Start by marking “Me and My Baby View the Eclipse” as Want to Read:
Me and My Baby View the Eclipse

Me and My Baby View the Eclipse

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  462 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
It is Lee Smith's "love for her characters"--as the San Francisco Chronicle wrote--that gives her work "a down-home flavor, as satisfying as an old-fashioned Sunday dinner." And she certainly loves the people in the stories that make up her first collection since Cakewalk.

These are average folks whose average lives are suddenly shaken up by the eclipses that come to us all
Published June 23rd 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Me and My Baby View the Eclipse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me and My Baby View the Eclipse

Melki
Feb 14, 2012 Melki rated it really liked it
Pleasant as a cloudless summer day, the stories in this book are sweet, charming, and funny. Quite a few of them deal with women getting on with their lives after their menfolk have hightailed it for greener, younger pastures.

"Intensive Care" was the most powerful story. A man reminisces as he waits for his wife to die. I'm fairly immune to emotional manipulation, but the last line of this one made me burst into tears.

Smith has a gossipy "just between us girls" style. Reading this was like sit
Janet
Sep 03, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
My bookcases are not organized (and me a librarian). They feature shelves and shelves of assorted paperbacks I bought in college and after college, and read or didn't back then, and haven't read in years at any rate. I spotted this collection of short stories by the wonderful Lee Smith on the shelf yesterday, and devoured it overnight, jumping around so that, coincidentally, I got to the most powerful and wonderful story, "Intensive Care", last, and just finished it a couple minutes ago. These e ...more
Amanda
May 22, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I love this book; I first read it in the late '90s, I think, and recently re-read it and was glad that it didn't disappoint, after all these years. Lee Smith has the most wonderful feel for the late-20th-century American south, in all its quirks. She doesn't sentimentalize, and is often quite funny, but the way so many of the stories make my heart catch, or cause a sudden lump in my throat and/or tears, is remarkable. Hers is a wise, compassionate perspective. I highly recommend this one.
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I had wanted to read this book for a long time and now that I have , I have to say it wasn't exactly what I expected.The authentic Southerness was there and as a person who has grown up in the South, I recognized and related to that immediately.It felt very familiar. Most of the stories had gripping elements and a couple were especially engrossing, but a couple of stories just ended abruptly without any defined ending and although the author provided enough information throughout the narrative f ...more
Frankie Frasure
Jan 01, 2011 Frankie Frasure rated it really liked it
Lee Smith has an unusual writing style. Very refreshing. Her characters tend to ramble, digress and get distracted easily at times but you soon realizes that this type of writing is very authentic to how most people think. You get inside the mind of the character and caught up in the moment and thought process.
Tami Porter
Jun 09, 2016 Tami Porter marked it as to-read
Dbdrhtghdhrhtvfushthfjcjthbchfhgbhdhgfjgfjjcgnn uhh jvjgnnjgfjgnxjgndndjgnfjcjtnybjvtnfnvngnxnggjybjvngyngjfjngjfjcjg ::) evict ::) fdtrgfffjcrjgbtbhhcrnjjdgjjfgnjjgjrggjjvjgbgg ::) bhyfhfntngjc ::) bvjngjgnvntngjcjfjvjgjgbtjfjfjgjfj c.f. tjgjgjfjrn c.f. tngjjcjgtnjvjfjtdjfjfjcjfjjgjcfjtjjcjg ::) jvjfngjfjgnctnfndksma1jeddrjdjrjcjej f Rifkin ::) jvjgngnbjndsmms
Greta
Jan 18, 2015 Greta rated it really liked it
Light & lovely stories of love and loss, by a southern author who mentions Nashville in one tale. Greensboro, Winston-Salem and other cities I like are also included by her characters. And her stories are mostly sweet or at least entertaining.
Anne
Jul 08, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I love the way this author writes, and some of these short stories were just fantastic, but I found the subject matter in all of them to be too similar. Variations on a theme, I guess, but I tired of it a bit after a while.
Nanhug_47yahoo.com
Jan 04, 2015 Nanhug_47yahoo.com rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Despite the fact Smith is a writer whose stories take place, for the most part, in Appalachia, I had never read any of her works. This short story collection has insured I will read all her books.
Chasia Lloyd
Mar 02, 2015 Chasia Lloyd rated it liked it
Lee Smith is no stranger to finding the real human parts of people in her beautiful writing that always draws me to her, but this collection of short stories was very hit or miss with me.
Carol N
Jul 27, 2016 Carol N rated it liked it
A series of fun Southern short stories - good for a summer read when you don't to commit to a
500 page of drama reading.
Jackie
Jun 20, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Another book with short stories by Lee Smith. She writes with each character's diction telling his or her social standing and personal opinions. The title of the book is the last short story in the book. Each story has a theme, and sometimes I thought they would all deal with divorce, or superstition for motivation, or justification of irrational behavior sometimes known as denial. Thanks to this approach to writing, the author makes the reader smarter than the story teller!

Some phrases appear
Anne
Feb 02, 2010 Anne rated it it was ok
OK, finishing books that I found painful. I don't know who cares about all these bimbos with no education, not me. However 2 of these stories were amusing, the last two, reason enough to put them in the back of the book. According to Lee Smith, or her readers, everybody in the south has no moral code, no education, no taste, and all pop in and out of bed with odious characters. Why is this interesting to anybody? Please tell me her books will NOT be sent to any foreign nation, or galaxy, to give ...more
A.
Jul 08, 2008 A. rated it it was amazing
I love Lee Smith's novels, but I love her short stories -- especially this collection -- even more. She's got a real eye for finding the most human parts of her characters, and making you love them despite their flaws. The title story is one of my top five short stories of all time. (Three of the others appear in W.P. Kinsella's The Thrill of the Grass, and the fifth is Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard To Find".)
Barbara
Feb 21, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I reread this collection of stories by Lee Smith and found that they have held their charm. The book is populated by the quirky Southern characters one would expect from this author with interesting and varied viewpoints. The collection held together well yet each story was quite individual. The only one I did not care for was a spoof on romance writing called "Desire on Domino Island." Otherwise, I'd recommend this book to anyone.
Dec 08, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This was a comfort read, like most of Lee Smith's books, like Little Women and Elizabeth Berg. The only thing I don't like about Lee Smith's writing is the inevitable infidelity. There is usually at least one person cheating on the other in her books, and the matter-of-fact way the characters do these things leave me with an uneasy anger.
Berkles
Oct 12, 2012 Berkles rated it really liked it
Smith is a force of nature. She concocts elaborate plots with intricately woven characters (like Flannery O'Connor) and tells the story in the simplest, most unobtrusive way she can (like Tolstoy). Highlights: really all except the romance novel one, which is still good, but the titular story might make you cry.
Nicole
Sep 17, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of short stories
Shelves: southern-fiction
Another spectacular look into the lives of small town southerners from the author of Oral History. Stories of despair, made transcendental. I loved it so much I already lent it to someone to try and convert them to Lee Smith. One of the best short stories I have ever read are in this collection.
Beth
Apr 14, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it
This book has a great Steel Magnolias quality about it; it would be a good collection to have on hand if you were in a bad mood and needed a pick-me-up. My favorites were Life on the Moon, Tongues of Fire, and Intensive Care.
Jo
Aug 11, 2007 Jo rated it really liked it
One of my favorites...I love Lee Smith's sense of humor and her timing and delivery is great. If you haven't ever read Lee Smith, this is book is a great jumping off point.
Jessie
Oct 31, 2008 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My first Lee Smith encounter--these are the kinds of stories that lead you into writing your own stories; loved "Tongues of Fire" esp.
Kendra
Feb 17, 2014 Kendra rated it liked it
Sweet, edgy stories from Southern, mostly female perspectives set in the 80's/90's. Beautiful prose.
Kate
May 23, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
Collection of short stories by NC author Lee Smith. Not really my cup of tea...
Phyllis Jennings
Feb 08, 2012 Phyllis Jennings rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite collections by Lee Smith! Must read the title story.
Kate
Sep 17, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Another beloved book that Joannna needs to return to me! LOL.
Karen
Sep 20, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: author, southern, fiction
Great read! Highly recommended!
Pam Joyce
Pam Joyce rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
2015 Reading Chal...: Me and My Baby View the Eclipse by Lee Smith 1 8 Apr 07, 2015 07:39AM
  • The Floatplane Notebooks
  • The Next Step in the Dance
  • Shiloh and Other Stories
  • Blacker Than a Thousand Midnights
  • The Distance from the Heart of Things
Growing up in the Appalachian mountains of southwestern Virginia, nine-year-old Lee Smith was already writing--and selling, for a nickel apiece--stories about her neighbors in the coal boomtown of Grundy and the nearby isolated "hollers." Since 1968, she has published eleven novels, as well as three collections of short stories, and has received many writing awards.

The sense of place infusing her
More about Lee Smith...