Start by marking “People of the Dark” as Want to Read:
People of the Dark

People of the Dark

It's a nice house on a country road. Jack and Erika Harris expect to be happy there. — It doesn't matter that they're living near a deserted suburb where, years ago, murders and mutilations destroyed the residents. It doesn't matter -- until those that caused the deaths come back -- those that sprang from the earth, those that need, those that are not human.

The Harris's ni
Published March 28th 1988 by Tor Books (first published March 1985)

To ask other readers questions about People of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Dark

Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the Strange Seed series and quite possibly the strongest. It's also the one that's the easiest to read as a stand alone, although I strongly recommend reading the books in order. All the books in this series, all Wright's books really, have his unique and most excellent blend of eerily subtly unsettling quiet horror at its finest, however every one has its own theme. Here it's a love story, a very moving love story of a couple who moves to a huge old home in the country ( ...more
Maria
Aug 14, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many things that I didn't completely understand while and also after reading The People of the Dark but still... I think that it wasn't a bad book. I really enjoyed it to be honest, I have to admit it, especially in front of myself.
The atmosphere of Cohocton town is very disturbing, reminds me Silent Hill a bit. The weather is rainy and foggy most of the time, houses and merely few shops are very distant from each other. It has only a few residents, some of them are freaks, some not,
Bryon Decker
Jul 28, 2014 Bryon Decker rated it it was amazing
The People of the Dark is a gripping story of a couple moving to small town America and everything doesn't go as planned. Needless to say Cohocton isn't always rainy and foggy, I live about 18 miles from there. I would recommend this book to any Stephen King fan.
Stacy Simpson
Jul 11, 2010 Stacy Simpson rated it did not like it
This was yet another flop suggested once again by Stephen King...I only think he endorsed the book because the main character was stated to have been reading a Stephen King novel while in bed...SHAMELESS!

The authour jumped all over the place which I hate and the story was hard to follow without all that nonsense...DONT READ!
Wayne
Jun 04, 2016 Wayne rated it really liked it
A nice, stange book. I didn't even know that this was part of a series. It works fine by itself. Plenty of strange people. Strange dialogue. Plenty of atmosphere. This book goes from point A to point B in many various ways. Sometimes it feels like its going off the rails, but it pulls it back together. It kept me reading.
Dean
Nov 25, 2012 Dean rated it it was amazing
One of the spookiest books in TM Wright's "earth children" series. I couldn't put it down. The voice, style, and writing will captivate you, as will the characters. TM Wright's signature brand of subtle terror is guaranteed to give you chills!
Christopher Beck
Feb 21, 2012 Christopher Beck rated it really liked it
Another reviewer said she didn't quite understand everything about this book but enjoyed it nonetheless, and I have to agree with her. I was expecting something a little more frightening and gruesome, but the writing was good, the mood was good,and the atmosphere was good.
Subu
Dec 10, 2012 Subu rated it liked it
just average but the writing is much better than the plot
Bill Breedlove
Bill Breedlove rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2010
Sally Bisbee
Sally Bisbee rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2010
Arthur
Arthur rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Tracey Bansil
Tracey Bansil rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Wayne Benton
Wayne Benton rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2015
Debra
Stephen King recommended author: "T.M. Wright is a rare and blazing talent!"
Þórhallur
Þórhallur rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Darren O.
Darren O. rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
May 03, 2012
+ysenia
+ysenia rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2007
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2008
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Katy Bowlin
Katy Bowlin rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Jj
Jj rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
May 22, 2008
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Gary
Gary rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2009
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2007
Terrance Michael Wright (AKA T. M. Wright) is best known as a writer of horror fiction, speculative fiction, and poetry. He has written over 25 novels, novellas, and short stories over the last 40 years. His first novel, 1978's Strange Seed, was nominated for a World Fantasy Award, and his 2003 novel Cold House was nominated for a Bram Stoker Award. His novels have been translated into many differ ...more
More about T.M. Wright...