Start by marking “Happening” as Want to Read:
Happening

Happening

In 1963, Annie Ernaux, 23 and unattached, realizes she is pregnant. Shame arises in her like a plague: Understanding that her pregnancy will mark her and her family as social failures, she knows she cannot keep that child.
This is the story, written forty years later, of a trauma Ernaux never overcame. In a France where abortion was illegal, she attempted, in vain, to self-
Published September 4th 2001 by Seven Stories Press (first published March 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Happening, please sign up.

أحمد شاكر
Sep 07, 2016 أحمد شاكر rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: رواية
رواية مذهلة، صغيرة في الحجم، مذهلة على مستوى الكتابة، فهي تسجيل للحدث وقت وقوعه (يوميات)، وتسجيل آخر عند استدعاء الحدث؛ تذكره، وتسجيل وقت كتابته وإخراجه في الصورة الأخيرة. على المستوى النفسي فهي رواية مرهقة ومتعبة؛ تحكي ظروف طالبة جامعية تسعى لإجهاض جنين في بطنها. تحكي عن سعيها. نظرة من حولها لما هي مقدمة عليه. نظرة الأطباء. ونظرة القانون. نظرتها هي لذاتها، وللجنين/ طفلها. تحكي عن ليلة الإجهاض، والألم، وانبثاق الجنين من رحمها..
أرهقتني. كدت أقيء وأنا أقرأ، من إحساسي معها بالألم.
M. Sarki
Feb 05, 2015 M. Sarki rated it really liked it
Not only an interesting story, but harrowing and unfair. I do appreciate Annie Ernaux, her honesty and courage, and her need to put her life into words so that others might benefit from how, and the way, she lived.
هديل Ghoneim
Feb 24, 2012 هديل Ghoneim rated it it was amazing
so far captivating ..what great writing!

very painful too...a powerful experiment in writing about a distant ordeal from memory.
Jessica
Oct 31, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
Perhaps the single most provocative element of Happening, Annie Ernaux’s memoir of her illegal abortion, is that she never provides her readers with a reason for why she so desperately wanted to terminate her pregnancy. Any reader searching for comfortable justifications (rape, incest, desperate poverty, an alcoholic boyfriend, the threat of violence) will be unsatisfied. Given the practically universal taboo of abortion, writing a memoir on the subject is an obviously challenging undertaking fo ...more
Amanda
Sep 28, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the text at the beginning, quite neutral ... I did not find a way to appreciate the character. Some hatred grew in me ... although I could feel some compassion for her. The end was much more striking than the beginning ... However, I expected much more regarding this autobiography. The end of the book is beautiful, it is the best part of this novel.

J'ai trouvé le texte au début, assez neutre... Je n'ai pas trouver le moyen d'apprécier le personnage. Une certaine haine se développait en m
Winnielou
Jun 25, 2016 Winnielou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un roman parfois dur au sujet d'un avortement. J'ai trouvé le sujet extrêmement bien traité, avec finesse mais vérité. Je crois que je n'avais jamais lu autant de détails sur ce type d'"événement", en ce sens l'auteur a réussi son but de transmettre, par-delà son expérience personnelle, la vérité sur l'expérience de l'avortement chez les femmes de son milieu dans les années 60. Le style est comme toujours très maîtrisé, très efficace, rendant le récit très accessible à tous.
Emilie Bee
Dec 09, 2016 Emilie Bee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Une histoire tout simplement bouleversante. J'ai terminé cette lecture en me disant que l'auteure avait réussi à nous faire partager un sujet hautement personnelle de façon totalement objective et militante, sans pathos. Je ne sais pas identifier ce qui fait que j'ai tant aimé ce livre mais c'est une de mes lectures coup de coeur de cette année si ce n'est MON nouveau livre préféré
BoekenTrol
Feb 28, 2010 BoekenTrol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: creativechaos
It is a terrible story, that is being told. Having said that, I must add, that this book, this short novel, was way too graphic for me.
I have told you before that I have quite a vivid imagination and the words I read were, like usally, put into a movie straight away.
It got that bad, that I was VERY happy when the book had no more pages!
Lissa
Mar 27, 2007 Lissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: feminist french lit fans
I read this for my Feminist French Lit class in college. Didn't like the class AT ALL, and this book was the best one out of the lot. A very gruesome and realistic true tale about the author getting an illegal abortion.
Lily
May 11, 2009 Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an easy read, perfect for keeping up with my French. Of course, the subject, a clandestine abortion, was graphic and disturbing at times. But Ernaux does a good job interpreting her experience enough to give it meaning, but not so much as to make it cheesy.
teawithcookies
Oct 25, 2016 teawithcookies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it is such a harrowing story but also an interesting testimony that made me learn lots of things about a subject I thought I knew a lot about. it is authentic and true, everything I love. I'll definitely read some of her other books
Lucy
May 30, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-women
Muy interesante. La autora no cae en la auto compasión, lo cual sólo añade valor a su relato. Quizá excesivamente gráfico en algún punto, pero parece necesario para la historia. Recomendable para reflexionar.
Leilani Clark
Apr 12, 2007 Leilani Clark rated it liked it
A stark reminder about why abortion needs to remain legal and accesible for women in this country. Ernaux writes with brutal truth about her experiences as a young student in France-1960's-who goes through a desperate search to end her pregnancy. This borders on meta-fiction, a style that I enjoy.
Anne-Sophie
Jan 09, 2017 Anne-Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, auteure, 2017
Un livre qui se lit d'une traite et qui remet les idées en place. À une époque pas si lointaine où l'avortement était illégale, Annie raconte comment elle a vécu cet événement dans sa vingtaine.
Stephanie Cullen
Probably my favourite French book after Jean de Florette.
Imanol Epelde
Mar 08, 2014 Imanol Epelde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gertakizuna. Euskaraz.
Labur eta trinko. Tinko. Abortua orain urte batzuk. Eta batzuk garai haietara itzultzeko ahaleginak egiten.
Lehenengo pertsonan kontatua. Gordin. Ondo!
Dithyrambique
Dithyrambique rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Uriko
Uriko rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Marie-Anne
Marie-Anne rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Lulamae
Lulamae rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Véronique Martin-Place
Véronique Martin-Place rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Anera
Anera rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Lou
Lou rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Camille Chénier
Camille Chénier rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Heba badr
Heba badr rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Catherine Bond
Catherine Bond rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Lise
Lise rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
  • American Elf: The Collected Sketchbook Diaries, Vol. 3
  • La femme qui fuit
  • No Place on Earth
  • Kiki's Memoirs
Annie Ernaux is a French writer.

She won the Prix Renaudot in 1984 for her book La Place, an autobiographical narrative focusing on her relationship with her father and her experiences growing up in a small town in France, and her subsequent process of moving into adulthood and away from her parents' place of origin.
More about Annie Ernaux...

“Maybe the true purpose of my life is for my body, my sensations and my thoughts to become writing, in other words, something intelligible and universal, causing my existence to merge into the lives and heads of other people.” 19 likes
“Des milliers de filles ont monté un escalier, frappé à une porte derrière laquelle il y avait une femme dont elles ne savaient rien, à qui elles allaient abandonner leur sexe et leur ventre. Et cette femme, la seule personne alors capable de faire passer le malheur, ouvrait la porte, en tablier et en pantoufles à pois, un torchon à la main : "C'est pour quoi, mademoiselle?” 0 likes