Start by marking “Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections” as Want to Read:
Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections

Glimpses of Grace: Daily Thoughts and Reflections

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  19 reviews
For half a century, Madeleine L'Engle has spun magic with words, touching millions of lives and earning a devoted readership with her award-winning fiction, candid reflections on her personal and family life and graceful meditations on faith. Now, Glimpses of Grace captures the essence of L'Engle's literary gift in one unprecedented volume.Ranging freely throughout L'Engle ...more
Published December 29th 1997 by HarperOne (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Glimpses of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glimpses of Grace

Katie
This is a great collection of quotes from Madeleine's books - beautiful, thought-provoking words for every day of the year. I've been reading it nearly all year and finally decided to review it. :)
Gheeta
I would have to say that this is one of my new favorite books that will remain in my annual rotation for years to come. I did not read it as a daily devotional, but rather in sips and gulps as I needed spiritual refreshment during the past couple of months. It is full of L'Engle's unique spiritual reflections on God, Christianity, spirituality, and humanity, written through the lens of her vast personal anthology. Daily reflections are pulled from several of her works of literature varying from ...more
Janet Stobie
superb. I have given copies of it as gifts to others. To derive full benefit one must read her other works. I use it over and over again as a meditation guide.
Jan
Powerful and profound. Love what she writes!!!
Allison
This is a book of daily thoughts and reflections taken from Madeleine L'Engle's writings. Probably they expect people to read only one day's thought as a sort of devotion for that day and then think about it throughout the day. However, either personally or situationally, I just don't read books like that so it took me far less time that I year to read this book. It was a thoughtful and reverent book.
Elizabeth
Carole Chase compiled excerpts from L'Engle's books, both fiction and non-fiction, to create a book of daily meditations. The subjects somewhat coincide with the church calendar. It's nice if you are familiar with L'Engle's characters and storylines, but if you aren't you might miss the larger meaning on some days. As daily devotional books go, it would have to be one of my favorites.
Charlanne
If you like Madeleine L'Engle and enjoy having a daily reflection or meditation of some sort, this is a great read. However, it leaves you wanting to know and read more, whether it's of her books or of the God she describes, so if you can handle the tension of a book leaving you with a desire you are not sure how to fulfill, then grab it.
Aneta
Love this book. So many wise words..quotable quotes.. L'Engle makes me think about things in a new way and gives words and validation to things I think about. This a great book to have on hand for reading and savoring a few minutes at a time. Definitely a book to reread.
Kerith
Recommended for readers already familiar with Madeleine L'Engle's spiritual writings. Carole Chase has carefully put together a devotional-style book with a reading for each day of the year. Good for quick sips of a favorite author's words.
Laurie
Another of her books that I read all the time. I had never read her children's books but had to after reading the quotes from them in this book.

A treasure and a thank you to my sister who gave to me as a birthday gift.
Kate Schaefer
I love her. If I could give this book to everyone I know I would. It is on my nightstand all year long. I open it at random and she always gives me something to think about.
Maggie
I started this book at the beginning of the year and it is wonderful. I truly look forward to reading it each day.
Julia
Daily devotional that I use every day and have for a couple years now. Never gets old.
this is a really nice compilation of excerpts from her books. i'm really enjoying it.
Sonja
I expected something more unique and it is mostly excerpts from her books.
Mindy Danylak
an excerpt a day from madeline l'engle -- what could be better than that?!
Kelli
Madeleine always has wise words of wisdom to share.
Chre
As a devotional, I was somewhat disappointed.
Terry
May 02, 2012 Terry is currently reading it
Shelves: on-going
Loving this one!!
Brenda Coleman
Brenda Coleman marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Susanne Donovan
Susanne Donovan marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Aalarfaj
Aalarfaj marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Caitlin Monks
Caitlin Monks marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Ksbaxter
Ksbaxter marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • The Women's Bible Commentary with Apocrypha (Expanded Edition)
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • With Burning Hearts: A Meditation on the Eucharistic Life
  • Acedia & Me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer's Life
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Christ
  • Womanspirit Rising: A Feminist Reader in Religion
  • A Year with C. S. Lewis: Daily Readings from His Classic Works
Madeleine L'Engle was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and Many Waters. Her works reflect her strong interest in modern science: tesseracts, for example, are featured prominently in A Wrinkle in Time, mitochondrial DNA in A Wind in the Door, organ regener ...more
More about Madeleine L'Engle...
A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1) A Wind in the Door (Time, #2) A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3) Many Waters (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #4) A Ring of Endless Light (Austin Family, #5)

“Questions are disturbing, especially those which may threaten our traditions, our institutions, our security. But questions never threaten the living God, who is constantly calling us, and who affirms for us that love is stronger than hate, blessings stronger than cursing.” 6 likes
“Jesus, who comes across in the Gospels as extraordinarily strong, begged in the garden, with drops of sweat like blood running down his face, that he might be spared the terrible cup ahead of him, the betrayal and abandonment by his friends, death on the cross. Because Jesus cried out in anguish, we may too. But our fear is less frequent and infinitely less if we are close to the Creator. Jesus, having cried out, then let his fear go, and moved on.” 4 likes