Start by marking “Here Lies the Librarian” as Want to Read:
Here Lies the Librarian

Here Lies the Librarian

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,816 Ratings  ·  497 Reviews
Peewee idolizes Jake, a big brother whose dreams of auto mechanic glory are fueled by the hard road coming to link their Indiana town and futures with the twentieth century. And motoring down the road comes Irene Ridpath, a young librarian with plans to astonish them all and turn Peewee’s life upside down.This novel, with its quirky characters, folksy setting, classic ...more
Published April 20th 2006 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Here Lies the Librarian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Lies the Librarian

Kimberly
Jun 13, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: my mother
This is a great little book that I breezed through very quickly. It's an historical fiction set in early 20th century USA, when the automobile was just beginning to make its mark. After the old librarian dies in a twister - "Heaven stamped her overdue" - four new librarians from Butler University show up to take her place and bring some excitement to the town. The story is narrated by 8th grader Peewee McGrath and is set in a rural town in Indiana, a place so small it doesn't even have its own ...more
Jim
Oct 09, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here Lies the Librarian, by author Richard Peck, is a coming-of-age young readers story set in rural 1914 Indiana, where women's suffrage and the brass (Edwardian) era of automobiles were the real cat's meow. So if you enjoy the literary combination of women's lib' and racing lore then this book will blow your freaking mind! If you don't find that tour-de-force of genre mixing interesting, well... too bad! Because that's what you get in this thrilling novel!

Peewee McGrath is a 14 year old tom-bo
Steve
Jan 02, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers of any age
Set in pre-WWI rural Indiana, this is the tale of a small town’s pair of parentless youngsters, older brother Jake, in his older teens, taking care of his younger sibling, Peewee. Jake has an automobile service business in a ramshackle shack not from the home he shares with Peewee. Peewee helps in the garage, too, and while their lack of parents is alluded to in a few wistful remembrances of the past, it is not explained in any detail. From a neighboring house, the owners of the former livery ...more
Nicole
Oct 16, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tomboys...and well, anyone
Typical Peck. By which I mean, Typical Greatness. No one pulls off the middle-grade deadpan humor quite like Peck. For example, as the neighbors gather in the storm cellar during a tornado, the protagonist states that at least this time the Colonel (an elderly adle-minded man) was wearing pants. This simple line is sandwiched in with all the rest of the sentences, given no special attention, and yet instantly calls to mind hysterical images of pantless old men flying around in a twister. ...more
Patricia
May 29, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Richard Peck loves librarians. Librarians love Richard Peck. I think that he wrote this book to dispel the notion that all librarians are mean, dowdy, and old. That description applies to the old librarian whose grave is shown on the cover (with a gravestone that says Shh!).

A small town in Indiana is shamed into hiring a new librarian, and ends up hiring three -- they come as a package deal with the money that will pay for them. These three librarians are educated, kind, and beautiful, and they
Rachel Marie
Dec 04, 2014 Rachel Marie rated it it was ok
Here Lies the Librarian Book Review This is a bizarre little book and I think the title is very misleading. It has very little to do with librarians and the library but much more about a young girl wanting to be like her older brother.

Peewee has always wanted to be just like her older brother Jack. So much so that people sometimes mistake her as a boy. They run their own auto garage and are ready to become mechanics. Then the new librarian comes to town and their lives are forever changed.

Overal
Jenne
Jul 28, 2010 Jenne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teens, reviewed
From the Newbery award winning author of “A Year Down Under”, comes an uproariously funny tale of classic automobiles, librarians and small town life.

Meet Peewee (Eleanor McGrath) a 14 year old stubborn, courageous and steadfast tomboy. She and her adored brother Jake run a struggling gas station "way out in the weeds." that rivals the bigger, wealthier and underhanded Kirby establishment. All Peewee wants is to work on cars. Jake has big dreams though, and not even a few robberies and set backs
Annette
Apr 28, 2016 Annette rated it liked it
A sweet, simple and funny book. This one about automobiles, Indiana and independent females in 1914.
Rebecca McNutt
Quite a strange story, but I really enjoyed reading it. With its 20th Century nostalgia and witty humor, it's definitely unforgettable.
Karen GoatKeeper
Jun 03, 2015 Karen GoatKeeper rated it it was amazing
Exit Miss Dietz, librarian, found under the card catalog with cards clutched in her cold hand. Enter four newly graduated sorority sisters librarians in a little rural town in 1914, a town that wonders whether or not it can afford to pay for a library let alone a librarian.
Meet Peewee and Jake, orphans and proprietors of a garage fixing flats and engines for those driving by who have problems on the rutted rugged dirt roads. Except Peewee is Eleanor and 14, wanting to stay Peewee but wishing to
Mary Karlee
Jan 16, 2009 Mary Karlee rated it really liked it
Before I say anything about the book, I would like to say the title is quite misleading. This is hardly a horror story, but rather, great fiction about small town life watching their world evolve from horse and buggy to the "hard road" and the automobile. I loved the writing style and found the main character easy to identify with. I also liked that this book featured an era that I hadn't known a lot about. Fun story. :)
Vanessa
Jul 08, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
loved it! Always wanted to be a librarian as a kid. This book showed that librarians can be all that and a bag of chips!! ha ha. Little girl is a strong female character I loved to learn about. Enjoyed the "library song" and just the way Peewee talked about everything. Glad she had a good role model of a librarian. Hope that I can do that for children. read for summer reading program 2 hrs
Dawn
Sep 13, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Richard Peck as an author. Like his other books, this tale is funny, sometimes touching, and set in the rural midwest of the past. Peck is a master storyteller. His prose is delightful and there are some good lessons under the humor. The story also includes a surprising twist or two. This was a great one to listen to. I wasn't perfectly pleased with the ending, but it was still good.
Daria
Aug 09, 2012 Daria rated it it was amazing
From the first line of this book you are automatically hooked. This book takes you back into the world of ninteen fourteen Indiana when automobiles and horses shared the roads and women were seeking suffrage. The main character, Pee-wee, is a fabulous storyteller. She brings her world to life and makes it seem like yesterday, not almost a century ago. A good book for anyone who wants a quick read.
Wendy
Sep 01, 2009 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tracey, Flori, Heidi, Karyn, Rose, Jenny, Mom, Jahnelle, Judy, Kris, Catherine, Emily
LOVED it. What a great audiobook (or read-aloud)! Thoughtful, funny, feminist, and historically interesting. Having lived in Indiana for 3 years, I got a big kick out of the geographical references--Crawfordsville, Terre Haute, even Beanblossom (my single most favorite place name on the map!). I'm definitely going to read more Richard Peck!
Emma Jane
Mar 03, 2016 Emma Jane rated it really liked it
Another GREAT Richard Peck story. (By the way, it's officially official: Richard Peck is my new favorite author.) I loved the quirkiness and old-timey-ness of this one. And it's about librarians, so duh. The only thing that disappointed me is that I wish Jake would have married Irene instead of Grace. I think Irene deserved him. But that's just my opinion. ;-P
Denise R
Feb 20, 2013 Denise R rated it it was amazing
Perfect girl power book for 4th grade on up. This book kept me rolling with the funniest little comments scattered throughout. Set back in the days before women got the vote, this little book holds a big message. You can do whatever you put your mind to! All my girls are going to read this.
Stephanie Jewett
Historical fiction (set in Indiana just before WW1) centered on the changes brought to the life of a young girl by a couple of librarians new to her town (there are 4 new librarians, but we really only get to meet 2 of them). Gentle read by an author whose work never disappoints.
Cinnapatty
Feb 22, 2012 Cinnapatty rated it really liked it
This book pulls you in right from the first pages. The main character reminds me a lot of Flavia de Luce, only in a back woods, countrified, grease monkey kind of way. I was chuckling at the subtle wit and humor throughout this book. A great diversion.
Carol
Jun 29, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Another fun read.
Barb
May 06, 2016 Barb rated it really liked it
Very fun read; made me laugh and I loved that :)
Blaine DeSantis
A cute little YA book about a young girl and her brother in rural Indiana and the things that go on in their life, and the changes brought to their town by a group of young Librarians who arrive from Library Science School at Butler University. It is up an down in terms of plot and could use another 50 pages to properly wrap up the book since everything is rushed to a conclusion.
I found this book in a box of books I had in my home and read it because of and in honor of my daughter who next year
Colleen Spillers
Nov 15, 2016 Colleen Spillers rated it really liked it
Great fun read!
Beth
Oct 24, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: wobble, kidlit, historical
Completely not what I was expecting, but quite good.
Ian Wood
Oct 15, 2016 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing
No more free reviews on Amazon-owned Goodreads for which I get nothing in return! From this point on, my reviews will consist of a star rating (one or five, since books are either worth reading or not) and a link to the actual review on my own blog.
Lucinda Gibbons
Oct 08, 2016 Lucinda Gibbons rated it it was amazing
Richard Peck has a worrying style that is fun and poignant. Love his work.
AmniconStudio
Oct 03, 2016 AmniconStudio rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, children, 2016
I enjoyed the story very much. It was a nice peek into how life used to be, back before we were as smart and clever as we think we are now.
M.
May 31, 2011 M. rated it liked it
J.D.Staton
Oct 07, 2015 J.D.Staton rated it did not like it
An incredibly slow-paced book filled with plenty of grisly, macabre incidents, including multiple episodes of animal cruelty, dead bodies and trashed belongings strewn all over the place (thanks to a tornado which no one apparently wanted to clean up after), and ongoing criminal activities (e.g., auto theft, arson, auto vandalism/sabotage, business predation, miscellaneous property thefts) that go both unpunished and uncompensated for. These events occur within a setting of profound ...more
Eydie Aremburg
Jul 06, 2015 Eydie Aremburg rated it it was amazing
Category: Young Adult

Genre: Fiction

Sub-genre: Historical Fiction

Interest Level: Grade 6 – 8

Reading Level: Lexile 780; DRA 40 ; Guided Reading S

Brief description: Siblings Pewee and Jake McGrath live together after their parents’ death. Jake works on building up his automotive business and Pewee helps him out when possible.

Identify at least 2 characteristics of this genre(s) and sub-genre and discuss how they appear in your book: One characteristic of historical fiction is that the setting is a
Madison Mega-Mara...: #82 - Here Lies the Librarian 1 4 May 06, 2015 12:05AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 Here Lies the Librarian 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 01:10AM
USA Geography Cha...: Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 10:58AM
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • The Luck of the Buttons
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Born to Fly
  • The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had
  • Aleutian Sparrow
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Listening for Lions
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...

“But put two librarians' heads together, and mountains move.” 22 likes