Start by marking “The Gospel According To Luke” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According To Luke

The Gospel According To Luke

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Aggie Grey is a jaded sexual health counsellor who finds herself having to defend her business against the attacks of a radical new fundamentalist sect. Pastor Luke Butler is young, idealistic and out to capture the hearts and minds of Sydney's disaffected youth; his first order of business is to shut down Aggie Grey's clinic.

Caught in the crossfire is 16-year-old Honey –
Published June 1st 2008 by Serpent's Tail (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According To Luke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According To Luke

Bree T
Aggie Grey is a sexual health counsellor at a clinic in the heart of Paramatta in western Sydney. Across the road there has suddenly sprung up a Youth Centre, the brainchild of religious group Christian Revolution. While Aggie counsels young girls on drug addiction and unwanted pregnancy, across the road preaches abstinence and purity of all description. It’s only natural that Aggie and the pastor Luke aren’t going to be getting along and when Aggie finds that the Youth Centre is distributing pa ...more
Jacqueline King
After the tremendous high that was Taming the Beast, I had high hopes for this one. And I was only mildly disappointed.
This book was slower than Beast. The story line didn't move with the same intensity, but I'll let it slide as this was a very different book.

It follows three main protagonists: Aggie, a head strong counselor who helps women with their problems, including abortion. Honey, a sixteen year old mother. And Luke, a young pastor whose mission is to close down Aggie's godless clinic and
Mara
Oct 23, 2009 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiwiflora
Dec 09, 2013 Kiwiflora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luke Butler has recently been appointed senior pastor at an evangelical Christian youth centre in suburban Sydney. He is in his late 20s, and never known any life apart from the orphanage he was brought up in following his abandonment at birth, or the church to which he has devoted his life to and where he has finally found a family of sorts. He has no knowledge, or indeed any desire to find out about his birth parents or family. Luke's life is one of order, devotion, tolerance and adherence to ...more
Aviva
Apr 11, 2011 Aviva rated it really liked it
Joe Stamber
Mar 23, 2011 Joe Stamber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper, read-2000s
After reading "Taming of the Beast", EM's previous offering, I was looking forward to whatever came next. I had high hopes, and overall I wasn't disappointed. Not as powerful as TotB, it was always going to be difficult for EM to produce another novel as amazing. GAtL provides more evidence of EM's ability to create convincing damaged characters and then weave them into irresistible murky tales. Aggie is a counsellor (of sorts) who meets her match in Luke, a pastor from across the street. When a ...more
Steven
Dec 19, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: to almost anyone but particularly those who are intrigued by relgion
Maxine  (Booklover Catlady)
I'm not saying too much really but I tried so hard to enjoy and love this book as it sounded like a great storyline. But unfortunately I just kier putting it down and not wanting to come back to it, it didn't hold my interest much, I know it's got some great reviews but for me this one was just a bit bland really.
M
Aug 02, 2014 M rated it really liked it
I dived straight into this after 'Taming the Beast' (which I loved) and was a little disappointed. What was this - a love story? A treatise on atheism vs fundamentalism? It kind of feels like Maguire was shooting at an easy target. And the end - well it felt predictable. I was expecting some kind of catastrophe and got - well, I won't spoil it. The writing saved it from drifting into a plotless hell, but it felt like a little more substance was needed here.
Hiba
That ending basically killed me.

I have a lot more I want to say about this, but I'm too sleep deprived to do it justice atm. Review tc. What I can say right now: Emily Maguire remains a genius. She is one of the most important authors we have writing today and it is truly a privilege to read her work.
Kirsten
Dec 24, 2010 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the three main characters. Fascinating premise - two individuals with absolutely incompatible values falling in love, and what happens as a result. One is an youth pastor, the other counsels youth on sexual health including abortion. The third character, Honey, is a 16 year old girl who has such a rotten present and past, a shocking window on the lives of some. I was gripped.
Jennifer Newman
Nov 01, 2011 Jennifer Newman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Recommend to me by my friend, I wasn't sure about this book from the blurb but whoa was I wrong! Simply loved it from start to finish, with it's great contrast between religious belivers and thoughs who are not.
The ending was uncontrollably sad, almost leaving me in tears, yet somehow it just makes it more real. I will be sure to recommend it at every opotuinity! 5 stars.
Josie
Jun 15, 2013 Josie rated it really liked it
This book was a little less 'harsh' than her first novel.
I'm starting to really like the way she writes, its very unapologetic.
The ending crept up on me, and had much more of an effect on me that I thought the book was actually having.
Good subject matter, well executed and a few funny buts thrown in there too.
Mel
Apr 25, 2016 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I really loved this book and it's a new favorite, I can't in all honesty give it 5 stars.
The ending was just too abrupt and the personal journey of at least one of the main protagonists was left TOTALLY unresolved.
---
Re-readings:
23-25 April 2016
Alison
Dec 31, 2011 Alison rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the title and the concept of this book (when I wasn't supposed to be choosing any more library books). It was interesting to see how deeply held beliefs can be interpreted by people of different views but I was disappointed with the ending.
Kat Colorado
Feb 01, 2011 Kat Colorado rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, 2011
I found the love between Luke and Aggie very touching. They came from totally opposing sides but what was between them was stronger. It was terribly sad to read the end, but I kind of expected something similar all the time.
Lachlan Sims
Sep 21, 2011 Lachlan Sims rated it liked it
Enjoyable read, explores the psychological and ethical challenges of human relationships
Dawn Kurtagich
Jan 16, 2010 Dawn Kurtagich rated it really liked it
Another amazing read from Maguire.
Jo Cornish
Jo Cornish marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Rebecca Joy
Rebecca Joy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Cris
Cris marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Dave Brown
Dave Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Kym
Kym marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
May 21, 2016
May
May marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Melissa Denneny
Melissa Denneny marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Katie
Katie added it
May 04, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Ebony
Ebony marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
India
India marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • The Yearning
  • Heart of the Valley
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Guns n' Boys: He Is Mine (Guns n' Boys, #2)
  • Naked
  • Nightingale
  • Kitto (Tyack & Frayne, #4)
  • Beautiful Losers
  • Brumby's Run
  • Stella Makes Good
  • Housewrights
  • In Safe Hands (Grace & Poole, #1)
  • Tiddas
  • Bring Him Home
  • The Mistake
  • Wild Summer (Love Story Universe)
  • Reclamation (Acclamation #2)
  • Heatstroke: The Extended Edition