Start by marking “Gods Behaving Badly” as Want to Read:
Gods Behaving Badly

Gods Behaving Badly

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,524 Ratings  ·  1,825 Reviews
Being a Greek god is not all it once was. Yes, the twelve gods of Olympus are alive and well in the twenty-first century, but they are crammed together in a London townhouse-and none too happy about it. And they've had to get day jobs: Artemis as a dog-walker, Apollo as a TV psychic, Aphrodite as a phone sex operator, Dionysus as a DJ.
Even more disturbingly, their powers
Audio CD, Abridged
Published December 1st 2008 by Hachette Audio (first published January 1st 2007)

Rachael
After reading Gods Behaving Badly, I began asking my friends if they have a favorite Greek god or goddess. I was trying to determine my own level of geekiness. I suspect the average person today does not have a preference and may not even be able to name more than one or two of the gods. Fortunately for me, most of my friends can not only name several members of the Greek pantheon, but also were more than willing to enumerate the many reasons they prefer their favorite over all the others. Havin ...more
Kelly
This was indeed Fluff with a capital F. For most of the novel, the pages flipped over like the wind was turning them. It wasn't that it was that suspenseful or anything, it was just such easy, frothy reading that it just fell through your fingers without you really noticing. It did get a bit heavy in the middle, but probably appropriately so, given events. That was the only time it dragged a little.

Essentially: Think of this like a whipped cream dessert version of American Gods. Same basic conce
Miriam
Aug 16, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics and classics geeks
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
The gods of Olympus are real, and they're just as spiteful, petty, and self-centered as myths depict. They live in a run-down London townhouse, and shy Alice is the unfortunate mortal they hire to clean the place.

Neil wishes he could be more than a friend to Alice, but is too timid to ask her out. But when Alice and the entire world may be destroyed, Neil will dare anything to save them.

Neil and Alice are introduced in a scene where they are visiting in her cleaning cupboard:
"Suddenly Alice's
Lindsay
May 01, 2008 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel opens with so much promise: the Greek gods living in modern London, bored and barely able to sustain themselves. We get some of the classic elements demanded by such a project- rogue love interests, fighting, revenge, jealousy. However the book fizzles at the helm of predictability, unlikable characters, and just plain poor writing. I did not come in with high expectations; I wanted an easy, enjoyable read. Readers definitely get the easy part, but any joy I got out of this novel was ...more
Anna
"Gods Behaving Badly" had an awesome concept, an okay delivery, and a flat ending.

I'm an avid fan of Greek mythology, and this book starts out with a lot of promise.

Unfortunately, in reading the book, I felt as though the author had assembled all of the horses for the Kentucky Derby, then put them on the Indy 500 Speedway and said, "Okay, GO!" There just wasn't that much cohesion in the book, and no characters really stood out, which is such a huge shame, because we're talking about *gods* here
Bunny
Jan 17, 2009 Bunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Greek mythology
Recommended to Bunny by: People Magazine
Shelves: read-in-09
I have a serious hard-on for all things involving mythology.

1-17 - I am in love. And lust. And my nipples got a little hard.

Sorry, all of Aphrodite's phone sex got me a little excited.

This book is so clever, and so funny, and I'm insanely jealous that this is Marie Phillips' first book. As a lover of mythology, this books make me laugh entirely too hard.

Alice and Neil were so adorable. I loved how meek and quiet the both of them were. The meek shall inherit the earth someday, but they saved it
Amanda
Jul 30, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mythology Fanatics
Recommended to Amanda by: Amazon
Gods Behaving Badly is a diverting little romp for those who love mythology and legend. However, while enjoyable (and I did laugh out loud a few times--Eros is a born again Christian, how great is that?), the novelty of the inventive premise wears a little thin halfway through the book and culminates in a less than climactic ending. It's entertaining summer reading, but nothing too profound or world altering. However, sometimes that's the type of book that perfectly fits the bill.
Janet
When I first started listening to this audiobook, I cringed just about every second because of the authors "He said, she said" style of writing. It probably wouldn't be so obvious if you were actually reading the written words, but listening to it is quite annoying. Fake example: "Hello, said Artemis." "Hi, said Apollo." "What are you up to, said Artemis?" "Not much, said Apollo." Okay - I think you should get the picture. It really became annoying for me but after about 4 hours of listening, it ...more
Alison Looney
This story reads like the novelization of a comic book. It's short on thoughtfulness and introspection and long on silly action/romance scenes.

Marie Phillips does provide a funny take on what life would be like for the fading Olympians: slummy home in London, imbalanced relationships, lots of time spent plotting revenge. Some of the gods have to get jobs to maintain their minimal lifestyle, so Apollo works as a TV psychic, Artemis walks dogs, and Dionysus owns a night club. Zeus spends most of
Serena
Dec 28, 2008 Serena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marie Phillips' Gods Behaving Badly is one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. What would the ancient gods of Greece and Rome do in today's 21st Century world? Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love, a phone sex operator; Apollo, the God of the Sun, a television psychic; Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt and Chastity, a dog walker.

The gods have weakened since their days on high at Mt. Olympus, and they are all crammed into a dilapidated home in London, getting on one another's nerves. The conflic
Joseph
Jan 27, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some school subjects enter your brain through the front door, find themselves a room and quickly prove themselves useful; cleaning out the cobwebs of mental inconsistency or forming dynamic, working friendships with academics from other fields. 'How did we ever get along without Algebra?' the denizens of my brain might have said during a particularly anthropomorphic moment 'he works so well with World History, Psychology and Creative Writing.'

But Greek Mythology was one of those subjects (along
Michele
Apr 15, 2009 Michele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a good laugh
Recommended to Michele by: Publisher
Need a good laugh? Look no further, especially if you retained any of the Greek mythology you were taught in college. Author Marie Phillips has given us the gods of Olympus all over again and this time, you'll never again forget just who was the god of what.

That's right, the gods of ancient Greece are alive and well (sort-of) and currently residing in a dilapidated house in the suburbs of London. That's right. London.

The good news is that they've evolved with the times. Aphrodite, the goddess of
Deborah Pickstone
Well! This is definitely in my 'best books of 2016' list right away! What a phenomenally imaginative and creative approach to the modern day of the Greek gods - makes Rick Riordan look like an amateur. This is very, very funny - though not laugh out loud (I rarely do).

And there is a bonus at the end! MP gives one of the best descriptions of the creative process that I have ever seen - and that is humorous too. It certainly sounds a lot like me trying to get to grips with a painting!
Maria Thomarey
Nov 26, 2015 Maria Thomarey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
Djrmel
It's a setting that just full of possibilities: the Greek Gods of Olympus are still around and most of the principles are living in a rundown house in modern London. With characters like Apollo and Athena and Hermes, there's no end to complications and plot twists, right? Phillips does come up with jobs suitable of her cast - Aphrodite as a phone sex operator just makes perfect sense. And if Apollo and Aphrodite live in the same house, they probably would end up having sex with each other, consi ...more
Stuart
Jan 20, 2009 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly adorable book, particularly if you're a Greek mythology geek like I am. Reminds one of a Shakespearean comedy or a pastoral romp, but with a slacker aesthetic thrown in. The principal characters, Alice, Artemis, Apollo, Neil, Hermes, Eros, Aphrodite, are all very nicely drawn and there are some genuine moments of pathos and poignancy mixed in with a great deal of screwball comedy and some genuinely substantial literary wit. I would have liked more Athena, Hera and the other gods in ...more
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
Πάει πολύ καιρός από τότε που το διάβασα αλλά έχω ακόμα αυτή την αίσθηση των κομικοτραγικών καταστάσεων που με κάναν να γελάω καθώς το διάβαζα.

Είναι σίγουρα ένα βιβλίο που με έκανε να δω κάπως διαφορετικά τους Θεούς του Ολύμπου.... ;)
Tamara
Ok so I was pulled into reading this book by the sheer fact that it took Greek gods and put them in a modern setting. In London no less. I mean, Aphrodite is a phone sex operator, Dionysus a DJ and Artemis a dog walker. As someone who loved the Disney Hercules film and it's TV show as a kid, AND who was so very obsessed with ancient civilisations at around the same time, there was just no way I could not read this book.

BOY I AM SO GLAD I DID. It had a bit of a bumpy start but after a short whil
Angela
Jan 28, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
Gods Behaving Badly is an amusing and irreverent look at the Greek gods in the twenty first century. Many of the gods are living together in a crowded house in London. The gods engage in infighting and sexual escapades even as their powers diminish. Alice and Neil are mortals who become manipulated by the gods. In Neil, the gods find an unexpected hero who does more than rescue Alice.

Gods Behaving Badly is a light, fun read. The personalities of the gods are consistent with the traditional stori
Bill
Dec 19, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Greek mythology
The novels a hoot with many a LOL moment. It's an easy, quick read, but has much to say about the human condition, the myth of monotheism and the politics of religion.

The Olympians are presented as weak immortals living in slum-like conditions in modern London, actually as part of the masses who support and maintain the glittering façade masquerading as any 'great' city. The author has taken a simplistic approach giving these deities their most obvious attributes and using these as their person
Betty
Feb 12, 2009 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy novel
Wickedly entertaining, an imaginative first novel for Marie Phillips. Gods Behaving Badly is a unique take on what happens when belief in the Greek gods no longer exists. They move to London. They become bored and disrupt the lives of mortals. Immortal and immoral, Apollo is a TV psychic and all-around tomcat, Aphrodite is a telephone sex operator, and Dionysus owns the Bacchanalia nightclub. A little too much promiscuity for my personal taste, but what else are you going to do with the characte ...more
Kasia
Apr 25, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of this book is wild, but to my surprise I really enjoyed it. Modern day London occupied by Greek Gods, bored by the uneventful trickling of time and their powers decaying, is place for their mischief. Fed up, ill-tempered, occupied with lust and wicked games on their mind they find that mortals make great toys. Whether its turning them into objects or making them fall in love or hate one another is just another game in the daily lives of Apollo, Aphrodite, Eros, Zeus, Hera and the w ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I've always considered the Greek gods to be one of the earliest incarnations of the soap opera: the large, tight-knit and incestuous family full of backstabbing, trickery, deceit, love, lust, betrayal, vanity, bravery and chiselled jawlines. They're perfect for a piss-take, and in Gods Behaving Badly Phillips has done a marvellous job of sending them up - all while making you like them just a little bit.

Acting on the premise that the Greek gods are still around, still making the sun shine and so
M2t2
Mar 03, 2016 M2t2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast, fun read!
Kathy Davie
Funny. Phillips has fun belittling their “areas of expertise” & the gods get their comeuppance as the world loses its belief.
Nazmi Yaakub
IBARAT naskhah teater tragedi Greek Kuno yang dicampak ke pentas soap opera dibaurkan pula dengan filem pop culture Anglo-Saxon seperti The Frightening lakonan Michael J Fox.

Ia adalah kemuncak kepada absurdisme Barat -dalam kes ini, pengarang kreatifnya- sehingga tidak hairanlah di tangan Marie Phillips, judul novelnya, Gods Behaving Badly dibaca secara per se, literal, tanpa simbolisme.

Masakan tidak, Artemis, dewi perburuan, keperawanan dan kelahiran, yang berasa bosan dengan telatah dewa-dewa
Vicky
Gods Behaving Badly was voted as the August beach read for 1book140 (The Atlantic's Twitter Bookclub), so I had never heard of it and had no idea what to expect when I picked it up.

I loved it, though I should probably mention that I have a severe soft spot for fiction based on any ancient group of gods.

The characterization of the Gods in the 21st century was hysterical - Artemis is a dog walker and Aphrodite is a phone sex operator. Ares was one of my favorites. Though he plays a minor role in t
Steve
Apr 30, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Problems associated with immortality have sprung up all across literature. From Dorian Gray to modern science-fiction some of the largest questions that arise from cheating death are the most mundane. Slogging through a daily existence in which everything is doomed from the moment of conception to die is an existentialist nightmare.

Now imagine being a god from an age that lives on only in college classics courses and cheesy television parodies. If this isn’t humiliation enough, imagine being stu
Jam
Sep 26, 2008 Jam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that like fluffier Gaimen
Michelle Hankes
Mar 24, 2009 Michelle Hankes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely a beautiful portrayal of the Greek Gods at their best. It is set in modern time London where 12 of the original gods live in a tiny, cramped townhouse, dirty and unkempt. Each of the originals have their power, albeit limited because they are getting older and although the world doesn't look up to them anymore, they are desperately needed to keep it turning. Aphrodite (a sex phone operator), Artemis (a dog walker), and Apollo (a TV psychic/medium), along with all the othe ...more
2016 Reading Chal...: Gods Behaving Badly 1 21 Apr 04, 2015 02:40PM
Books 'N Booze Bo...: Highlights and follow up 5 12 Aug 18, 2013 05:27PM
Books 'N Booze Bo...: Discussion questions 1 11 Aug 15, 2013 07:56AM
Books 'N Booze Bo...: Gods Behaving Badly Initial impressions 9 18 Aug 02, 2013 09:58AM
Books 'N Booze Bo...: Copies at the library 3 13 Jul 24, 2013 10:57AM
Sounds just like American Gods 12 151 Mar 04, 2012 07:35PM
  • The Night Life of the Gods (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver
  • Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1)
  • Food for the Gods (Epikurean Epics #1)
  • Divine Misfortune
  • Lonely Werewolf Girl (Kalix MacRinnalch, #1)
  • Alcestis
  • Iris, Messenger
  • The Shorter Poems
  • The Life Room
  • Black Ships (Numinous World, #1)
  • Smut Peddler
  • The Game
  • Where Three Roads Meet: The Myth of Oedipus
  • Magic, Witchcraft, and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Sourcebook
  • Love Underground: Persephone's Tale: (The Goddesses #1)
  • In Hovering Flight
I was born in London in 1976 and have lived here all my life. I studied Social Anthropology and Visual Anthropology and worked in TV for several years. I left TV to become a writer in 2003, and worked in bookshops while I was writing ‘Gods Behaving Badly’. I now write full time.

As well as writing fiction I have a blog on all things popular culture which is at www.womanwhotalkedtoomuch.blogspot.com
More about Marie Phillips...

“Just shut up. Shut the fuck up, you stupid, uptight, don't drink, don't smoke, don't fuck, don't do anything that might almost be interpreted as fun, sanctimonious little fucking virgin. Fuck, fuck, fucking fuck, I've had enough. I'm not going to this fucking meeting, I don't care what happens to the fucking family, you can tell Athena what the fuck you like, just as long as you get out of my fucking face and stay out of it. - Apollo” 24 likes
“Hello," She said.
There was a long silence.
"Hello," said Artemis again.
"Are you talking to me?" said the tree. It had a faint Australian accent.
"Yes," said Artemis. "I am Artemis." If the tree experienced any recognition, it didn't show it. "I'm the goddess of hunting and chastity," said Artemis.
Another silence. The the tree said, "I'm Kate. I work in mergers and acquisitions for Goldman Sachs."
"Do you know what happened to you, Kate?" said Artemis.
The longest silence of all. Artemis was just about to repeat the question when the tree replied.
"I think I've turned into a tree," it said.
"Yes," said Artemis. "You have."
"Thank God for that," said the tree. "I thought I was going mad."
Then the tree seemed to reconsider this. "Actually," it said, "I think I would rather be mad." Then, with hope in its voice: "Are you sure I haven't gone mad?"
"I'm sure," said Artemis. "You're a tree. A eucalyptus. Subgenus of mallee. Variegated leaves."
"Oh," said the tree.
"Sorry," said Artemis.
"But with variegated leaves?"
"Yes," said Artemis. "Green and Yellow."
The tree seemed pleased. "Oh well, there's that to be grateful for," it said.”
15 likes