Start by marking “Coat Of Many Colors” as Want to Read:
Coat Of Many Colors

Coat Of Many Colors

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Dolly Parton's first book for children is based on her own childhood in the rolling Tennessee hills. When a little girl's mama makes her a coat out of rags, the other children at school laugh at her, but she soon learns that riches come in many forms. Judith Sutton's warm pictures bring the world of Dolly's childhood lovingly to life. Full color.
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Coat Of Many Colors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coat Of Many Colors

Krissy
Mar 20, 2016 Krissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My little 4 year old picked this up at the library I had no time to thumb through like I usually do we were on our way out. So I hurried and placed it on the counter for her to check out. Sometimes you pick a book and sometimes a book picks you. This one picked our family. I have never read a book written by Dolly Parton I do like her music but when I saw the writer I was in a oh no mode another singer or celebrity trying to write a book that is, what honestly went through my mind.

After I read t
Tabatha Weaver
Sep 11, 2015 Tabatha Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Coat Of Many Colors book is a book that is very special to me. I gave this book 5 stars because I love the story and my mother used to read/sing this book to me every night. This book is about a young girl that is very poor, her mother made her a coat of rags that were given to their family. Her friends at school laughed and made fun of her but she didn't care. I know this book so well I literally know every word. I loved my mother reading/singing it to me every night and I now sing and read ...more
Traci
Feb 08, 2012 Traci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very light-hearted, feel-good book. It is about a young girl who does not have a lot of money, so her mom makes her a coat out of rags. She gets made fun of for it but she loves it because it was made with her mother's love. The girl in the story is adorable and the pictures are great. I noticed that the pages were framed with designs of the rags that made up the jacket, and I thought that was neat. The girl in the pictures sort of reminds me of me when I was little; she has blond hai ...more
Kristen Kurre
Jun 10, 2014 Kristen Kurre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coat of Many Colors is about a girl growing up in Tennessee. Winter is coming and a little girl has no coat. Her mother uses rags to sew the girl a winter coat. The little girl is so excited about her new coat, but the children at school laugh at her. She explains how much love her mother put into making her coat. She explains how she feels rich because her mother put so much love and effort into creating the coat. I would use this book in a kindergarten to first grade class to teach them two s ...more
Linda B
Feb 05, 2015 Linda B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-with-music
Love the illustrations in this book!

I've been compiling a "Music & Book" bookshelf for sharing with students in January (A pretty blah month unless you have a birthday this month so I try to share funny books and books with fun or zippy music.) I haven't shared this book recently but in the past when I did, the students were very receptive and respectful. I played a Dolly Parton CD a friend loaned me instead of reading it.
Maddie
Dolly Parton wrote this book about a memory from her childhood. She says on the back that, "I believe all children are special, and I hope my story will help children everywhere believe they're special too." This book is very pleasing visually and it would be a good book to read to students about bullying.
Purity
Apr 03, 2014 Purity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, parents
An adorable children's story about a poor young girl (Dolly) who's mother sewed a coat out of scraps from the scrap bag for her. A good book to read to your little ones to tell them that even though people may not be rich with money, they can still be rich with family and love.
Courtney
This is a great book to teach acceptance and being content with what you have. It also shows children the importance of appreciating gifts from the heart. Its not about quantity, but quality. That is an important lesson I think all children need to be taught.
Emily
Feb 10, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book version of Dolly Parton's song is wonderful! The pictures are vivid and bring to life the song of her childhood. She tells the story of the coat that was made just for her and how much it meant to her.
Angie  Moore
Feb 27, 2016 Angie Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just heard about this book & that it was a TV movie at Christmas. Great story (real from what I read) and pretty illustrations. It is older so my library had to get it out of storage after I requested it.
Mary Ann
Sep 19, 2009 Mary Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone knows I have been a fan of Dolly Parton since the early 1970's when no one else liked her in my circle of acquaintances. This book, which I purchased for my granddaughter Ruby, has illustrations I thoroughly approve of for the words to the song "Coat of Many Colors". When I first heard the song on the radio, it expressed perfectly my deepfelt joy and appreciation of my grandmother Florence, ("Mammaw"), who quilted all her life through years of poverty. She raised five children and bore ...more
Danelle Spicer
A wonderful book based on Dolly Parton's childhood and song. A heartwarming story about a coat Dolly's mother made for her out of rags and when she wore it to school children made fun of her.
Carole
May 04, 2014 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
A picture book made from a song that Dolly Parton wrote, beautifully illustrated.
Beckie Coldiron
This book is based off Dolly Parton's song, " Coat of Many Colors" song. This book is filled with much love, as Parton explains how growing up she was often made fun of for having a hand-made coat made from rags. In today's society, I believe a book like this is imperative because children need to understand that times are difficult and we need to appreciate what we have. I believe you could do a fun lesson with this book, by having children turn their favorite song into a story or vice versa. I ...more
Katie (Katrina) Means
Great book about Dolly Parton and her coat of many colors. Wonderful illustrations and well written book. Could be used for many grade levels and various topics.
Tristan bowdler
Dec 26, 2015 Tristan bowdler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
this is really sad
Claire
Sep 26, 2010 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Way cute illustrations and way cute book. Many years ago, Dolly Parton wrote a song called Coat of Many Colors. The book's narrative is the song. which is wonderful, becuase if you know the song you can sing it to your children as you read the book. The last page has two additional sentences added.
the song was written off a true story that happened to dolly when she was a little girl. i love this song and book because it teaches a great lesson and with a story wrapped all in one.
Tara Frye
Jan 26, 2015 Tara Frye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was really sweet
Hannah
Dec 04, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB 49

I always enjoyed this book as a child. This book could be really great for children who do not have a lot. This book could also teach children about understanding that others don't always have new things, but the things that they do have are still special. The art is nice and suitable for the words. I understand why I enjoyed this book as a child.
Jen
Nov 07, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this song and the pictures are good
Caroline Barnett
This is a heart-warming story written by Dolly Parton about her childhood. This book has a great message that money does not make you rich it is your family and friends that fill you life with love. I would use this book to help students remember that it is not okay to tease someone because they are different.
Brandy
Apr 10, 2011 Brandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend reading this story to a kindergarten class. Not only is it a great book fro rhyming words, but there is a good life lesson taught too. Children need to see that there are many ways to be rich. This story shows students that they should be proud of where they come from no matter what.
Angela
Dolly Parton has told the story of wearing hand-me-down clothing in this endearing story of poverty and resilience. Good for discussion in memory care story times and adult ESL classrooms. Combine with a cd of the song --and the 'green' book "Shoes" about sending clothing overseas.
Jane
This book is a great read aloud book and it teaches a lesson about "be proud of what you have". There are many different types of family. All children are special in some way, and there should never be mean to or talk badly about somebody just because they' re different.
Hilary
"Sing me a story, tell me a song" (quote is Yours Truly).

Pictures are "pretty." Play the CD or sing it aloud -- my preference is still for "The Rag Coat" by Lauren Mills. Good choice for the storytime crowd.

Jennifer Heise
Charming illustrations for Parton's nostalgic story-song about how a mother's labor of love turns found items into a treasured gift for her child, and love and hard work triumphs over the drag of poverty.
Sherry
Jan 06, 2009 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations to the wonderful message in the lyrics to Dolly Partons song "Coat of Many Colors." A wonderful lesson about the power of love and family regardless of financial circumstances.
Miranda
Oct 16, 2011 Miranda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is one of my all time favorite books! My Mom used to read this book to me and I cannot wait to be able to read this to my children in the future. Brings back really wonderful memories. :-)
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for years and read it many times to my children. I have yet to be able to make it through without my voice breaking up. Ok, I'm a sap, but it is very touching.
Diana
Aug 30, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My niece Nina borrowed me this book and it was so cute....I loved it!
  • Skin Again
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • In My Family/En mi familia
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • I'll Always Love You
  • We're Off to Find the Witch's House
  • Our Children Can Soar: A Celebration of Rosa, Barack, and the Pioneers of Change
  • Sloppy Joe
  • That Book Woman
  • Norma Jean, Jumping Bean
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Papá and Me
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Mud
Dolly Rebecca Parton is a Grammy Award-winning country music singer/songwriter, author, actress and philanthropist. To date, she remains one of the most successful country artists, with 25 number-one singles (a record for a female performer) and 42 top-10 country albums (more than anyone else).

She is known for her distinctive mountain soprano, sometimes bawdy humor, flamboyant dress sense, and her
More about Dolly Parton...

“A minute to Dolly's like a lifetime to everybody else.” 0 likes