Blank-133x176
Coat Of Many Colors

Dolly Parton

Coat Of Many Colors

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Dolly Parton's first book for children is based on her own childhood in the rolling Tennessee hills. When a little girl's mama makes her a coat out of rags, the other children at school laugh at her, but she soon learns that riches come in many forms. Judith Sutton's warm pictures bring the world of Dolly's childhood lovingly to life. Full color.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Coat Of Many Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coat Of Many Colors

Traci
This was a very light-hearted, feel-good book. It is about a young girl who does not have a lot of money, so her mom makes her a coat out of rags. She gets made fun of for it but she loves it because it was made with her mother's love. The girl in the story is adorable and the pictures are great. I noticed that the pages were framed with designs of the rags that made up the jacket, and I thought that was neat. The girl in the pictures sort of reminds me of me when I was little; she has blond hai...more
Kris at Book Wishes
My little 4 year old picked this up at the library I had no time to thumb through like I usually do we were on our way out. So I hurried and placed it on the counter for her to check out. Sometimes you pick a book and sometimes a book picks you. This one picked our family. I have never read a book written by Dolly Parton I do like her music but when I saw the writer I was in a oh no mode another singer or celebrity trying to write a book that is, what honestly went through my mind.

After I read t...more
Kristen Kurre
Coat of Many Colors is about a girl growing up in Tennessee. Winter is coming and a little girl has no coat. Her mother uses rags to sew the girl a winter coat. The little girl is so excited about her new coat, but the children at school laugh at her. She explains how much love her mother put into making her coat. She explains how she feels rich because her mother put so much love and effort into creating the coat. I would use this book in a kindergarten to first grade class to teach them two s...more
Maddie
Dolly Parton wrote this book about a memory from her childhood. She says on the back that, "I believe all children are special, and I hope my story will help children everywhere believe they're special too." This book is very pleasing visually and it would be a good book to read to students about bullying.
Purity
Apr 03, 2014 Purity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, parents
An adorable children's story about a poor young girl (Dolly) who's mother sewed a coat out of scraps from the scrap bag for her. A good book to read to your little ones to tell them that even though people may not be rich with money, they can still be rich with family and love.
Bunnyjadwiga
Charming illustrations for Parton's nostalgic story-song about how a mother's labor of love turns found items into a treasured gift for her child, and love and hard work triumphs over the drag of poverty.
Mary Ann
Everyone knows I have been a fan of Dolly Parton since the early 1970's when no one else liked her in my circle of acquaintances. This book, which I purchased for my granddaughter Ruby, has illustrations I thoroughly approve of for the words to the song "Coat of Many Colors". When I first heard the song on the radio, it expressed perfectly my deepfelt joy and appreciation of my grandmother Florence, ("Mammaw"), who quilted all her life through years of poverty. She raised five children and bore...more
Carole
A picture book made from a song that Dolly Parton wrote, beautifully illustrated.
Beckie Coldiron
This book is based off Dolly Parton's song, " Coat of Many Colors" song. This book is filled with much love, as Parton explains how growing up she was often made fun of for having a hand-made coat made from rags. In today's society, I believe a book like this is imperative because children need to understand that times are difficult and we need to appreciate what we have. I believe you could do a fun lesson with this book, by having children turn their favorite song into a story or vice versa. I...more
Claire
Way cute illustrations and way cute book. Many years ago, Dolly Parton wrote a song called Coat of Many Colors. The book's narrative is the song. which is wonderful, becuase if you know the song you can sing it to your children as you read the book. The last page has two additional sentences added.
the song was written off a true story that happened to dolly when she was a little girl. i love this song and book because it teaches a great lesson and with a story wrapped all in one.
Hannah
PB 49

I always enjoyed this book as a child. This book could be really great for children who do not have a lot. This book could also teach children about understanding that others don't always have new things, but the things that they do have are still special. The art is nice and suitable for the words. I understand why I enjoyed this book as a child.
Caroline Barnett
This is a heart-warming story written by Dolly Parton about her childhood. This book has a great message that money does not make you rich it is your family and friends that fill you life with love. I would use this book to help students remember that it is not okay to tease someone because they are different.
Brandy
I recommend reading this story to a kindergarten class. Not only is it a great book fro rhyming words, but there is a good life lesson taught too. Children need to see that there are many ways to be rich. This story shows students that they should be proud of where they come from no matter what.
Angela
Dolly Parton has told the story of wearing hand-me-down clothing in this endearing story of poverty and resilience. Good for discussion in memory care story times and adult ESL classrooms. Combine with a cd of the song --and the 'green' book "Shoes" about sending clothing overseas.
Jane
This book is a great read aloud book and it teaches a lesson about "be proud of what you have". There are many different types of family. All children are special in some way, and there should never be mean to or talk badly about somebody just because they' re different.
Hilary
"Sing me a story, tell me a song" (quote is Yours Truly).

Pictures are "pretty." Play the CD or sing it aloud -- my preference is still for "The Rag Coat" by Lauren Mills. Good choice for the storytime crowd.

Sherry
Beautiful illustrations to the wonderful message in the lyrics to Dolly Partons song "Coat of Many Colors." A wonderful lesson about the power of love and family regardless of financial circumstances.
Miranda
This is one of my all time favorite books! My Mom used to read this book to me and I cannot wait to be able to read this to my children in the future. Brings back really wonderful memories. :-)
Rebecca
I have had this book for years and read it many times to my children. I have yet to be able to make it through without my voice breaking up. Ok, I'm a sap, but it is very touching.
Diana
My niece Nina borrowed me this book and it was so cute....I loved it!
Nicole
I LOOOOOOVVVVEEEE this book!!! It is my favorite book from childhood!
Macy Morrison
favorite book! good lessons to learn from it.
Jo
Sep 29, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everone
Read and enjoy!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Osinachi Iwueze
Osinachi Iwueze marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Dolly Rebecca Parton is a Grammy Award-winning country music singer/songwriter, author, actress and philanthropist. To date, she remains one of the most successful country artists, with 25 number-one singles (a record for a female performer) and 42 top-10 country albums (more than anyone else).

She is known for her distinctive mountain soprano, sometimes bawdy humor, flamboyant dress sense, and her...more
More about Dolly Parton...
Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business Dream More I Am a Rainbow Dolly's Dixie Fixin's 9 to 5: The Musical