Start by marking “Bye Bye Baby” as Want to Read:
Bye Bye Baby

Bye Bye Baby

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published September 5th 1991 by Mammoth (first published October 2nd 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Bye Bye Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bye Bye Baby

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussFour is a little, Four is a LOT by Cheska KomissarWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffAre You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
Books for four-year-old children
294th out of 346 books — 240 voters
Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet AhlbergThe Baby's Catalogue by Janet AhlbergThe Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters by Janet AhlbergThe Jolly Christmas Postman by Janet AhlbergThe Jolly Pocket Postman by Janet Ahlberg
Best of Janet Ahlberg
20th out of 24 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Odd but pleasant little book about a solitary baby who decides that he is really too young to be doing his own cooking and cleaning and sets out in search of this unknown figure, a "mother". Along the way he collects various non-mothers, including a cat, a sentient wind-up chicken, and an uncle.

Slightly less surreal than it sounds, but still fairly odd as old picture books go.
Irais Elvira
El tema es bastante extraño pero me gustó especialmente porque Valeria le puso atención y no cualquier libro logra que se quede quieta escuchando el cuento y no le este cambiando la página por que se aburre.
By far my favourite book as a child and one which I think every child should own. I still have my tattered copy and will occasionally read it again and remember the times it was read to me as a child. It presents themes that are very adult in a very child-friendly way, namely those relating to the pitfalls of a parentless childhood. Janet and Alan Ahlberg wrote and illustrated some of my favourite books and for this I thank them.
Michele Brenton
I bought this book to read to my young son about fifteen years ago.
I ended up reading it to myself over and over.
It is lovely, slightly sinister and leaves you considering what happens next and how it could all have gone hideously wrong but didn't.
A work of genius with extremely cute pictures.
The one of him bringing himself a warm drink at bedtime is adorable.
Janet and Allan Ahlberg succeed again with this sweet and touching tale about a very clever, independent baby. Despite being able to do many things by himself, there comes a time when amidst all the excitement of being very 'grown up', babies want nothing more to then to find their mummy.
This is a story loved by parents and children alike. It's one of those few books I still enjoy as an adult. Aimed primarily at younger children, this book has lovely illustrations containing large, easy to read
Jul 16, 2015 Heila added it
Shelves: children-s
This is an odd premise to be honest -- a baby lives on it's own, and then sets out to find a mommy -- and I wasn't sure I'd like it. But it ended up working for me, and partly because of the affectionate, softly humorous, somewhat messy illustrations.
Paul Jackson
The story begins with a sad baby who is really sad because he has no mummy and therefore sets of to try and find one. Along the way he mneets various characters including a cat, a teddy, a clockwork hen and an uncle who do not want to be his mummy but who offer to help him on his quest to find a mummy. Eventually the baby finds a women who has no children and agrees to be his mummy. This leads to all the characters having tea together and reading a story, however the story is about a baby who ha ...more
The idea of this story freaked me out. Finding a cat, a teddy bear and all, that was ok, even finding an uncle, but finding a mom and a dad was weird. If it has been obvious that they all were a family that might have been different.
Kate B
Poor baby, all on his own, has to feed and bath himself, even change his own nappy. One day he decides he's too young for all this and sets off to find himself a Mummy.
One of my favorite books when I was a little girl. :]
Lesley marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Vicky marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Chris added it
Jul 01, 2015
Guisela Coronado
Guisela Coronado marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Enyth Collings
Enyth Collings marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Sanne marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years
More about Janet Ahlberg...
Each Peach Pear Plum The Jolly Postman, or Other People's Letters Peek-a-Boo Burglar Bill The Jolly Christmas Postman