Start by marking “Thoughts Are Things” as Want to Read:
Thoughts Are Things

Thoughts Are Things

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Prentice Mulford was one of the leaders of the New Thought Movement. Thoughts are Things will help you use the power of your thoughts to improve your life and to bring yourself the peace of mind you've always wished for. Learn how to think in a way that will help you succeed and make you happier in every aspect of your life. This book holds the Secret to the Law of Attract ...more
Published January 22nd 2008 by Wilder Publications (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Thoughts Are Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thoughts Are Things

Chela
Jan 11, 2009 Chela is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I find that if I had read this book several years ago, I wouldn't have needed to buy more than 1/2 of the books on my shelves now. This book says it all. wow.
Bobbi
Jun 12, 2012 Bobbi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read it 2 yrs ago and as i was going through some changes and looking for "things" and "thinking" alot. How nice when just the right things show up at just the right time.
Michael Jay
Apr 26, 2015 Michael Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pauline Mansfield
Shelves: reading-it-again
To learn from a contemporary of Emerson, from a person who valued the essence of a person is a strength-generating process -- I understand the transcendent movement to be one which cultivates the energy of a person in constructive and binding ways, constructive in a visible and non-visible sense, and binding in a way that frees the hand for greater layers of constructive thought and action. The action is the drive of the movement, to make visible through motion what is invisible in a static mome ...more
Srividya Arathri
Apr 06, 2016 Srividya Arathri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very captivating for a book published in 1889. Books like The Secret and E squared are spinoffs of this book. Reading it with the Patanjali yoga sutra ,it's completely astounding to see the concept of duality well defined as the mind of the body and mind of the spirit. While in Hindu scriptures the aim is towards transcending dualism towards oneness, this book explains the material mind as the slave of spiritual mind. Interesting read.
Kelley
Feb 13, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This collection of essays was originally published in 1889. Due to his dated writing style it took me a couple of tries to get into the first essay. Once I did, it was all over. I couldn't put this book down. The last couple of essays are a bit over the top but I found gems of thought among them.
Favorites Essays: One Way to Cultivate Courage & The Infinite Mind in Nature.
Great book if you want to provoke your mind to think beyond the material plane of existence.
Belasonic
Mar 15, 2009 Belasonic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thinkers
This is one of those books I can't believe was written in the 1890s and just kinda slipped by unnoticed. Mulford's ideas about thoughts as things are articulate, ahead of his (and our) time in his understanding of the simplicity of the field and its material manifestation. His advice offers practical applications for living with a better awareness of reality.
Daniel
Jan 05, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thinkers and everyone
Great book about the power of thoughts written in the late 1870's and is a precursor to "The Secret" and all that bull. Prentice Mulford is right on, instead of talking about the law of attraction and how to become rich he talks about spiritual transmutation. Read it.
Karl
Jan 07, 2014 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this book contains some empowering ideas that will undoubtedly improve the quality of my life and I am glad that I purchased a copy that I can frequently refer to. I find it wonderful that at a time in history when most people in the Western world were thinking about the physical nature of reality, there were a few individuals, like Prentice Mulford, that endeavored to “wake” people up to the power of thought.

Ideas such as, “Your real self moves with inconceivable rapidity as your though
Lorraine
Nov 23, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Timeless, a must read! This book will forever change the way you think about life!
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 Kara Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prentice Mulford wrote this book in 1889, long before more well-known, contemporary authors began writing about the power of thought. Despite being over 100 years old, this is a powerful book on thought.

Mulford explains we have, in effect, two minds: the mind of the body and the mind of the spirit. The mind of the body is limited and fights change. It thinks things must always be the way they've always been. The mind of the spirit trusts in the Supreme Power which made all things and knows that
Karl
Mar 29, 2014 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ideas such as, “Your real self moves with inconceivable rapidity as your though
Mathias Luz
I've found this book really interesting on the subject "dealing with the potential of our thoughts".
This is for those who want to live a new paradigm of creating the wished reality by ruling the left over though's resource.
A life-enriching read!!
Alvin Walker
Dec 26, 2014 Alvin Walker rated it liked it
Good book to read
Heidi Wiechert
There are some moments where this work dates itself: especially when Mulford talks about the powers or spiritual practices of the "Indian" or "Chinaman". He was referring to those folks in the vernacular of his day, but I still found some of those passages cringe worthy.

If you can get beyond that, he has some solid ideas and practices in this work. Read it if you want to know more about the power of thought and belief from one of the founders of the New Thought movement.
Pat Elliott
Mar 26, 2014 Pat Elliott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts are Things was written in 1889 and having read it, I'm totally amazed by it. Yes, the writing is old fashioned, but once you get past that and into the meat of it, you will find food for the mind and spirit. An amazing read.
Cora
Feb 02, 2014 Cora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! I still can't believe he wrote this in the 1800's! I will call on this book again in the future and recommend it to anyone.
Jamie
This book is fascinating and deep. It stays with you the next day after you read a few chapters--I still think about the topics it brought up. It certainly will jar your brain and make you look and think about everyday things in a new light.
Sonia Portell
Jan 04, 2014 Sonia Portell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a read straight through kind of book. You have to stop to process it.
Muhammad Arqum
3.5
Nothing particularly new, however a decent enough consolidation of ideas.
Kenna Young
Oct 20, 2008 Kenna Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great views!
Velvetink
Jun 21, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
epub version
Jessy Abdo
Jessy Abdo marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Robin BAsque
Robin BAsque rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Steve Holley
Steve Holley marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Georgios
Georgios rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Tracy Dalton Brown
Tracy Dalton Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Katarzyna Sapińska
Katarzyna Sapińska is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2016
Can you control your life by your thoughts? 2 13 Oct 20, 2012 04:44AM
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • Eight Pillars of Prosperity
  • Your Invisible Power: The Mental Science of Thomas Troward
  • The Power of Concentration
  • The Wisdom of Wallace D. Wattles - Including: The Science of Getting Rich, The Science of Being Great & The Science of Being Well
  • The Creative Process in the Individual
  • The Little Blue Reasoning Book: 50 Powerful Principles for Clear and Effective Thinking
  • Journalism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath's Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart's Intelligence
  • Feeling Is The Secret 1944
  • Making the Most of Your Money Now (Revised)
  • The Autobiography: Truth and poetry: from my own life
  • Technologized Desire: Selfhood and the Body in Postcapitalist Science Fiction
  • Never Too Late
  • The Revolution of Hope: Toward a Humanized Technology
  • From the Tree to the Labyrinth: Historical Studies on the Sign and Interpretation
  • Selected Essays
  • World of Archangels
Prentice Mulford was a literary humorist and a co-founder of the New Thought movement.
More about Prentice Mulford...

“to say a thing 'must be', is the very power that makes it” 16 likes
“In the spiritual life every person is his or her own discoverer, and you need not grieve if your discoveries are not believed in by others. It is your business to push on find more and increase individual happiness” 11 likes