I Sailed to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Who Crossed the Ocean

I Sailed to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Who Crossed the Ocean

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Published April 28th 2000 by Bookcraft Pubs (first published April 2000)

Chadwick
The very intruguing book, I Sailed to Zion actually accomplishes, I believe, all 3 purposes of writing: to pursuade, inform and entertain. The "story", for lack of a better word, is about the pioneers who had to endure possibly more than those who only had to cross the plains to reach Zion. These were the European, Asian, and Australian pioneers, many of whom did not speak English, who sailed the Seven Seas to reach the place where they were called to go. It is a collection (collaboration, compl...more
Sam
Dec 17, 2007 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who can trace their ancestory across the oceans
My pops co-authored this book. Strong work, dad! It consists of first hand accounts of Mormon European immigrants making the trek to the United States to join 'the saints' (Mormon congregations). Regardless of your religious persuasion I believe you can appreciate the immense sacrifice of these pioneers in search of a better life for themselves and their children.
Pat Harris
This book is a compilation of journal entries of Mormons who converted in Europe and then sailed across the Atlantic to the United States, prior to making the trek west to Utah. It is about children's impressions of the sea journeys. Very interesting if you enjoy first-hand impressions of something that occurred over 100 years ago.
VeeAnn
I actually like this one better than the stories of crossing the plains. I can't imagine what it would be like to leave the only country and home you had ever known and spend weeks or months on a ship for an unknown place. Since some of my ancestors had limited or no English at all, this is especially impressive.
Deborah
This was interesting because I hadn't thought as much about those who "sailed" to get to Utah. These are their stories from their journals. All are inspiring and helped me keep perspective in my own life.
Carrie Snider
This was a great book. I liked reading accounts of people who sailed so long ago. I got a real taste for what it must have been like. I hadn't thought about the food or sea sickness. Interesting!
April
Sep 20, 2007 April rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who had a pioneer family member
Shelves: vagueideas
Ok so I like this book so much because my great-grandfather's story is in this book. I'm not much into history but I really loved reading his story that I know so well.
Rebecca
I enjoyed this book. It was good to read what people went through to get to America. I apperciate their sacrifies.
I think that I went through an entire tissue box. I love pioneers.
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 16, 2014
Belinda Romney
Belinda Romney marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Lyndsey
Lyndsey marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Aliesha Bates
Aliesha Bates marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
Jill Lister
Jill Lister marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Tressy
Tressy marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Bonnie
Bonnie is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Jana
Jana added it
Aug 27, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail The Second Rescue: The Story of the Spiritual Rescue of the Willie and Martin Handcart Pioneers Growing Up in Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Building the Kingdom The Lord Needed a Prophet Hard-Won Wisdom: Advice for a Richer Life from the Greatest Generation