Start by marking “Small and Simple Things” as Want to Read:
Small and Simple Things

Small and Simple Things

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,959 ratings  ·  136 reviews
In these pages, Sister Hinckley shares some of the small and simple things she has gleaned from a lifetime of experience. Gentle encouragement, expressions of faith, and enduring advice for everyday problems will bring a smile to your face and gratitude to your heart for the small and simple things in your own life that make all the difference.
Unknown Binding, 154 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Small and Simple Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small and Simple Things

Holly Hoopes
I loved Sister Hinkley's book!! I thought her inspirational thoughts were great and the recipes were nice. I actually read this in one sitting and on my B-day I was really sick and my toddler son was so sick as well. The day was filled with doctor appointments and I just wanted to get the day over with so we could get better and not have to try and celebrate me! I just opened this book to one page and read this.
"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahe
Linda
"Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children in righteousness, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for and relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. D ...more
Jeannie
I love this book! I love the beautiful photographs, the quotes, the scriptures, and Sister Hinckley's gentle advice on living well. I read it in its entirety again today for the second or third time. It is the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon read. When I pick up this book, even if I only read a page or two, I feel as if I'm curled up next to a loving grandmother who would do anything to help me get it right.

After today's reading, I finally understand and feel as if I have internalized Alma 37:6.
Carrie
This is one of those "thoughts" books on various subjects. Nice pictures too. I love the wisdom of sister Hinckley! There are so many great quotes in this book.
my favorite is probably this one:

"We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is we know when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our best, we experience a peace."

page. 77

I have loved
Beth A.
This little book is full of beautiful photography, and Marjorie Pay Hinckley's wise advice, full of hope and compassion. What a lovely person she must have been. I borrowed this one and I hate to give it back.
Nicole
Love Sister Hinckley's views on life and families and love. She is always inspiring and I learn something in a new way each time I open this book. Love comes through and teaches my heart.
Kami
- I've always admired Sister Hinckley's outlook on life. I thought this book would be filled with fun and uplifting things. It didn't disappoint.

- I loved how she talks about food and shared some of her favorite recipes.

- I liked how she mentioned to not over schedule your kids or yourself. It is good to leave time to spend together. Gnome is in preschool and dance. I'd like her to take piano lessons, but it is hard to know how much is too much.

- The book is mostly a compilation of Sister Hinck
Molly
I love her simple, down-to-earth, humorous approach to life. She was a great example of love, service, motherhood and being a wife. A quick, easy and inspiring read.
Amy
A great book for an uplifting daily thought!
Jamille Parks
I always admired the way President Hinckley cherished his wife. I thought she was an amazing example of what a Latter-day Saint woman should be. At this time in my life, I've had to face many decisions and crossroads. I found this in my Grandmother's bookshelf and started to read. I felt comfort and love through the little thoughts that she shared.

If you want something simple, and to feel the spirit, I recommend reading this. Do you need a pick me up, pick this up and remember the small and sim
Jonelle Tiffany Boulter
I loved this book. I love Marjorie Hinckley. I imagine this is a reflection of what legacy she wanted to leave the world, what words of advice she wanted to share with generations to come.
I love the sweet wisdom Marjorie shares. I feel as if she is my own grandmother.
Marjorie shares her thoughts,testimony of Jesus Christ, the experiences she's had throughout her own life, and recipes.
Very charming, uplifting, spiritually simple and profound.
Mindy
A great little book of thought written by a lady I really admire. My favorite quotes from the book:
"You can choose to cry or laugh. I like to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."
"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
Great words from a wonderful lady.
Kellie
Love this. Sometimes I keep it on my nightstand with other daily devotional reading material, such as scriptures and parenting books. It always uplifts with Sister Hinckley's wit, humor and practical view of life.
Sara
Great quotes from a very wise woman! This is a good book to have around when you need a little pick-me-up boost of hope and comfort. Just open to any page and be inspired.
Jennifer Hughes
This is the sweetest little book of pictures, recipes, and homespun wisdom. I love Marjorie Hinckley's humble voice and humor. Her wheat bread recipe is fabulous!
Paige
A beautiful book of insights from a remarkable woman. Sister Hinckley shares the wisdom of her age with us. It was thought provoking and tender.
Heather
One of my favorites, ever.
Stephanie
A lovely book of short thoughts.
Melissa
My mother-in-law gave me this book as a Christmas present. I know she found it dirt cheap on a clearance rack, but I must say what a wonderful bargain it was! A very quick read. It was a lovely book. If you are a little depressed or down in the dumps, this book lets you have a glimpse into the life of a remarkable woman and realize she was just like you and I. Normal. I thought it was a great book. It helped me appreciate my everyday life and my role as a wife, mother and friend.
Kaitlyn
Feb 24, 2012 Kaitlyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is one of the books I think I want to ALWAYS be reading-- as soon as I finish it, just start again from the beginning that same day. It is full of so much wisdom from one of the sweetest ladies that ever lived, and so much of it is advice that can make each and everyday better. It's a super uplifting book that just makes life look wonderful. And the pictures in it are absolutely gorgeous-- another reminder of how blessed we are and the beautiful world we live in!
Shannon
This book was given to me by a friend at my bridal shower on the day of Sister Hinckley's funeral. It is the kind of book that I like to pick up and thumb through a few pages just for a nice little pick me up. Not only are the pictures nice, her wisdom, quick humor and deeply rooted testimony are inspiring. And she included some recipes, so fun! It's a definite must read, it only takes about 30 minutes.
Ann Christensen
Great little tidbits into the life of Sister Hinckley... My favorite is when she tells the story about how her husband planted about 50 tomato plants in their garden and they had so many tomatoes they were giving them away! It was during the depression and they ended being able to sell some too and make a little extra money. She gives practical advice and you can appreciate her sense of humor!
Heidi
There are some great quotes in this book by Marjorie Hinckley as well as other quotes and scriptures that tie into her ideas. One of my favorite quotes was “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” There are also a few recipes that she collected over the years that I plan on trying out.
Ronnie
Dec 18, 2007 Ronnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needing encouragement
This is a great daily devotional book. I purchased it at an LDS Women's "Time Out for Women" in Sacramento last year. You will enjoy Marjorie Hinckleys gentle encouragement, expressions of faith, and enduring advice for everday problems will bring a smile to your face and gratitude to your heart for the small and simple things in your own life that make all the difference.
Gretchen
wonderful anecdotes, scriptures and recipes from a woman whose husband was a prophet/or servant of God for most of their married life. I love reading these--I have given many copies as gifts. A great pick me up--it is short--the whole book can be read in less than an hour but spend some time thinking about what she has said and improve your own life.
Susan
I have read this little treasure over and over again. I think I've bought it as many times as well. This book is the ultimate "Perfect Gift".
It has such sweet and simple beauty in it. There is something for everyone in this book.....tears, humor, love, happiness, advice, recipes, etc...You can't go wrong with this book.
Love the author dearly.
Alison
I just re-read this book and I fall more in love with this woman the more I read about her. She has the quickest, cutest sense of humor and a wonderfully positive spirit about her. I truly admire her for the life she built, the home she created, the children she raised, and the prophet/husband she so obviously inspired as well.
Tricia
This book was like little grandmotherly hugs that encourage you to be kind, to have faith, and to hold onto the simple things in life. My favorite quote is "Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." The rest of the book is just as compassionate and views the world through experienced, patient, kind eyes.
Kenz
This book was a lot different than I thought it would be. I loved how, to be cliche, simple it was. It make syou look at life in a more light-hearted way, no matter the circumstances. The pictures on each page helped with her effect. Her personality and sense of humor make you want to be a better person.
Mandy
This book was given to me several years ago and I really enjoy it. I keep it on my nightstand and when my brain is going a mile a minute and I have a hard time slowing it down to meditate I like to pick this one up and read the liitle snippets. Great words from a beautiful and wise (and humorous) woman.
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Our Latter-Day Hymns: The Stories and the Messages
  • Being Enough
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Because He First Loved Us
Born Marjorie Pay on 23 November 1911, in Nephi, Utah, she was the first child of Phillip LeRoy and Georgetta Paxman Pay. She had four sisters and two brothers, but one brother died in infancy. The family moved to Salt Lake City in 1914 where Marjorie began her education. She graduated from East High School in 1929 and went to work at the Owens Illinois Glass Company performing secretarial duties. ...more
More about Marjorie Pay Hinckley...
Letters To Women: Is This What I Was Born To Do? Mothering: Everyday Choices, Eternal Blessings

“I know it is hard for you young mothers to believe that almost before you can turn around the children will be gone and you will be alone with your husband. You had better be sure you are developing the kind of love and friendship that will be delightful and enduring. Let the children learn from your attitude that he is important. Encourage him. Be kind. It is a rough world, and he, like everyone else, is fighting to survive. Be cheerful. Don't be a whiner.” 179 likes
“Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for an relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time. Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. Do them with enthusiasm. Do whatever you have to do this week with your whole heart and soul. To do less than this will leave you with an empty feeling.” 121 likes