Start by marking “The Great House of God” as Want to Read:
The Great House of God

The Great House of God

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  788 ratings  ·  47 reviews
God's greatest desire is to be your dwelling place -- The home for your heart.

He doesn't want to be merely a weekend getaway. He has no interest in being a Sunday bungalow or even a summer cottage. He wants to be your mailing address, your point of reference, your home ... always. He wants you to live in the Great House of God.

Using the Lord's Prayer as a floor plan, Max L
Published November 2nd 2001 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 30th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Great House of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great House of God

Kathy
My husband and our friend love this book. I think it depends on where we are in our spiritual walk. I think some days it might feed me and others, I'm left dry. Well laid out and good use of the Lord's prayer to walk us through God's house.
Gerri
May 29, 2011 Gerri added it
Excellent book...taking the Lord's prayer and breaking it down in segments. Max Lucado takes the reader on a journey of how we are to live daily in God's great house. You will be blessed!
A.
The imagination of God's grace is presented beautifully and romantically by Lucado, via analysis of the "Our Father..." I had never imagined such beauty and such a visualization of the heart of God.
Read it three times.
Kim
A very informative and accessible look at the Lord's Prayer. I think that as I repeat this prayer in the future, I will be more fully engaged and appreciative of each line.
Edb
A very good book that takes the Lord's prayer as a blueprint for a house and walks through each phrase of the prayer as a different room/part of a house.
Sondang
Well, again, Max Lucado.
The Gerat House of God, of course is the best place for our heart to dwell :D
Sarah Kate
Did a Bible study on this one. Really great.
Dayva
Mar 17, 2008 Dayva rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: non-fiction
Our mansions in heaven, room by room.
Mary-ann
The back cover reads, “God’s greatest desire is to be your dwelling place – The Home For Your Heart. He doesn't want to be merely a weekend getaway. He has no interest in being a Sunday bungalow or even a summer cottage. He wants to be your mailing address, your point of reference, your home…always. He wants you to live in the Great House of God.”
Mr. Lucado starts with the fact that we are adopted by God, he is our adoptive father, and will not abandon us whatsoever. Then in Chapter 3 we move on
Becky
This is a devotional book about The Lord’s Prayer. This is the much loved prayer taught by Jesus. However, the saying of The Lord’s Prayer may start to be said by rote, with not much thinking done about the words being recited. This book wants you to slow down, think about the words, understand who God is, and how He wants to bless us. The prayer is examined line-by-line, and a chapter is devoted to each line to look in-depth at the meaning.

The author is a talented writer who communicates his id
Kara
My Review
I’m so blessed to have the opportunity to review Max Lucado books, this one is yet another winner by my favorite nonfiction author! Like many Christians, I have the Lord’s Prayer memorized but Lucado’s book opened my eyes to even more ways to consider this prayer in my walk with Christ. He starts out with a simple description of a home inspection of our spiritual home-thoughts and truths and convictions and hopes. God’s house=God’s presence. Some of the first scriptures Lucado uses are
Marilyn Magallanes
I have asked one thing from the LORD. This is what I want: Let me live in the LORD’s house all the days of my life. ~Psalm 27:4

Did you know that God has built a House for your soul – a home for your heart? Just as you have a physical house to shelter your body, God has provided a Spiritual home to shelter your heart and house your soul.

The Lord’s Prayer sets this expansive floor plan in “The Great House of God,” while author Max Lucado takes you on a captivating room by room tour through the gra
Alisa
I really, really enjoyed this book. Comparing our relationship with God to a house that He has was a very concrete visual for me. I have always enjoyed Max Lucado books because in many ways he reminds me of C.S. Lewis. I appreciated many of his examples of how our Father loves us no matter what in His living room. The kitchen is a place where we can ask God to provide for us “just for today”. One of my favorite examples is how his daughter gave a pretzel to someone that had done something annoyi ...more
David Campton
I bought and read this book years ago when it first came out, at a time when I was devouring most of Max Lucado's books, and, if truth be told, cannibalising many of them for striking sermon illustrations. However, this one disappointed me somewhat as I felt it wasn't as fresh as some of his other books, and that the extended metaphor he used of the Lord's Prayer being "The Great House of God" was over-extended. Partially as a result this was the last of his books that I bought and read. Having ...more
Claudia
An enlightening new look at the Lord's Prayer, comparing it to God's house. It was an excellent choice for a book study group I'm in.
Phylisscr
Loved this book, definitely one I will read and enjoy again.
Heidi
I really love this work of Max Lucado's. It's not without some problematic theology, but it's one of those works I've gone back to over time that deeply inspires my own, personal faith.
Lisa L
I received a review copy from BookSneeze, and I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It was a light, but compelling read. It provided a very informative and accessible look at the Lord’s Prayer. The Prayer is broken down, and verses are explored as different rooms. It is a very unique way of exploring faith. By putting a story to every verse, the reader has a better understanding of everything this prayer encompasses.

A good read to recommend to those who are feeling lost, and searching to r
Michael Hsu
This is a very interesting and unique book. Based on the Lord’s Prayer, it talks about the spiritual home all Christians hope to dwell in at some point. This book has certainly deepened my understanding of the Lord’s Prayer the next time I say it.
Gina
Max Lucado's books are always simple to read because he writes as if he is sitting right across you, telling you the story himself. It's like the author is having a chat with you.

Great illustration of the Great House of God, Max! It's like we kinda know it but needed someone to re-inforce it into our souls, and you did a great job with that. I will commit to stay in the house of God forever...
Brad Bartelmay
If you like Max Lucado this book delivers his usual mix. He reflects on the Lord's Prayer through the extended metaphor of a home. The attic is this part of the prayer, the kitchen is this part and so on. One thing to note: lots of people read his stuff for the stories (pastor's use them for sermon illustrations). "The Great House of God" has fewer stories than most his books.
Sue
Taking the floor plan of a house, Lucado relates it to the Lord's Prayer - from worship to provision for needs and back to worship. Each phrase of the prayer is related to a different room in the house.
Typical of his writing using anecdotes and stories on himself, this is a light and easy read with enough to think about to keep you engaged.
Joanne Compton
I love this book! My sister let me borrow it but I had to buy my own copy as wanted to underline it. Max Lucado uses the image of a home to show the Lord's Prayer on a different slant. He makes what Jesus teaches so clear and I always come away from reading Mr Lucados work with an increased awe and love for God. ...more
Barb
Our Inspirational book group read this for July 2013. A good book about the Lord's prayer. Broken down in different verses and explained. The author also has some samples from his own life in the book. At the end of the book there are discussions questions.
Otis
The way Max Lucado paints the picture with words are remarkably wonderful. He walk you through the hallways of the Great House of God like no other. Excellent Book!
Licette
It was a nice book. Some of his Christian beliefs are different then the Bible. He made the Lord's Prayer very warm and friendly and personal.
Mary Ellen
Breakdown of the Lord's Prayer, as though each verse was a room in His house.
Elizabeth Allan
So many beautiful things await us in God's house and this book helps to give an insight into that. What a gracious God we have.
Doug
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/... for reading before bed. To just feel encouraged.
Lena
I think this is my favorite Max Lucado book. Teaches you to pray the Lord's Prayer. Truely awesome!
  • Captured by Grace: No One Is Beyond the Reach of a Loving God
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Storm Warning
  • The Practice of Godliness
  • My Heart's Cry
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear