Start by marking “The Last Safe Place on Earth” as Want to Read:

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Todd, 15, thinks life in the quality community of Walden Woods is perfect, until Laurel, his dream girl, comes to babysit for his sister and reveals the forces of fundamentalism and censorship at work in the town.A provocative new novel by a highly honored author that speaks to today's issues of censorship and fundamentalism.

"A highly topical tale"-- "Publishers Weekly"

"As...more
Published December 13th 2005 by Laurel Leaf Library (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Safe Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Safe Place on Earth

Salvaged by Stefne MillerRebels by Accident by Patricia DunnArana's Visitor by Julie RollinsVashua's Messenger by Julie RollinsBlackwell's Wrath by Julie Rollins
YA Spiritual & Religious Novels
79th out of 176 books — 99 voters
Lamb by Christopher MooreCairo by G. Willow WilsonPeace, Love, and Baby Ducks by Lauren MyracleThe Unlikely Disciple by Kevin RooseMadapple by Christina Meldrum
Reading Rants! Gods and Monsters
10th out of 17 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Vsw
Jun 27, 2008 Vsw rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teachers who might excerpt selections to use to talk about censorship
Recommended to Vsw by: Johnson (2006) textbook
I worry a little about posting this as my first contribution to our class discussion because, in general, I think that reviews should be "critical" in the balanced sense of the word. This is hard when you didn't enjoy the book and you had concerns about its message!

I read The Last Safe Place on Earth because it was described in our textbook (p. 203) as a good book to use to help students think about issues of fundamentalism and censorship. I thought this might be a book that people in our class...more
Brayden
I am done reading the book, The Last Safe Place on Earth. I gave this book 4 stars. It had 161 pages in it. The author of the book was Richard Peck. I thought this book was trilling and unpredictable. My favorite part of the book was when a boy named Billy hur this mom. She had to go to the hospital. Their dad wasn't homebwcause he was looking for a job. I think this book is good for kids that like to read mystery/adventure books.
Karen
Strictly on a bell curve, in comparison to other Richard Peck books, this deserves only three stars. The first half of the book depicts a family who has moved to a newer, more upscale neighborhood with the goal of finding a safer place for the children and a better school. Based on appearances alone, the family seems to have accomplished those goals. However, just after midway in the book, the appearances begin to unravel to show the underlying and unhappy truth. The book addresses insidious pre...more
Adi Muhtarevic
I had just finished "The Last Safe Place On Earth" and I thought it was okay. It is about a boy named Todd that is 15 years old and he think Walden Woods is a really nice place to live. In the book it is based around Halloween, during this time many people's houses were getting vandalized. Also many planned car crashes were happening plus people were dying and getting sick, it was ridiculous. Then one night Todd was driving home and spots a random person walking in the street. Todd pulled up nex...more
kaitlin ♥
This book is one of the best I have ever read.Its based around the months before and after Halloween.Many things start to happen peoples houses are getting vandilized and many people are dying.People are dying from planned car wrecks and just getting really sick.Well one night when Todd was driving home with his dad he sees someone walking along the street.He pulls over and figures out it was his friend C.E. he asked C.E. what he was doing out so late his response was im walking off my dinner.So...more
Leah
Drab. Dull. Daft. Not the best adjectives for book characters. Yet I found myself goading my spirit into reading this one - just to finish it - just to get to that point where surely it must turn the corner, cross over into the light, do something worthy of a recommendation. Instead the plot twisted far too late into the pages and in a form that was at best contrived and completely missed the beat. The lead-up was, quite simply, boring. The characters completely without attachment. The plot miss...more
Kathleen
Aug 10, 2007 Kathleen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mostly MS or early HS
At first I thought this book was a slog, not nearly as entertaining as some of Peck's other books that I've read. But as I got into it, I really began to appreciate its content much more. The story deals with one family's suburban experience with censorship, intolerance (and discrimination), fear and fundamentalism. A good literary intro for these topics in classroom discussion. Peck's language is richly descriptive and paints a believable story--nothing too extraordinary--and the stakes for the...more
Shaya
I didn't particularly like this book. The characters seemed very one-dimensional. It dealt with a family that moves to a "safe" suburban town. Some memebers of the town start protesting certain books that are read in the high school. The group has strong religous beliefs about the devil and don't want any books read that even question that Christianity is the only true religion. One theme of the book is that there are problems everywhere.

I've read A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago a...more
Jaja
Joey Mlejnek
The Last Safe Place on Earth
Todd is a normal high school student but when his dad was promoted from his job they had to move so they moved to a nice little quiet town. Todd was on the swim team his older sister was on the newspaper editor and his little sister was still in second grade. Todd finds the perfect girl she’s quiet mysterious and his little sister’s baby sitter at Todd’s point of view beautiful. Then something weird happens something that will change everything.

Aditya /
Initially, I thought this book was deplorable. However, as you read in further, you find that the author has some well written lines here and there, and further develops their style for writing what is going on in the protagonists mind. The characters have depth. The story relays real life with nostalgia, realism, and emotion. The intricacy of the characters, the small details and cultural refernces, and the capriciousness of the plot make this an excellent book.
Paulette
Wesley read this book at school and commented how weird but good it was so I requested it from the library. Also, I read another Richard Peck book to Wesley when he was younger and we both loved it. Anyway this is a bold topic for a kid book. Themes--censorship, religions that frightened children with tales of evil forces, alcoholism, coming of age stuff. This is a book for young folks but provides great topics for a family or classroom.
Misty
This was a gracefully told story of how easily well-meaning individuals can move to take away our Constitutional freedoms. At first, it all seems remote and separate, just a concept being taught in Todd Tobin's social studies class, until the danger slips into the Tobin household, via an invited guest who seemed innocent on the outside.
Kayli
Richard Peck has a set of books that are teach-teens-a-lesson, and this is one of them. They're not nearly as good as some of his others, but I thought this one was actually quite good for that genre. I got a little freaked out when you find out what the babysitter was teaching the little sister. Anyway, quick interesting read.
Megan Franks
This book touches on a lot of topics: censorship, hypocrisy, freedom of religion, domestic abuse, etc. While it's not the most fantastic piece of literature I've ever read, we are going to use it for our high school book club because it should be an excellent discussion starter.
Elizabeth
Wesley read this for AR points and mentioned that I might be interested in it because it had crazy church people in it. After reading it, definitely crazy church people in it. It's a short story at about a 4th-5th grade reading level. Interesting to say the least.
Freckmint
It was amazing! it was unbelievable. has a great theme, really deep, and is written really well. but it sorta portrays christians in a bad light which makes me sad but this is only if you are like a really shallow person (not the best word choosing there ^shallow)
Smoakes
Another riveting Richard Peck YA novel. He can make the most mundane things terrifying and tense. This rates, for me, up with Secrets of the Shopping Mall and Ghosts That I Have Been--so much better, IMO, than the stuff he's been winning awards for lately.
Tara
An interesting premise, and as always I enjoyed Peck's writing style, but the conclusion turned out to be a little bit freaky. Maybe being paranoid is a good thing... Anyway, not my favorite by Peck, though still ok.
Noah Zimmerer
This wasn't my type of book it was pretty dull and I could not relate to it is was like they were trying not to keep you attention I would not recommend this book to anyone unless you like to be bored while you read.
DaNette
I enjoyed the message in this book that there is no safe place on earth. No matter what censorship is taking place, the only way we can protect our families is by sticking together.
Carrie
A fairly chilling story about censorship and religious extremism, but overall, the disconnect and lack of community in a suburban neighborhood. It was good stuff.
Kristin Pierce
This is a great book dealing with censorship. It is very timely and will interest both boys and girls alike.
Bianca Muniz
HIS LIFE IS COMING DOWN BUT WELL YOU NEED TO KEEP ON MIVING.
Angelackb
A younger beginning of a Bradbury novel.
Gus Ussery
I did not like this book.
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Pd 1/2
Pd 1/2 is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard...more
More about Richard Peck...
A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts The River Between Us A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)