Start by marking “The Glorious Ones” as Want to Read:
The Glorious Ones

The Glorious Ones

The Glorious Ones travel the length and breadth of seventeenth-century Italy, playing commedia dell'arte in the streets and palaces with equal vigor. Founded by the ingenious madman Flamino Scala, the small company of players endures kidnappings and passionate affairs, cabals, riots, disgrace—all manner of triumph and hardship. Pantalone the miser, sunny Armanda the dwarf,

Published January 28th 2000 by Bamberger Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Glorious Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glorious Ones

Bandit
May 29, 2016 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traveling theatre shows are close enough to circuses thematically that this novel piqued my interest. It turned out to be a very enjoyable story about a small troupe in 17th century Italy playing commedia dell'arte for royalty and peasants alike. The book is structured as a compilation of recollections and perspectives from different, charming and outrageous in their own ways members of the troupe, all brought together by their larger than life fearless leader Flaminio Scala. It took me longer t ...more
Kay
Jul 02, 2008 Kay rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Makes me sorry that I missed the musical at Lincoln Center. Prose tells the story of a commedia troupe as the shift from improvised theatre to scripted drama is happening. Each chapter is narrated by a different troupe member and fills in another part of the story. The issues and the artistic struggles were so interesting - and the characters were vividly drawn.
Kelly
Jul 09, 2009 Kelly rated it liked it
Recommended to Kelly by: Lisa
Shelves: 2009, italy
I would have probably liked this book more if my imagination hadn't cast Jeff as the lead character (Flaminio Scala). It just didn't work that.
Kathleen Guinnane
Mar 14, 2017 Kathleen Guinnane rated it liked it
Shelves: for-me
I liked this book and how it was told from the various viewpoints of people in the troupe, but it wasn't the book I couldn't put down. I did want to find out what happened, and I was satisfied with what I read, but I just didn't feel vested in the characters. Maybe I am just not a fan of the roving theater troupes of old.
Anjum
Dec 20, 2015 Anjum rated it really liked it
I had to read this book because I would be playing Isabella in an upcoming production of The Glorious Ones, the musical. I was thrilled that this book was an easy read that I could breeze through. But let me tell you; this book is a necessary read if you just see the musical or even just listen to the music. Otherwise, I doubt it would make much sense. Now, I read the book before I became intimately knowledgeably of the play, so it's only my best guess that it wouldn't make full sense without th ...more
Doug
Jul 09, 2014 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually bought this book back in 2007, after having seen and very much enjoyed the Broadway musical version of the story - but never got around to reading it. It brought back memories of that terrific production, but is a very good novel in its own right. Unless one has an interest in theatre history in general, or the commedia dell'arte in particular, I doubt one would find it all that intriguing though. My one quibble is that each of the characters narrates one of the seven chapters, yet al ...more
Justin Howe
Jul 24, 2013 Justin Howe rated it really liked it
It's set in 17th century Italy but you wouldn't know it from reading it. The Glorious Ones are a troupe of actors made up of archetypes and each tells their story, parading forth their dreams and obsessions. It's one of those books about stories and the power of stories. Probably not for everyone, but a refreshing read just the same.
Jessica Kwasniak
Oct 04, 2012 Jessica Kwasniak rated it it was amazing
The Glorious Ones was an excellent first novel by the prolific Francine Prose. Set in 17th century Italy, it tells the tale of a theatre troupe. Each chapter is a different person's perspective. A great, quick read.
Cynthia
Nov 05, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it
A wonderful romp through commedia dell'arte from the different points of view of the players in a small troupe wandering around Italy and France. Turned into a Broadway musical that I can't wait to see on dvd.
Laila
Apr 14, 2011 Laila rated it liked it
Meh. I could have skipped this one. I can recognize how clever some of the writing is, especially how Prose pokes fun at the useless, bumbling doctor with his own voice. But overall, quickly forgettable.
Jane Mackay
Jan 24, 2010 Jane Mackay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful journey through Italy in the time of the Commedia dell'arte. Was a little disappointed in the ending; the narrative power fizzled out. Ending was sappy compared to the rest of the book. I was expecting something more feisty.
Bex
Jan 18, 2012 Bex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vincent
Dec 05, 2008 Vincent rated it liked it
I had hoped for something much different. But it was intriguing. If you are interested in commedia dell'arte, as I am, then this might appeal to you.
Harriett Milnes
A short novel with each chapter done by a different, stock character from the commedia dell'arte.
Nadine
Nadine rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Jeremy Silverman
Jeremy Silverman rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Yousuf
Yousuf rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2010
michelle
michelle rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Marci
Marci rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2015
joseph dixon
joseph dixon rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Deedee
Deedee rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Jeremy Striffler
Jeremy Striffler rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Sherry Chiger
Sherry Chiger rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Umberto Tosi
Umberto Tosi rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
H Hammer
H Hammer rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Francine Prose (born in 1947 in Brooklyn, New York) is an American novelist. She graduated from Radcliffe College in 1968, and received a Guggenheim fellowship in 1991. She has sat on the board of judges for the PEN/Newman's Own Award, and her novel Blue Angel, a satire about sexual harassment on college campuses, was a finalist for the National Book Award. She is now teaching at Bard College.

For
More about Francine Prose...