The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp, #3)

The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It's Halloween, 1914. Teenage psychic Blossom Culp sneaks into the house where the rest of her class is having a party-and that's when everything goes haywire. Suddenly Blossom is hurled into a time warp. Her psychic powers have found a way to send her into the future-our time. But will they be able to send her back?
Published April 23rd 2001 by Puffin (first published 1983)

The Enchanted River Race by Caldric BlackwellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. Pendleton
Best Independent Reader Fiction
106th out of 151 books — 37 voters
Supernatural Hero by Eran GadotThe Broken by Sean FrawleyWait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing HahnThe Shadow Guests by Joan AikenThe Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Middle Grade Ghost Stories
28th out of 98 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Maggie
This is the third book of Peck's Bluff City books, starring the fabulous Blossom Culp. It's also the weakest of the four. Though there are some wonderfully humorous scenes, highlighting Peck's fine comic writing, the plot and character development mostly made me scratch my head. This book, and the major characters, really needed some development before this book was written. The book had several great possibilities, mostly unrealized.

This book does, however, give Madame Culp more stage time and...more
Katie van Langen
This book is so funny! Richard Peck always writes hilarious books and I would recommend his books to anyone. In this book the main character is a misfit fortune teller named blossom who has the ability to travel in time.
I was constantly laughing and I love Blossom and her originality. She is a tough girl who is honest and very decieving at the same time. Great book.
Abby
Probably the one that will feel most dated.
Sahar Siddiqi
I loved this book, as with every other book in the series. But there were a few things that annoyed me. Alexander went back to avoiding her, just like in the second book. And the book was too short.

Other than that, the book was awesome! Very amusing indeed. Blossom, just as always, walks to the beat of her own drum. Not to mention that she drags Alexander into all her little adventures (Why are they STILL not together? WHYYYYY????)

I'm really eager to read the next and last book in the series, ca...more
Melissa
Finally managed to get through the third book in Richard Peck's Blossom Culp series. It DOES NOT compare to the storytelling of the first two. It did have quite a few humorous moments, which made me snicker out loud. However, most of it was just marginally good. I give it three stars because of all the funny parts, but if you are expecting it to be as great as the first two, you will be disappointed. I am still looking forward to picking up the last book in the series at the library tomorrow...
Kressel Housman
Jun 12, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans, anyone who was a teen in the 80's
This is the funniest of the “Blossom Culp” series, in which Blossom is magically transported to the 1980’s, landing in the room of a computer geek about her own age. The technological references date the book, but most of it is as timeless as Blossom herself. Early scenes in her own 1914 setting are especially funny, and anyone who was a teen in the 80’s will especially appreciate this book.
Donna
This is the third in the Blossom Culp series. Outsider Blossum is snubved by Letty and her friends as they transform an old house into a haunted one for halloween. Blossom and Alexander explore thenhouse ahead of time only to be caqtapulted into the present to be faced with computers and modern technology unfamiliar in their world of 1914.
Maya Rock
The weakest of the Blossom Culp books but fun. Blossom time travels to the early eighties and you get to see what was cutting edge back then (Atari, I think.) There are some funny scenes...I was kind of annoyed because they never alluded to these characters in the other books and to me it was like this book might as well have not happened.
Natalie
this was so funny! blossom goes into the future and meets a boy. he talks about things that have been invented. blossom is from the 1910's, and she is going into the 1970's, so she wants to get caught up with what will be in her future [if she hasn't kicked the bucket yet:]. its a feel-good book that won't fail to make you smile [:
Laurie D'ghent
The thing that was most trippy about this book is that it's a girl from the turn of the century being launched into the future, which happens to be the past for us. I enjoyed remembering calling people "grody", but it lost a star for the main character watching the boys skinny dip and another for swearing.
LaSchelle
I did not realized until I started reading this that it is the 3rd in a series.

Cleaver combination of supernatural gifts, time travel, teen loners and loneliness, inept single parents and junior high school/high school. Loved the Shakespeare Hamlet quotes throughout the book.
Jessie
At the time I read this I didn't know it was part of a series. Perhaps if I had read the first two books then I would have liked it. But this is the only book in the series that I have read and I didn't like it at all. I don't even want to go back and read the series in order.
Kate
Nothing on Ghosts I Have Been, but still good. I was less interested in Blossom traveling into the future (present) than the past, but I enjoyed how she was able to avenge herself on Lettie Shambaugh's granddaughter.
Gretel Ygraine
Read this book when i was in the 4th grade, i think. I cant remember the whole story but i definitely remember that i enjoyed it. :)
Leslie
More like three and a half but because it is Richard Peck and I love all his other books, I'll add a half star!
Janet
Another delightful read. This book was very funny and a lot of fun to read. I love Richard Peck.
Kitty Tomlinson
Blossom starts high school and helps at a “haunted house” and travels into the future.
NC
some of the charm of his other books, not good for time travel
Aleisa
Blossom is my favorite Peck character. And that's saying quite a bit.
Margaret von Fizzlewick
The technology in this book is laughable, but I still get a kick out of it.
Pam
It had some really funny parts, but between them it was only so-so.
Ab
Blossom Culp is one awesome chick! Quick, fun read.
David
An interesting story with lots of humor.
Aditi
It is kinda confusing... but a good book.
Sarah Lamary
Sarah Lamary marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Miss Finch
Miss Finch marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • Below the Root (Green Sky, #1)
  • The Spell of Sorcerer's Skull
  • The House on Parchment Street
  • London Calling
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • Knight's Fee
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Jane-Emily
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • The Juniper Game
  • The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist
  • Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • The Summer Birds (Aviary Hall, #1)
  • Toad Rage (Toad, #1)
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard...more
More about Richard Peck...
A Long Way from Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago, #1) A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2) The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3) The River Between Us