Start by marking “Small and Simple Things” as Want to Read:
Small and Simple Things

Small and Simple Things

4.59  ·  Rating Details ·  2,504 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
In these pages, Sister Hinckley shares some of the small and simple things she has gleaned from a lifetime of experience. Gentle encouragement, expressions of faith, and enduring advice for everyday problems will bring a smile to your face and gratitude to your heart for the small and simple things in your own life that make all the difference.
Unknown Binding, 154 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Small and Simple Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small and Simple Things

Linda
Oct 06, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
"Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children in righteousness, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for and relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. D ...more
Chrisanne
Apr 10, 2015 Chrisanne rated it really liked it
Darling little book. But it is so much better watching Sister Hinckley live. That way you get a taste of how wonderfully human and amazing she was.
Nicole
Feb 09, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Love Sister Hinckley's views on life and families and love. She is always inspiring and I learn something in a new way each time I open this book. Love comes through and teaches my heart.
Amy
Jan 04, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
A great book for an uplifting daily thought!
Angie
Feb 20, 2017 Angie rated it it was amazing
I read this book in preparation for a lesson I taught at church. It was a quick but powerful little book. So many gems of wisdom and insight. I marked several pages to go back to and ponder on more.
My favorite quote was "The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. ... Crying gives me a headache.” She was just a lovely, lovely woman!
Alex
Dec 15, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
"... the seemingly insignificant things we do over and over actually weave the pattern of our lives."
"Who knows but that something wonderful may happen today. Have faith that it will. After all, every morning is a chance at a new day!"
"The gospel calls to us to stretch ourselves, to embrace our talents, to concentrate on our strengths, to be productive, which few of us ever do. We seem to get discouraged by such trivial things and fail to see the great things we are capable of doing."
"We are God
Jeannie
I love this book! I love the beautiful photographs, the quotes, the scriptures, and Sister Hinckley's gentle advice on living well. I read it in its entirety again today for the second or third time. It is the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon read. When I pick up this book, even if I only read a page or two, I feel as if I'm curled up next to a loving grandmother who would do anything to help me get it right.

After today's reading, I finally understand and feel as if I have internalized Alma 37:6.
Holly Hoopes
Mar 19, 2008 Holly Hoopes rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved Sister Hinkley's book!! I thought her inspirational thoughts were great and the recipes were nice. I actually read this in one sitting and on my B-day I was really sick and my toddler son was so sick as well. The day was filled with doctor appointments and I just wanted to get the day over with so we could get better and not have to try and celebrate me! I just opened this book to one page and read this.
"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahe
Kami
Sep 21, 2014 Kami rated it liked it
- I've always admired Sister Hinckley's outlook on life. I thought this book would be filled with fun and uplifting things. It didn't disappoint.

- I loved how she talks about food and shared some of her favorite recipes.

- I liked how she mentioned to not over schedule your kids or yourself. It is good to leave time to spend together. Gnome is in preschool and dance. I'd like her to take piano lessons, but it is hard to know how much is too much.

- The book is mostly a compilation of Sister Hinck
Debbie Williams
Jun 30, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it it was amazing
The Hinckleys were a couple that I admired so much because they were real, down to earth and not phoney. This book provided not only great wisdom from a great woman, but beautiful pictures, some of her recipes, and it was a quick inspiring read. Love her quote, "You can choose to cry or laught. I like to laugh. Crying gives me a headache." It reminds me of something I tell my own kids when they say, "I was thinking....." I reply, "Don't do it! It will give you a headache!"

Oh, the simple live wh
Carrie
May 17, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing
This is one of those "thoughts" books on various subjects. Nice pictures too. I love the wisdom of sister Hinckley! There are so many great quotes in this book.
my favorite is probably this one:

"We each do the best we can. My best may not be as good as your best, but it's my best. The fact is we know when we are doing our best and when we are not. If we are not doing our best, it leaves us with a gnawing hunger and frustration. But when we do our best, we experience a peace."

page. 77

I have loved
Jamille Parks
Nov 12, 2014 Jamille Parks rated it it was amazing
I always admired the way President Hinckley cherished his wife. I thought she was an amazing example of what a Latter-day Saint woman should be. At this time in my life, I've had to face many decisions and crossroads. I found this in my Grandmother's bookshelf and started to read. I felt comfort and love through the little thoughts that she shared.

If you want something simple, and to feel the spirit, I recommend reading this. Do you need a pick me up, pick this up and remember the small and sim
Shannon
Apr 11, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by a friend at my bridal shower on the day of Sister Hinckley's funeral. It is the kind of book that I like to pick up and thumb through a few pages just for a nice little pick me up. Not only are the pictures nice, her wisdom, quick humor and deeply rooted testimony are inspiring. And she included some recipes, so fun! It's a definite must read, it only takes about 30 minutes.
Kaitlyn
Nov 08, 2011 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This is one of the books I think I want to ALWAYS be reading-- as soon as I finish it, just start again from the beginning that same day. It is full of so much wisdom from one of the sweetest ladies that ever lived, and so much of it is advice that can make each and everyday better. It's a super uplifting book that just makes life look wonderful. And the pictures in it are absolutely gorgeous-- another reminder of how blessed we are and the beautiful world we live in!
Jonelle Tiffany Boulter
Jun 07, 2014 Jonelle Tiffany Boulter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religous, self-help
I loved this book. I love Marjorie Hinckley. I imagine this is a reflection of what legacy she wanted to leave the world, what words of advice she wanted to share with generations to come.
I love the sweet wisdom Marjorie shares. I feel as if she is my own grandmother.
Marjorie shares her thoughts,testimony of Jesus Christ, the experiences she's had throughout her own life, and recipes.
Very charming, uplifting, spiritually simple and profound.
Melissa
Mar 10, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
My mother-in-law gave me this book as a Christmas present. I know she found it dirt cheap on a clearance rack, but I must say what a wonderful bargain it was! A very quick read. It was a lovely book. If you are a little depressed or down in the dumps, this book lets you have a glimpse into the life of a remarkable woman and realize she was just like you and I. Normal. I thought it was a great book. It helped me appreciate my everyday life and my role as a wife, mother and friend.
Heidi
Mar 29, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some great quotes in this book by Marjorie Hinckley as well as other quotes and scriptures that tie into her ideas. One of my favorite quotes was “The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” There are also a few recipes that she collected over the years that I plan on trying out.
Ronnie
Dec 18, 2007 Ronnie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone needing encouragement
This is a great daily devotional book. I purchased it at an LDS Women's "Time Out for Women" in Sacramento last year. You will enjoy Marjorie Hinckleys gentle encouragement, expressions of faith, and enduring advice for everday problems will bring a smile to your face and gratitude to your heart for the small and simple things in your own life that make all the difference.
Alison
Aug 04, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing
I just re-read this book and I fall more in love with this woman the more I read about her. She has the quickest, cutest sense of humor and a wonderfully positive spirit about her. I truly admire her for the life she built, the home she created, the children she raised, and the prophet/husband she so obviously inspired as well.
Tricia
Mar 27, 2013 Tricia rated it liked it
Shelves: life-lessons
This book was like little grandmotherly hugs that encourage you to be kind, to have faith, and to hold onto the simple things in life. My favorite quote is "Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." The rest of the book is just as compassionate and views the world through experienced, patient, kind eyes.
Debbie
Feb 27, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
"Small and Simple Things" by Marjorie Pay Hinckley is a delightful little book filled with bits of wisdom and wit that brought a smile to my heart. It includes a few short stories, some favorite recipes, and some scriptures and quotes that are inspiring. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it!!!
Mandy
Aug 17, 2011 Mandy rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me several years ago and I really enjoy it. I keep it on my nightstand and when my brain is going a mile a minute and I have a hard time slowing it down to meditate I like to pick this one up and read the liitle snippets. Great words from a beautiful and wise (and humorous) woman.
Susan
Jun 05, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I have read this little treasure over and over again. I think I've bought it as many times as well. This book is the ultimate "Perfect Gift".
It has such sweet and simple beauty in it. There is something for everyone in this book.....tears, humor, love, happiness, advice, recipes, etc...You can't go wrong with this book.
Love the author dearly.
Ann Christensen
Aug 03, 2008 Ann Christensen rated it it was amazing
Great little tidbits into the life of Sister Hinckley... My favorite is when she tells the story about how her husband planted about 50 tomato plants in their garden and they had so many tomatoes they were giving them away! It was during the depression and they ended being able to sell some too and make a little extra money. She gives practical advice and you can appreciate her sense of humor!
Kenz
Sep 25, 2008 Kenz rated it really liked it
This book was a lot different than I thought it would be. I loved how, to be cliche, simple it was. It make syou look at life in a more light-hearted way, no matter the circumstances. The pictures on each page helped with her effect. Her personality and sense of humor make you want to be a better person.
Gretchen
Jul 24, 2008 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
wonderful anecdotes, scriptures and recipes from a woman whose husband was a prophet/or servant of God for most of their married life. I love reading these--I have given many copies as gifts. A great pick me up--it is short--the whole book can be read in less than an hour but spend some time thinking about what she has said and improve your own life.
Jeanna
Mar 04, 2008 Jeanna rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeanna by: Carol Jenson
beautiful pictures with quotes to lift my day. Jeremy was inspired by it and is making his own "reverent book" as he named it with beautiful pictures he took and he is adding his favorite scriptures.
Debcrittenden
Apr 05, 2010 Debcrittenden rated it really liked it
My visiting teacher gave this to me for my B-day last year and I finally read it straight through. It's just little tidbits of inspiration and motivation. I love sister Hinckley, she was a wise and wonderful woman.
Nancy Beard
Jul 30, 2008 Nancy Beard rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and how simple it was shown how to put things in your life together, without a lot of fuss/ And written so you could understand her meanings and good recipes interwoved into the book..Nancy
Beth A.
Dec 31, 2011 Beth A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, lds
This little book is full of beautiful photography, and Marjorie Pay Hinckley's wise advice, full of hope and compassion. What a lovely person she must have been. I borrowed this one and I hate to give it back.
  • One Bright Shining Hope
  • Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
  • No One Can Take Your Place
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: David O. McKay
  • A Quiet Heart
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Lighten Up
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
Born Marjorie Pay on 23 November 1911, in Nephi, Utah, she was the first child of Phillip LeRoy and Georgetta Paxman Pay. She had four sisters and two brothers, but one brother died in infancy. The family moved to Salt Lake City in 1914 where Marjorie began her education. She graduated from East High School in 1929 and went to work at the Owens Illinois Glass Company performing secretarial duties. ...more
More about Marjorie Pay Hinckley...

“I know it is hard for you young mothers to believe that almost before you can turn around the children will be gone and you will be alone with your husband. You had better be sure you are developing the kind of love and friendship that will be delightful and enduring. Let the children learn from your attitude that he is important. Encourage him. Be kind. It is a rough world, and he, like everyone else, is fighting to survive. Be cheerful. Don't be a whiner.” 203 likes
“Think about your particular assignment at this time in your life. It may be to get an education, it may be to rear children, it may be to be a grandparent, it may be to care for an relieve the suffering of someone you love, it may be to do a job in the most excellent way possible, it may be to support someone who has a difficult assignment of their own. Our assignments are varied and they change from time to time. Don't take them lightly. Give them your full heart and energy. Do them with enthusiasm. Do whatever you have to do this week with your whole heart and soul. To do less than this will leave you with an empty feeling.” 138 likes