with it. Perhaps I needed a different book FIRST, but I am glad I learned to knit socks this way. Can't imagine making them any other way!
Brooks Jones
This is my go-to sock book. After getting this, I've never gone back to DPNs for socks. I love the author's conversational style, and the first pattern is written out in much detail to get you started on using two circular needles for socks. My copy of this book has a permanent home in my most-used knitting bag, because I'm always working on a pair of socks at any given time. I'd recommend this book for anyone who wants to knit socks, even if you've never tried it before.
Kathy
This book is directed to the more experienced sock knitter. There were not enough illustrations for me, a novice, to simply understand how to knit socks on circular needles. I would also not even classify this book as a book; it's more of a pamphlet workbook: only 44 pages long and the appendix was 4 of those pages!
Heywu
This is a great book to read if you want to knit socks from the top down with circular needles. The simple socks in 3 sizes is a great place to start. Once you get the hang of knitting socks, then there are several books that have great patterns and the images are in color.
Lee
This is a fantastic book and it's how I learned to knit socks. i would recommend this to anyone who wants to learn to knit socks or how to knit on 2 circulars. Excellent...
Tabitha Beck
I love Cat Bordhi usually. I am not dissing the book itself.
It simply is not what I want or need at this time. I want to knit socks from the toe up, not the cuff down.
Ann Johnson Davis
I know I'm supposed to love this method for socks, but I don't. Prefer my dpns. I am glad to have the book, and if you love this method, it's well written.
Linda
Some good patterns here. The author's tone - "I was the first person ever to think of this EVER!" - can be annoying, but the patterns are worthwhile.
Laurie Traverse
If you're a person that gets that first sock done and then loses interest this book will help you to end up with that ever elusive 'pair' of socks!
Rosemary
borrowed from Mary for circular sock pattern
Helen
Creative sock knitting! Differently abled socks.
Christine
This is the only way I knit socks!
Cindy
Aug 22, 2009 Cindy added it
Excellent Sock book
Anita
Apr 17, 2009 Anita added it
Fabulous!
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop Book
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave